Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2011, 12:15 AM   #1 
Bcaruso

Large, white growth by dorsal fin

My betta Roger has had a growth on his back for a few months now. Originally I thought it to be ich but treatment with rid ich did nothing and he lacked the sandy coating. Assuming it was a fungal infection I have been treating with Pimafix but the growth has gotten bigger. I am not sure if his condition is treatable or if it is a sign of his age. I have had him for 4 years and he has been healthy up until now. He's also, still pretty energetic and swims all over the tank.

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 2384
Size:  33.9 KB

Name:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 1659
Size:  39.7 KB

Sorry about the poor photo quality, I took the photos with my phone.

Also, I have been conditioning the water with stress coat and doing weekly water changes. It's only a 1 gallon tank, which is the largest tank I can fit in my meager apartment right now.
Bcaruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:40 AM   #2 
Bcaruso

Here is a slightly better quality photo.

Name:  IMAG0463.jpg
Views: 1509
Size:  35.1 KB

It's important to note that the lump is not cottony (It looked cottony originally), but is just lumpy.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:02 AM   #3 
Sakura8

Ay yi yi yi, that's a big lump all right. Looks like lymphocystis to me. Does it look similar to this?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:38 AM   #4 
Bcaruso

I think it might be heading in that direction, but right now the lump looks more white than fleshy colored. If that makes any sense.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:00 AM   #5 
Sakura8

They do start out white. Lymphocystis is commonly called "cauliflower disease." Some of the lumps turn pink because there are blood vessels involved or if the lump got accidentally bumped or something like that. If it is lymphocystis, there's nothing you can do but let it run its course because it is a viral infection. There's a very good survival rate of this disease when the fish is kept in clean water and fed a good diet. So, that's my advice: keep the water as clean as possible and feed a high-protein diet. If you want a good second opinion, I'd definitely suggest PMing Oldfishlady, she seems to know a lot about lymphocystis and she may be able to tell you for certain if it is lymphocystis or a tumor. I hope Roger gets better soon, poor guy.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote