Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2011, 11:51 PM   #11 
Sakura8

No, that sounds like a good plan. I think the meds in the jug should work for up to a day or so, then you may need to mix a new batch. It doesn't sound like gill flukes to me, it sounds like perhaps she has some ammonia burn scars in her gills that she had before you got her and that's why she's always breathed a little harder than the others. How long are you supposed to treat her with Betta Revive?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:57 PM   #12 
smellsfishie

Up to 7 days with daily water changes. Minimum 3 days. I've had her since... like, mid-May... so, a little over 2 months. Do you think ammonia scars would last that long? I think the bruising is so weird.... maybe it is just her coloration, but she looks bruised... And honestly, I was SO mad when I got her because her IDIOT of a transhipper literally packed her in 1 teeny bag with only enough water to barely cover her, and threw her in a box with NO insulation, NO protection, just 2 pieces of newspaper shoved in there. I could kill him. I thought she got bruised in transport but the bruises have not gone away so maybe it is something else.
smellsfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:17 AM   #13 
Sakura8

Are you sure they're not part of her coloration? What color are they? Stupid transshipper, that's so rotten! How'd he qualify as a transshipper anyway? *pouts*

Some ammonia scars can last their whole lives depending on the severity of the burns. And it sounds like she had a rough trip, that may have had a permanent effect on her ability to breathe. :( Poor girl, she's been through a tough time.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:42 AM   #14 
smellsfishie

Well, the bruising is definitely not an outside color... It's an internal color. It's on her belly, and it looks like a pinkish purple. Like the color of a bruise.

And yes, he was a HORRIBLE transhipper, and RUDE! Kevin in NY is his name. Never, ever, use him. I will only use Jennifer Viveiros from now one... learned that lesson the hard way.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:50 AM   #15 
Sakura8

You don't suppose she had some internal damage from the shipping and she's been suffering from it all along, do you? *gulp* :(
Old 07-26-2011, 01:11 AM   #16 
smellsfishie

ugh... I would feel so bad... I hope that is not the case, but she has always been a little bit stressy/funny to me... like, she gets stressed pretty easy. She's not really friendly like my other girls. Oh my gosh... I hate netting fish so I rarely ever do it. So i was trying to "cup" her into one of those betta tubs they use at the pet stores when they are selling them. K... every fish but her was swimming into the dang tub... Every time she swam up, I would try to put it under her and she darted away... I finally caught her with food and by moving very slowly.... only problem was, there was 5 other females in the tub with her! I had to carefully let them all out, one by one, until it was finally just her... LOL... ughghghgh
Old 07-26-2011, 01:25 AM   #17 
smellsfishie

can add stringy white poo to her list of ailments.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:52 AM   #18 
Sakura8

Parasites would be my guess. Unless you think she recently ate her own eggs or someone else's. If she egged up and then released her eggs, she would most likely eat them and that can cause the stringy white poo as well. But considering her behavior, I'm going to go with parasites. Sounds like your fun is about to begin. Time for the General Cure for everyone. :/

Haha, your netting experience sounds like the time I tried to get one of my girls out with a little plastic cup, the kind you drink punch out of at parties. Three of them ended up in that tiny thing, all tangled up and I couldn't figure out which one was the girl I wanted. Got them all out and found out the girl i wanted had been hiding at the back of the tank all along. Grr, three of my girls are virtually identical from the top view, that's why I had this problem.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:58 AM   #19 
smellsfishie

Yeah, whats up with these AB fishes and parasites?! My 3 guys I got last time (Pencil, Cherub, and no name) came all down n out... pink fins... (well, 2 of 3 of them were down)... I treated with General Cure and they are now GREAT! So i can only assume it was parasites!? Eggie has been "fine" for months but I guess that doesn't mean much if it's a parasite. I can't say I have ever watched her poo, but she has the stringy white stuff goin on right now... I don't think any released eggs, but have no clue honestly.

Haha, yeah, I know exactly what you mean! Only for me, the dag fishies are so friendly they are like "doot dee doo... oooOOoooh... plastiiiccc..." and they swim in it and around it and want to bite it... and then, Eggie, just is too smart and swims away. The ONE fish I actually WANT to catch... blarg. But it's all good. I got her eventually. I much prefer slowly catching fish in a cup (without much stress) than chasing them around the tank with a net (and lots of stress)...
Old 07-26-2011, 02:16 AM   #20 
Sakura8

Yeah. I'm thinking about taping a long piece of plastic to a cup so I can reach into the depths of the tank better. And then baiting it with food so they swim right in. And isn't it always the one fish you want to catch who knows better than to swim right into the cup.

I wonder if the AB fish from Thailand get parasites from the way they are bred and raised, basically in big tubs outside on their own until they are like 3 months old. I'm glad the General Cure helped your other guys, it means it will prevent any infection in the other girls for sure.