Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2011, 11:06 AM   #21 
smellsfishie

That sounds like a good idea, as long as the tape is non-toxic :) And as long as when it gets wet, it doesn't just fall off. :P I have sometimes used a net to encourage fish toward my cup, but I try never to do it too fast just to keep stress level low... I am just personally overly sensitive about how animals feel, I think... particularly with breathing, cause I don't swim... Had a traumatic event when I was 3, and so I've always been afraid of water/drowning. It's better now that I am an old lady, but... still, the fear is there. So, to me, netting a fish and removing them from their environment where they breathe, and moving them into air, is like me being netted and shoved under water... SO SCARY!!! So I like to keep them immersed at all times... and it works! Just takes a little more patience.

Anyway, sorry for rambling... I'm tired. My brain is still waking up.

I wondered the same about the thai bettas... I bet it's very easy for them to get parasites considering they are outside like that. I mean, I don't know if all Thai breeders method of breeding/rearing fry is the same but... I would assume they are outside.

Update for the morning: Eggie is still floating in her cup (hoorah!) Alive :D... I didn't think she would die, but it's nice to see she is still alive. Her breathing looks slightly better... she has always been a hard breather, so I can't tell if she is "better" or still having trouble. But, anyway, she hates the cup like I said, and in her little head is imaging every way she can possibly escape. I feel bad cause the cup is stressing her out, but, I think removing her from the tank altogether would be more stressful. Her buddy, Goose, (they are in the top ranks of the sorority) was by her cupside this morning as if to encourage her and let her know she was not all alone. :}
smellsfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:09 AM   #22 
smellsfishie

Oh, but other thing I noticed last night that I hooooooooope is not.. what... it could be... is that Beamer has a white thing on her side. Um... like a small, very short, white thing.... not a perfect dot like ich, but maybe a visible external parasite??? D: erg............
Old 07-26-2011, 11:27 AM   #23 
Sakura8

Gulp. I hope Beamer doesn't have the beginning of anchor worms. Or fish lice. Or skin flukes. Yeeeeeeeeek, say it ain't so!

I think it's great you are so considerate of your fish and their comfort level. I really wish everyone would do what you do: imagine themselve in the same situation and then imagine if they'd like the treatment they get. I wouldn't like being chased with a net and dumped into water if I was not meant to be in water, so like you said it makes sense that fish wouldn't like being chased by a net and raised up into air that they aren't meant to be in. You're a good fish momma.

I'm so glad Eggie made it through the night. It's cute Goose stayed with her this morning, like spending some time in a friend's hospital room. I hope Eggie continues to get better, hopefully the Betta Revive will do its stuff.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:30 AM   #24 
smellsfishie

oh my gosh, i hope beamer does not have any of that either!!!!

I think people (non fish people) think I am a bit crazy to think of my fish that way, or other animals. But I have my reasons why I am the way I am! And thank you! You are a good fish mom too! :D
Old 07-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #25 
Sakura8

I try to be. I loves mah bettas like they're family. And let the non-fish people think we are crazy. Personally, I think the non-fish people are the crazy ones.

Have you started the General Cure for the whole tank? If Beamer *gulp* has any kind of external parasite, the General Cure should help get rid of them. Poor Beamer. Have you seen anyone rubbing or flashing?
Old 07-26-2011, 01:48 PM   #26 
smellsfishie

No one is rubbing on rocks or anything. I was going to wait on the General Cure until Eggie is back in the tank (maybe 2-3 more days) so they all get treated at once. Beamer seems normal just that white thing is a bit concerning...

Here's a vid if you want to have a look
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdbSk7Wr4rk
Old 07-26-2011, 01:58 PM   #27 
Sakura8

It definitely looks like some kind of external parasite to me. I want to say the beginning of anchor worms or something similar. It looks like the worms in another thread, where the betta had them coming out of his nose. In that case, the tank was treated with Jungle Labs Parasite fizz tabs and the worms were going away but I think General Cure would be better. While you wait for Eggie to get back in the tank, watch to see if that thing gets any bigger or longer. I'm hoping I'm very wrong and it's just a cyst or a bump or something harmless. And not contagious to the other fish.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:29 PM   #28 
smellsfishie

I was kinda hoping whatever it was would be gone by today but it's still there. I am definitely keeping an eye on them. Hopefully it is just some weird floaty thing... sometimes weird things get stuck to bettas :P oy.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:28 PM   #29 
Sakura8

Yeah, maybe one of those harmless worms that always supposed to be in our tanks but we usually can't see them. Like a nematode or planaria or something like that and it just got stuck to Beamer for a while. :/ Poor Beamer and Eggie.