Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2011, 09:44 PM   #21 
DarkMoon17

Maracyn will not make the infection worse but it might not be succeeding in fighting his infection. His eyes are getting more swollen because his kidneys aren't in great shape. Do any of the stores around you carry Kanaplax? I don't know if it's worth trying in his case but I've heard good things about it...

Lower the water level so he can reach the surface more easily. Continue the Epsom Salt to reduce swelling. Continue daily 100% water changes.

After tomorrow I would switch to Kanaplax if you can find it but otherwise I don't think Maracyn is going to do the job. I'm pretty sure the tumor is the cause of his pop eye and other issues... Keep us posted.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:20 PM   #22 
Ayarcee

Ok thanks, am trying the Kanaplax on Saturday after his medicine runs out tomorrow.

So there is or isn't a chance this could turn into dropsy?
Although he's not doing great now, that would be the worst.
Ayarcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:50 PM   #23 
DarkMoon17

Well, dropsy is a symptom, not a disease. Dropsy occurs when the kidneys fail to process fluids properly resulting in a build up of fluid in the fish. The fluid build up pushes the scales out so they look like a pinecone. If the infection (or tumor) damage his kidneys to the point that they cannot process fluids properly then he will get bloated and "develop" dropsy. So yes, it is possible that the fluid build up will worsen and he will pinecone but at this point the pressure is only affecting his eyes, which is good. If it is an infection and completely separate from the tumor then you might be able to stabilize him and lengthen his life a bit. However, there is the possibility that the tumor is the reason he can't process fluids properly. If that is the case then no amount of medication will help him. We don't have chemo for fish... If he is still up for another round of meds on Sunday then go ahead and try the kanaplax, it's worth a shot as long as it doesn't make him miserable. Good luck with him and keep us posted.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:48 AM   #24 
Sakura8

Ayarcee, I'm so sorry to hear the Maracyn isn't working. :( I am wondering if his tumor is cancerous and causing his body to have trouble properly functioning, including his kidneys. If he has an advanced cancer, his body would begin to shut down. It's not unusual for fish to get cancer. I really hope this isn't the case and he just needs a more aggressive medicine. I'll be thinking of him and hoping/praying he gets better. *hugs*
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:37 AM   #25 
Ayarcee

Thank you all for your continued help.
This whole thing is so upsetting to watch. He literally won't stay at the surface and darts like lightning speed up there and back down again. Obviously it is hard for him to stay up there.
Poor baby. Will start the kanaplex tomorrow once the medicine comes and I end my maracyn treatments.

will keep you all updated.
thanks!
-a
Old 08-02-2011, 08:39 PM   #26 
Ayarcee

So, I thought I got Kanaplex...but I ordered Metronidazole instead. I don't think that can help for his popeye. Ugh.
So mad at myself. But I have another shipment coming by Thursday - he really needs something though poor guy. He was doing a bit better over the weekend and swimming around a good bit. Should I continue using the Maracyn for another day to keep him on something? (I gave him 6 days of it) I am doing daily water changes too.

How long do you think I should use the epsom salts for? Am I able to use in conjunction with the Kanaplex?
Also forgot to note that his popeye hasn't gotten any better, maybe slightly worse.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Ayarcee; 08-02-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #27 
DarkMoon17

I'm glad you've seen some improvement at least. Is it oral metronidazole? If so, you can feed him that while treating him with MaracynII. Kanaplax is better but metro is is still pretty effective. Chose one or the other though. If you chose to use Metro then use it and MaracynII. If you chose to wait for Kanaplax then continue using MaracynII until it arrives then stop. Epsom is safe to use with all medications. Continue using it regardless of medication. Good luck and keep us posted.