Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2011, 09:58 PM   #1 
sunrise2397

Question feeding fishes?

so whenever i get my ten gallon tank i want to keep other fish in there to. but i was wondering since the other fish are a totally different breed than the bettas, how would i feed both the fishes with different food? or do i use the same food but what brand?
sunrise2397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:52 PM   #2 
Nexangelus

Nope, unless you're going to net the betta (which I don't advise...) he's going to get some of the food. What I do in my tank (betta + tropicals) is turn the filter off, drop pellets on one side and the flakes on the other. Minimizes the amount of tropical flakes the betta gets. Just remember not to feed him too many pellets if he's also getting some flakes. :)
Nexangelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:55 PM   #3 
sunrise2397

ohh okay that helped haha i wasnt sure what to do!XD but i am now so thank you:)
Old 07-26-2011, 02:41 AM   #4 
copperarabian

Normally netting would be bad, but when my king betta was in my 15g I would catch him in my big cichlid net and instead of taking him out I would let it rest on the aquariums frame, it gave him 6" to swim in any direction and he never got stripes from it.

So if you happen to have a giant net around I would use it if it doesn't stress your fish out, especially if you have slower fish, or bottom dwellers who eat algae wafers.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:24 PM   #5 
sunrise2397

ohh okay ya thats also what i was wondering i could do if it didnt stress my fish out, thank you!

hmm i have another question, but its not about this topic... my betta girl had fin rot, which i think looks better, but now im noticing that she may have SBD. i went to walmart to get the epson(or epsom, i have no clue how to spell it) salt but couldnt find it. would it be bad if i put her back in her five gallon tank without treating her, or would the SBD get worse?
Old 07-28-2011, 02:48 AM   #6 
Sakura8

You can treat her in her 5 gallon tank with the epsom salt, 1 tsp per gallon. Is she having trouble swimming and is she bloated?

You may want to fast your betta one day a week, too, feed everyone else but not him. He'll still eat because he'll eat some of the flakes but he won't have his pellets.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:36 PM   #7 
sunrise2397

ohh okay, and when she swims shes a little tilted to the side, but she not at all bloated. do you know where i can get epsom salt? i went to walmart but i didnt know if i looked in the fish section, or if it was likee a human salt
Old 07-29-2011, 01:54 AM   #8 
Sakura8

Epsom salt is a human salt. Go to the medicine section of Wal-Mart. You can use Epsom salt as a soak for muscle aches or as a laxative. It's actually not a salt at all, either. It's magnesium someting something, I think . . . Make sure it has no additives, like scents or things like that.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:02 PM   #9 
sunrise2397

okayy thank you! when i went to walmart the other day i looked in the food section but i didnt find itXD haha but ill go soon again and ill make sure it has no additives. this is just a thought, as i havent even looked at all, but what if there is no epsom salt without the additives? would it hurt my betta?
Old 07-29-2011, 07:27 PM   #10 
JKfish

Believe me, there will be pure epsom salt available. If you can't find it at walmart, try some local drug store like CVS. I bought a giant bag for all of like 4 dollars.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote