Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2011, 06:37 PM   #1 
briser

Disgusted with my LPS!

There are two pet stores in my area. One is a chain, Pet's Unlimited, and one is a locally owned one. Pet's Unlimited doesn't have a TON of correct knowledge on pets but they do keep pretty good care of their animals, Bettas are usually in .5g cup things, hamsters are in big play areas with lots of food, water, wheels. Basically, all of their animals have constant access to fresh food and water and the ability to exercise.

I went to the other pet store just to check prices. (The prices there were outrageous, each item was 4$+ more at this pet store compared to PU.)

When I got there... Three large puppies in a little container that was 3ft by 1ft. (It was bigger but there was a divider up so they had no access to the other side.). No food, no water, a few little toys. Hamsters: No food, no water, and no exercise wheel (which are ESSENTIAL) and there was like 8 in a little 1ftx1ft cage thing. They were fighting and going nuts. I put my hand in and they bit me because they were so hungry. Same goes for the rats, ferrets, guinea pigs, rabbits and gerbils. The lizards that needed moist living areas had completely dry spaces. And the bettas were in half and inch of dirty water in little cups.

I am in the process of writing a VERY ANGRY letter, and I will deliver it right to the store myself. I am also going to be taking pictures next time I'm in and reporting the store to my province. I am DISGUSTED at the way they treat their poor animals!!!
briser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:46 PM   #2 
TheBlueBettaFish

Agreed! I hate when people do that and say "God, their just fish, dude. Chill..." I'm like CHILL?!?! YOU WANT ME TO CHILL WHEN POOR, INNOCENT ANIMALS ARE SUFFERING?!?!??!?! That's terrible how they treat their animals (local PS). Stupid people.
TheBlueBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:53 PM   #3 
Pitluvs

I can vouch for everything briser says about this store, it's horrible. When I wanted a second betta after Venom, Pets Unlimited only had black/blue VT's. I wanted something different so I went to THIS exact store. You smell everything as soon as you walk in, the cages and tanks are disgusting and the dogs are kept in a small pen in the middle of the store. If they are puppies, there is a divider they use so they pups can't poop in the middle of the pen (harder to get). Everything in that store smells, you can barely see through the glass of the small animals. The birds? Caked with feces in their small area too. And then the Bettas... you can imagine how they are kept :(

2 years ago you could walk in there and be greeted by lovely workers and the place was amazing! But that's what happens when you hire people who want to work. The new people... blah. I have actually thought of asking if they need help. I have TOLD the owner to his face, clean the place up 'cause people are talking. He doesn't care. The last time I was there, he was saying the F word over and over, right beside my 3 year old son.

And everything is MUCH more expensive than our chain store. Our chain store may be a bit brain dead but at least they give the animals room, food and clean water.

I have heard they drug the puppies to make them sleep more, less work, and you are now not allowed to bother them if they are sleeping.

Last edited by Pitluvs; 07-25-2011 at 06:56 PM.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:58 PM   #4 
TheBlueBettaFish

Gosh, they DRUG the puppies?! Ugh...
TheBlueBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:15 PM   #5 
TheCrysCat

Wait, so this guy was swearing at you, the customer? Being next to your son is bad enough, but that's bad business, period.
TheCrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:37 PM   #6 
Pitluvs

No no not at me, he was swearing because of something someone said on the phone and he was talking to one of the girls that worked there. True story.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:39 PM   #7 
TheCrysCat

Still, shouldn't be swearing in front of, you know, the people that give you money :P Couldn't you get the ASPCA involved with the drugging puppies thing?
TheCrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:50 PM   #8 
Loralyn94

Just reading this makes me furious. I hate seeing stores that are so caught up in the money and you can tell that dont give a crap about their animals. I understand that as a store you need to make a profit, but when the difference between giving animals a horrid life and what they deserve is just a few measly dollars sickens me to no extent.

I'm so glad that none of the pet stores near me are anything close to this. The ones close to me may not always have the best knowledge of what should be done, but the animals are all taken good care of.
Loralyn94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:59 PM   #9 
youlovegnats

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrysCat View Post
Still, shouldn't be swearing in front of, you know, the people that give you money :P Couldn't you get the ASPCA involved with the drugging puppies thing?
Yeah, I'd get on that- telling the ASPCA...animals shouldn't be in anything near that condition...poor things :(
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:16 PM   #10 
Pitluvs

The only issue with OUR SPCA is.. I rescued small animals from them last summer. FROM THEM, yup! I got a call that there was 5 rats dropped off at the SPCA from a friend, so I called them for information. They told me they were kept in the cat play room (loose cats) and if I wanted them to come and get them. I asked if they cared who got them, and they said no. Pet or Supper, we just want them gone.

I picked them up and their cages were horrible, 4 inch of feces, bars were slime with urine and feces combined. Most of them had upper respiratory infections, some with sores on their feet. They kept them like this for a week. It took me 3 days to get the smell out of my entry, as I took them out of the cages and brought them into my apartment without the cages. They were tossed into the heavy garbage pile!

Our SPCA doesn't care about small animals, they don't deal with reptiles and pet stores are considered product :( This place is horrible.