Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2011, 10:45 PM   #11 
Ayarcee

Hello all,
Thanks so much for your helpful responses.
Darkmoon: Question about the epsom salts. Is he ok to be in them for 24 hours until I do my next water change?

Sakura: No offense taken at all ! thank you for your help. I was finally able to get a picture of his popeye, though it is kind of far away. But you can still see one eye is larger than the other.

I am worried about his fin rot and potential pop-eye, but the most perplexing thing to me of all is the tumor on his tail (you can kind of see it in the picture - the huge shiny blue lump at the end of his belly. Although he isn't keeping his tail clamped, but I'm wondering if maybe that's why he is hanging out at the bottom of his bowl so much. Because it's too heavy to swim with. Then darting directly up for air and back down again.

Thanks for all your help. I don't want to prolong his life if it is not the humane/comfortable thing to do. But if it is something that can be fixed...well i'm gonna try.
Attached Images

Ayarcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:03 PM   #12 
DarkMoon17

Well that is most definitely pop eye caused by internal pressure (kidney infection). Lets see if you can make him feel well enough to act more normally. If not, you should consider humane euthanasia...

You can add Epsom now, just dissolve it in dechlorinated water before you add it. Do 3tsp/gal. Continue with Maracyn and Maracyn II. He'll feel better (and live a bit longer) if you can get his kidneys under control. You might not be able to, but it's worth a try.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:14 PM   #13 
Ayarcee

Hi Darkmoon,
Would you recommend maracyn the best thing for a kidney infection?? His eye really just popped out like that today - before it was only looking slightly larger. I thought I was being paranoid. Could this lead to the dreaded Dropsy? He is not swelling or anything yet. Another question - do you think I should change out the stones & plant in the bottom of his bowl? Would that have anything to do with helping infection to spread? I always clean them thoroughly with hot water and then treat them with a dechlorinator, before they go in the dechlorinated water.

Really hope the epsom works. Thanks again for all your help.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:52 PM   #14 
DarkMoon17

From what I've read, pop eye without abdominal swelling is due to a gram-postive bacterial infection of the kidneys. The suggested med for treating it is Erythromycin, which is the active ingredient in Maracyn. If it develops into abdominal dropsy, then it is caused by a gram-negative bacteria. The most effective commercially available meds are Minocycline and Metronidazole. Maracyn II contains Minocycline and Jungle's Anti-parasite pellets contain Metronidazole. SO, if you keep him on both Maracyn and MaracynII they will help fight both types of bacteria. It isn't 100% both it's your best bet for now. If he is eating then you can try Jungle's Anti-Parasite pellets but he really needs more nutritious foods like frozen blood worms and etc... tumors steal nutrients so he'll need extra.

I think 100% daily water changes should keep his tank clean enough. Just make sure you thoroughly clean the gravel and plants and it should be fine. But it sounds like you are doing a good job of cleaning his home!
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:02 AM   #15 
Ayarcee

Thanks, this is all super helpful. I live in a big city where the pet stores aren't always stocked so well, so I ordered the Jungle Pellets. They should get here the day that I finish the maracyns, so hopefully there will still be that overlap.

I will let you know how he does with the epsom salt. i just have the regular drugstore kind...this is ok right?
Old 07-28-2011, 12:02 AM   #16 
Sakura8

Ayarcee: Glad I didn't offend, it's hard sometimes when you're typing and people can't hear your voice and how you're saying something. And your poor guy, his eye looks so . . . popped out. I will definitely keep my fingers crossed and your fishy in my thoughts for a full recovery.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:24 AM   #17 
Ayarcee

Yes, i know! It got really swollen overnight - was only a little bit puffy these past few days.

Just want to make sure before I use the epsom salts that it is ok to use the plain kind I got from CVS?

Also I read somewhere on this forum the Maracyn II causes light sensitvity? I have a super-bright apartment...should I try to keep him in a darker area?
Thanks!
-A

Last edited by Ayarcee; 07-28-2011 at 12:40 AM.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:40 AM   #18 
Sakura8

Yes, the plain epsom salts without any scents or anything is perfect. And also, yes, keeping him in a darker area would help, not only for the light sensitivity of Maracyn but also just to keep him calm and as relaxed as possible.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:05 PM   #19 
Ayarcee

HELP! he's gotten even worse with the epsom salts - his eye keeps getting bigger. i really think it has grown. is it possible that they or the Maracyn could make him worse? should i up the amount i put in?

i just feel so bad for him. it's not looking good, but i at least want him to be comfortable. it seems like he is having difficulty swimming all the way to the top of his 1 gallon. should i put slightly less?

tomorrow is my last day of the Maracyn. I & II. Is it ever suggested to continue as a second dose, or is that too much for his little body?

This is so hard to watch :( But he is still eating, which is at least a good sign. Poor guy.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:27 PM   #20 
Silverfang

IF he's having trouble swimming go ahead and lower the water level. Sorry I can't give you any other advice, I've never dealt with this.
Good luck, hope he starts to feel better.
Silverfang is online now   Reply With Quote