Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2011, 10:08 PM   #1 
smellsfishie

Exclamation Help Eggie- Breathing hard, laying on tank floor

Eggie has been "off" for awhile but I could not figure out what it could be. She's been eating fine, but less activity, and more and more laying on the floor. Today, she has not moved much from one spot and appears to be breathing hard/open mouth breathing like either something is stuck in her throat or she just is having a hard time breathing. I have NO clue what could be wrong with her, maybe a parasite? Maybe a bacterial thing? I was going to start General Cure tonight thinking maybe it could be gill flukes or something causing her to not be able to breathe properly? if anyone knows what this could be and how to treat it please let me know. I am starting the General Cure tonight though because that is all I have besides Betta Revive. I'm probably just going to treat the entire tank, it is safe for live plants...

I'll post a video of her in a few minutes once my camera charges so people can see what I mean...
smellsfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:49 PM   #2 
smellsfishie

waiting for the dumb video to load.........
Old 07-25-2011, 10:55 PM   #3 
Sakura8

Is she eating? Is she bloated? Any other signs of illness? When was her last water change?

They can also breathe hard when they can't rise to the surface as often or when it takes a lot of effort to move or when they are stressed.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:06 PM   #4 
smellsfishie

She ate like a champ a few days ago when I gave brine shrimp, but she is not a fan of pellets and that's what I have been feeding the past 2 days at least. I did the anti-parasite pellets today but none of the fish really cared for them... and I had to crush them cause they were huge. She doesn't look bloated but you can be the judge once I upload the videos. The only other thing that is odd to me is she looks like she lost a bit of color in the black part of her body. It's not quite as black as I think it was before. And water change, I honestly don't know the date. I want to say a few weeks ago. I tested the water 2 days ago and everything was great. My PH is high but it's always high. I know, I need to do a water change. Just been crazy... busy... She's also a bit clamp finned. I wonder if I should just treat her or the whole tank. if I do just her I will prob do Betta Revive which is for protozoan, bacterial, and fungal diseases... ingredients are water, neomycin sulfate (<10%), methylene blue (<0.5%), proprietary polymer mixture, buffers, EDTA, malachite green chloride (<0.01%), cyanocobalamin, and electrolytes.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:12 PM   #5 
Sakura8

What size is her tank? Sounds like some ammonia poisoning, that will cause them to become lethargic and breathe heavily. Clean water will help tremendously. If the other bettas aren't having any problems I don't know about dumping Betta Revive in there because it's got some powerful meds in there.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:24 PM   #6 
smellsfishie

No, I wasn't going to put betta revive in the whole tank. I was going to do that with General Cure in case it was a parasite. But, I think I will try the betta revive first by floating her in a cup in the tank. The tank is 28 gallons. If it was ammonia poisoning, wouldn't all the fish be acting that way? She's the only one acting sick...
Old 07-25-2011, 11:27 PM   #7 
smellsfishie

Here's the better video (IMO)... At about 1:32 or so you can see what I mean about the "open mouth breathing" although it is hard to tell because she is not facing the camera, but she is kind of flipping out there.... the rest of the time her breathing is labored but not open mouth...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLw6sfNymAo
Old 07-25-2011, 11:33 PM   #8 
smellsfishie

the other video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyYHD...el_video_title
Old 07-25-2011, 11:34 PM   #9 
Sakura8

Well, she still had enough energy to chase her tankmates away which was kind of funny. Nope, not ammonia poisoning, I didn't remember your tank was so big. I thought "Few weeks ago, small tank, yup, ammonia poisoning." >.<

Have you seen her rubbing up against any of the decor or the walls? That would say to me gill flukes but I would also think all the other girls would be rubbing too. At this point I would say yes, treat her with the Betta Revive. I hope it helps her, poor thing. She doesn't look desperately ill but she definitely doesn't look healthy. That she doesn't look desperately ill is good because hopefully it means you caught it in time for treatment to be effective.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:40 PM   #10 
smellsfishie

I'm just baffled as to what it could be. She hasn't been rubbing against rocks, none of the fish have. So, maybe it is not gill flukes. But, since I have had her, her belly area has always looked bruised so maybe that is something? She has always breathed a bit harder than my other fish but seemed totally fine otherwise so I thought maybe it was just the way she breathes... But now, she's doing this weird open mouth thing and laying on the tank floor all day (except to chase away the other fish :} or go up for air) and it's just so weird to me. Anyway, if I can cup her tonight I will try the betta revive. I'm going to mix it in a jug (1 drop to 16 fl. oz) and just change the cup water daily for like 3 days with the jug water (does that seem ok to do or will the meds not work unless it is mixed right away?)........ anyhoo thats my plan. I plan to float a "clean" cup with just the medicated water to switch her over to each day so it stays the same temp as her tank water... thoughts?