Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2011, 02:50 AM   #1 
Vanah

Question Does anyone else have the Fluval SPEC 2-gallon?

Hi all! I'm new to the forums but I have had many betta in the past. I currently have three HMPK males. Two live in Marina Cubus 1-gallon "tanks", which do ok and they seem happy, but I'd like to upgrade someday. I'm quite addicted to nano tanks, as bubblers usually annoy me because they are noisy. My third, Mitch, lives in a Fluval SPEC. I love the tank, and to me it seemed like the ideal betta home, but when I first got it for Pei Ling, he was miserable in it because of the current. Mitch seems to be enjoying it overall, but the filtration current still pushes him around something crazy.

I'm wondering if this is a bad thing. It doesn't seem to make him unhappy, but I know betta are supposedly adapted to live in still pools. I don't want to put too much stress on him by him having to fight the current, etc. I did read a review of it somewhere that one woman kept her betta in it and did not run the filtration system all the time, only sometimes. Is this a good idea? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Vanah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:35 AM   #2 
Sivan

Hello and welcome to the forums!

It not necessary to have a filter in a tank per se, but it is recommended. The larger the tank the better and the more one could help you. With tanks the size of a gallon or under you have to do 100% water changes everyday anyway, so the filter probably won't be helpful. Its recommended that you have at least 2.5 gallons+ for each betta.

If you think your filter is too strong, there is a way to baffle it and make it to your liking. I have not had a filter personally, so you would have to ask one of the other members here about baffling.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:06 PM   #3 
Vanah

Thanks Sivan! I haven't heard the term before so that at least gives me something to search.

I know bigger is better but I am limited in places where I can put aquariums right now, and none of them allow for more than 20lbs or so. I had a 2.5 set up with a few neons, and I tried putting it on one of my spots in my room and it really didn't seem like it was gonna hold up very well, made me really nervous. It had to go to the livingroom which resulted in a bickering match with my mom. *sighs* Once our basement gets re-finished I'll be able to set my craft room back up and put a couple bigger tanks down there.
Vanah is offline   Reply With Quote