Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2011, 01:31 PM   #1 
ClassicCharm

Perpetual bloat

Housing
What size is your tank? .5 g QT tank while her 10g cycles
What temperature is your tank? Room Temperature - approx 72 -76 degrees (I know, it's a touch cold)
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta Buffet pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets every other day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every other day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Dechlorinator

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? Not since I change every other day

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Bloated abdomen
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Nope, still as active as usual
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About 2 weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? See below
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 4 months

About two weeks ago I realized that her abdomen was slightly bloated and she was having buoyancy problems- she's able to swim but floats right up to the surface when she stops trying. I concluded that since she had just eaten, she might be constipated and that was affecting her swim bladder. So I started to fast her. After four days of fasting, I fed her one boiled de-shelled pea. She passed some white stringy poo, which led me to think there might be some internal parasites involved. I treated her to a course of Jungle Parasite cure, and she began to have normal looking poo, and was able to swim naturally again for a couple days. Since then, she has had the same buoyancy issue and has started tipping to the side. I've tried feeding her regularly, I've tried fasting her. She isn't pooing very often, and I have still occasionally seen white stringiness in her poo.

Right now, she is floating at the top of her water on her side and her abdomen is slightly bloated. She has not eaten in two days. There is no pineconing.

The only thing left I can think of is to add Epsom salts to her water to try to bring down the bloating. Any other recommendations? The 10g is about ready to go, but I don't want to put her into a sorority if she is unwell and could have something contagious to my other girls.

Thanks all

Last edited by ClassicCharm; 07-25-2011 at 01:38 PM.
ClassicCharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:01 PM   #2 
Sakura8

If she's eating, you will want to try Jungle Labs Anti-Parasite Medicated Pellets. The best way to attack internal parasites is internally. You may have to soak the pellets in garlic to get her to eat them (I hear they don't taste so good) but they would be her best option for parasite medications. Also, you may want to do water changes every day while she is in a .5 tank. The epsom salt does is 1 tsp per gallon, let it dissolve before pouring it in. Hope this helps.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:07 PM   #3 
ClassicCharm

I looked for the Jungle medicated food initially, but my LPS didn't have any. I'll have to take a drive and see if I can get them elsewhere. I'll boost the changes up to everyday and add the salt.

Thanks, Sakura!
Old 07-25-2011, 03:55 PM   #4 
kumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicCharm View Post
I looked for the Jungle medicated food initially, but my LPS didn't have any. I'll have to take a drive and see if I can get them elsewhere. I'll boost the changes up to everyday and add the salt.

Thanks, Sakura!
"Let your fingers do the walking!" Or driving, in this case. (That's an old TV commercial for using the yellow pages and making phone calls instead of just going into stories incase nobody knows the expression any more....) The reason I'm suggesting doing that is that I had quite a bit of trouble finding it. I eventually got it at a Petsmart, but they hadn't had it the first time I looked--it had been out of stock. I finally sat down and called ALL of the local stores and eventually discovered that one of the local Petsmarts had it back in stock. As annoying as the phone calls were, driving around to all of those places would have taken hours. Hope you can locate some!

Kumi
kumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:06 PM   #5 
ClassicCharm

Haha thanks, Kumi. There are a limited number of stores within a reasonable drive that carry fish things at all, and I'm headed in the direction of the most promising store tonight anyways. If they don't have it, I'll definitely be on the phone heh. My poor Dolly :(
Old 07-25-2011, 04:39 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Good that you have her in a small QT already...I agree, Epsom salt 2tsp/gal and tannins along with 100% daily water changes for 10-14 days...
I would try to maintain a water temp in the 76F range and cover the top with plastic vegie wrap for the labyrinth organ

I would premix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add the Epsom salt 2tsp/gal and tannin-either IAL or dried oak leaf and use this water for the 100% daily water changes

The white poo-could also be eggs that she either ate or absorbed if the white poo is only seen on occasion.....if she is also having regular colored/color of her food poop...then it may be eggs related and normal.

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals and if you can get some live food like mosquito larva that will help too...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:13 PM   #7 
ClassicCharm

The pet store will be getting Jungle Anti-Parasite pellets in tomorrow, so I can start her on a course of treatment.

For a while her poo looked like it was normal covered in a layer of the wispy white poo, and now it's gone back to being just wispy white.

There's no where around I can get my hands on live mosquito larva, but I should be able to get it fresh, refrigerated. What other foods do you suggest, as well as mosquito larva?

Thanks OFL!
Old 07-25-2011, 11:25 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Frozen daphnia or brine shrimp if you can find that. Both have a high fiber content that will be good to keep her system moving. Get better soon, little Dolly!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote