Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2011, 08:34 PM   #1 
ThorAndGhost

HELP! Thor jumped onto the floor!!

Help!!

Here's the run down. Not sure I got everything from the sticky, but it's all the info I can remember for the time being.

Thor's a standard red male betta, no fancy tail or anything.

He's in a 1 gal bowl, he's got a nice soft silicone grassy thing he likes to hide in and play with. He's always very active and happy to see me. Does his little "skippy" dance for food on a regular basis.

I feed him Hirkari (did I spell that right?) pellets, 3 a day (unless I have other snacks for him), and I fast him once a week. He also gets frozen bloodworms, live baby brine shrimp, frozen adult brine shrimp, some other types of pellets, and even some special betta flakes to help with colour and conditioning (or so the package says).

Thor will eat ANYTHING. He's not picky. He's very active, playful, and happy. He even had a great bubble nest going.

I don't know the Ph levels but I do partial water changes about once a week (say Thursdays), and 100% water changes at least once a week (Mondays, but sometimes more often if needed).

The temperature in my apartment is very, VERY tropical, so I don't have a heater in there.

Well tonight during his usual water change, he decided to JUMP like, 2 FEET! He landed (thank you Murphy's law) on the DIRTIEST spot on the floor, and kept struggling against me as I tried to gently scoop him up in my hands and return him to some nice safe water. I got him back in the water after about 30 seconds to a minute, but he's TOTALLY traumatized.

Right now he's face down at about a 45 degree angle, find clamped like I've never seen, sucking on a silicone blade of grass like a kid with a pacifier, panting out of control and refusing to move. He's been this way for almost an hour.

I added stresscoat to his new water, Maracyn and Maracyn II, and a dot of melafix. The floor was pretty dirty (I had just cleaned out the garbage can and there was some icky stuff on this tiny little corner of the floor that I didn't see ... leave it to Thor to find it for me!), and when I scooped him back up, there was all kinds of dust and hair and crap along with him. I am SERIOUSLY worried. I removed all the debris from the water, but poor Thor is seriously spooked.

Any advice? I don't want my poor little guy to get sick or worse!

Ugh, just when I got Ghost to eat, Thor goes and does this!!! And I thought Lucky (my newest boy) was giving me a hard time with his tailbiting!! I wonder if Thor did this for attention???!!!

Thanks all, and peace.
ThorAndGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:38 PM   #2 
Indyfishy

First of all, get him into some water without all those medications! Unless he's actually sick, he doesn't need to be medicated, and melafix is actually harmful to bettas! Put him in clean water with just the stresscoat, and any tannins if you have them (indian almond leaves, oak leaves, decaf green tea with no added flavors) and put him in a dark quiet place to recover. He should be ok, a fall like that would stress anybody out!
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:42 PM   #3 
ThorAndGhost

I probably should have mentioned that I didn't use the full dose of Maracyn and Maracyn II (which can be combined according to the manufacturer), and the melafix is also in a much lower dosage. My goal here is low dosage for prevention, so should I still change his water of should I just leave the poor guy suck his little blade of grass in peace at this point?

If it weren't so tragic, it'd actually be kind of cute to see.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:47 PM   #4 
Indyfishy

I would take the meds out, they're probably stressing him out more, and they aren't preventative meds. they're meant to be taken when the fish is already infected. And if you're using a low dosage, they're most likely not going to do anything for him anyway. Melafix burns the betta's labrynth organ, and it may make him struggle to breath. He would do best in clean water with just stresscoat and tannins. Also, lower the water level so he can reach the surface easily. Good luck with him!
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:48 PM   #5 
GunsABlazin

New water, he isnt sick so the medication could do him more harm then good.
GunsABlazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:49 PM   #6 
youlovegnats

To add onto what Indyfish said- In a 1 gal. bowl you need to be doing at least two 50% changes and one 100% change once a week.
:)
He might be a little stressed from the ammonia build-up.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:46 PM   #7 
ThorAndGhost

Well, I went to change his water, and noticed some fuzzy stuff in his gills which wasn't there before. He probably picked it up from that spot on the floor, but I inspected him for a good half hour after after getting him off the floor and he didn't have the fuzzy stuff in his gills then. He seemed kind of freaked out the by second water change, and when I went to check on him a few seconds ago, it seems he died.

My husband thinks either he got too much stuff in his gills otherwise he hurt himself dropping to the floor and thrashing around the way he did. It was about a 6 foot drop, after all. Or some combination thereof. Trying to pick him up was quite difficult too and he jumped out of my hands twice before I finally caught him.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm really upset right now, so if you want to respond, just do me the decency of taking my feelings into consideration.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:25 PM   #8 
youlovegnats

Aww I'm so sorry to hear! :(
You did what you could and I'm sure he knew it. :)
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:35 PM   #9 
GunsABlazin

im sorry about Thor. These things happen, and its sad when they do. :(
GunsABlazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:52 PM   #10 
Toxi86

I am so sorry to hear about this tragedy. It was an accident and from what I've read you did the best you could with love and good intentions the only design.

*hugs*
Toxi86 is offline   Reply With Quote