Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallon, but currently in 1 gallon hospital tank
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tetra Betta floating mini Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 4 Pellets 1x a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? - Either 1x per week 95% or usually 2x per week 85%
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 95% or 85%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
- API Tap water condition, API Aquarium Salt, Betta Fix

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He developed a huge tumor on his tail - started about 2 weeks ago as very tiny bump and keeps growing. It has caused an awful case of fin rot, which I was first treating with Betta Fix and now am treating with Maracyn I & II. Have ordered Jungle Fungus eliminator. One of his eyes has also turned blue. It never used to be, and it looks slightly more swollen than the other so I was afraid it was popeye.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not much until tonight (Day 3 of Maracyns) -- it almost seems like he is blind. He swims up to the surface when he feels motion and starts almost chomping up at the surface. He is darting up and down in his tank, but not eating any of the food i put in there. It's like he doesn't even see that it is there, but is looking for food.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? When they first started developing a few weeks ago. But the tail tumor has gotten awful.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Maracyn I & II, stopped the Betta Fix

Does your fish have any history of being ill? He had fin rot and swim bladder before. Both were treated and he got better. But then he was having issues with fin rot off and on.

How old is your fish (approximately)? He was a full-size male when i got him 1 year ago.

The only thing that changed in his environment was that I moved into the city where the tap water is not so great. But I have been living here for 2 months now. I let the tap water sit out overnight, use a filtration system on it and API tap water purifier.

The tail tumor looks awful and I feel so bad for him. It's also like engulfed it's own case of fin rot - just eating away at the center of his tail. This whole thing happened so quickly :( Have you ever seen anything like it before?
Attached Images

Ayarcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:13 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Hi, Ayarcee and welcome to the forum. I'm not sure I can tell exactly what's going on from the pics provided. If you can provide a clearer picture of his tail and his eye, that would help tremendously.

Okay, it's good you started treatment with Maracyns, they will treat both the fin rot and the popeye. Have you noticed any improvement since you started using the Maracyns? And for future reference, you probably don't want to use Betta Fix. Even though they market it for bettas, it actually has an ingredient, Tea Tree Oil, that can damage a betta's labyrinth organ which they use to breathe air from the surface. If you can, I'd also switch to API Stress Coat as a water conditioner because it has ingredients that help fish with healing and with their slime coat. It also detoxifies heavy metals, which I'm not 100% sure just plain tap water conditioner does.

I'm a little puzzled that he would go blind. Actually, really puzzled. I can only assume it is from the popeye. If he is truly blind, then there is not much you can do but blind fish can live happy lives. You may need to adjust how you feed him by using sound cues, such as tapping the glass near where his food is or splashing or something like that.

Keep up with the water changes. While he is in the hospital tank, you will want to change close to 100% of his water daily to keep it as clean as possible. The idea is to prevent any further infection, especially on his tail where the tumor/rot is. It sounds like he perhaps got a cyst/tumor that burst and the open wound became infected, but I'm not 100% that is exactly what happened. Hopefully the Maracyns will clear it up. Are you still putting AQ salt in?

I hope this helps a little, sorry, I'm a bit stumped about the blindness thing.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:03 AM   #3 
Ayarcee

Hello,
Thanks for the response. He has seemed to get worse (more lethargic, only sits at the bottom) since starting on the Maracyns, and it isn't doing anything for his tail tumor. However, I am only on Day 2.

I thought I wasn't supposed to do water changes when on the Maracyns so that the medicine stays in there?

Anyway, he is now laying motionless at the bottom on his tank, but not on his side or anything. Earlier he was at the surface of the tank the same way.

He darts up to the surface for air, then immediately darts back down again. I'm just worried about him and it doesn't look great.
I think the popeye might've just been me being paranoid when I saw his one eye turn blue. Will try to get a good picture, but it is hard to catch him at a good angle right now.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:51 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Aww, I'm sorry to hear he's worse, that's no good at all. :( Is he bloating or anything or just lethargic? And bettas do change eye color every now and then, so maybe the eye is fine. I hope so.

When you dosed him with the Maracyn, did you put an entire packet into his tank or did you dose him in proportion to the 1 gallon he's in? :/ Maracyn shouldn't make him worse.

If you mixed up the medicine in a different container, like a jug, you can save that water for future water changes. That way, when you do a water change, you use medicated water to refill.

I hope the medicine kicks in and he perks up, poor guy.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #5 
Ayarcee

Hello,
I dosed him with the proper amount of medicine: divided the packet up by 10.
He has seemed to get worse and more lethargic since I started the maracyn. His eye has actually gotten slightly larger too - I cannot seem to get a good picture of it though.

Am starting to do daily water changes. But is there a possibility that Maracyns 1 & 2 could make it worse?

Any other ideas as to medicines I could get? I heard Jungle will help for the fin rot, but what popeye/lethargy?

The good news is, he is still eating...but takes him a while to come to the surface. He mostly just sits at the bottom on the tank.
poor guy,
thanks in advance for your help
Old 07-27-2011, 08:48 PM   #6 
DarkMoon17

Welcome to the forum Ayarcee, I wish the circumstances were better...

Since his eye is swelling and you are using a medication, you don't need to use Aquarium Salt. Use Epsom Salt instead to reduce swelling while the medication deals with the other issues. I recently read that any swelling in one or both eyes not caused by an injury means that he has a kidney infection. MaracynII treats kidney infections so don't stop using it...

Treat with 2tsp/gal Epsom Salt and 100% daily water changes.

I don't know what to tell you about the tumor... Just keep him comfortable for now and try to treat the fin rot and pop eye.

Good luck and keep us posted.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:48 PM   #7 
Sakura8

Maybe the combination of both Maracyns is too much for him. If you think that might be the case, try just Maracyn II. Also, you may want to PM DarkMoon17 for help. She is very good with fish medications and she may be able to tell you why is getting worse on Maracyn and not better.

Which Jungle product are you referring to for his fin rot? The Fungus Eliminator? It won't help with popeye.

I'm worried about your little guy and his reaction to the Maracyns. Until you can get a reply from DarkMoon, I would suggest cutting back to just Maracyn II. You may also want to look around for a product called Jungle Labs Anti-Parasite Medicated Pellets. Although it says they are for parasite treatment, the medication in those pellets is very effective for bacterial infections. These pellets may help combat the bacterial infection with his tail.

Oh, and I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply you wouldn't dose him properly, it's just that because those dumb packets are dosed for 10g, sometimes getting the right amount of medicine for a smaller tank is a REAL headache. I was just worried for a second that somehow he got an overdose of medication because of that dosing difficulty. Sorry, I should have phrased it in a less accusatory way. >_<

Edit: I posted a second too late but yay, DarkMoon is here! Now you can disregard everything I said.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:53 PM   #8 
MaggieLynn

I have to laugh sakura, you and darkmoon posted at the same time. I find it funny because you were just instructing ayarcee to pm darkmoon. and im sorry to hear about your boy =/ I have never seen anything like this before. I hope all is well
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:58 PM   #9 
Sakura8

When I'm in a pickle, I always turn to DarkMoon. She knows her fish illnesses and her medicines inside and out. She's my Dr. DarkMoon. Hopefully now that she's on the case, this little betta can get on the road to recovery.

And something just occurred to me: DarkMoon, you ARE a girl, right? Eeep.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:37 PM   #10 
DarkMoon17

haha yep I am! I love how Dr. is unisex lol Thanks for all the praise Sakura you're makin' me blush! And I can't believe we posted at the same time, I've never seen that before O.o

Medicine isn't magical so you won't see instant improvement. He may get worse before he gets better. What you have to keep in mind is that if the tumor is internal as well as external then he most likely has some internal organ issues... He may be unable to heal properly because of the tumor and/or the tumor may be causing his other issues.

I doubt the Maracyn combo is making him worse. If the swelling in his eye is getting worse then his kidneys are getting worse so he probably isn't feeling great. Start him on Epsom 2tsp/gal to reduce swelling so he'll feel more comfortable. You might not need Maracyn but you should still finish the full course of treatment (not finishing the full course can result in medicine resistant bugs). Definitely do not stop the MaracynII.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote