Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2011, 08:35 AM   #1 
LadyLaurels

Unhappy White scales?

Hi all, I hope you can help me figure this out... I've had Mars, my male crowntail, for about a month. When I first got him, I was SURE his face was totally black, but when I was cleaning his tank a couple weeks ago I noticed that he had white on his chin and belly. It looks like it's spreading, but it doesn't look like raised/missing scales or bumps. I may just be overreacting, but I want to be sure before I just say it's nothing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4325409...in/photostream (Hopefully that works)

I have him in a 2 gallon tank with a filter.
I clean it every week, all the water and I rinse the gravel out.
He has 2 plants that I've been trimming, and one rock thing.
I haven't tested the water.
The water is at room temp, which has been 78+ all the time, since it's summer.
His behavior has stayed the same, he swims a lot and every once in a while tries to go INTO the filter. He makes bubble nests every week too, I always feel bad when I change the water.

I hope this is just me being paranoid. Thanks for any input.
LadyLaurels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #2 
MorganC2010

I can't really see what you are talking about in the pic. Is there anyway you can get a better pic or point to the area you are concerned about? Also does the white look fuzzy or like cotten to you?
MorganC2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:54 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum.....

If he doesn't have any behavior or appetite changes.....the color change may be normal pigment and nothing to worry about...I couldn't really tell much by the pic-except that he is a lovely fella.....

I would however make a change in the water changes....depending on the species of plants and since you have a filter...I would make 50% weekly with light vacuum so not to disrupt the plant roots...let them do their job...lol....

What kind of plants do you have....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:55 PM   #4 
LadyLaurels

Sorry about the picture quality, he's pretty energetic and runs from the camera. I'll try to get a better picture when I'm home later.

Morgan:It doesn't look fuzzy really, just like the scales lost their pigment. It's on his chin that it's happeninng. I'll try to get a better pic and circle the area once I'm home. I appreciate you looking :)

Thanks fishlady. He was the prettiest of the bunch, and very lively! I'm rather attached to him so I hope it's nothing serious. Thanks for the advice about upkeep. This is my first fish, so I'm still learning. :) starting next week ill change half water instead of all. Ill have to look into the vacuuming stuff. Like I said, I'm a total newbie with this lol

Thanks guys, I'll post a better pic later today
Old 07-26-2011, 01:08 PM   #5 
MorganC2010

Ok. Like OFL said if he is acting completely normal it is probably just his color changing. I know when I got Tiberius he was completely purple, now he is red. But I'd still like to see more pictures.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #6 
LadyLaurels

Oh wow, I didn't know a fish's scales could just change colors like that! If that's the case, I would be totally fine with it. If it's not a sign of infection or anything it would actually look pretty. They're kind of iridescent instead of plain black. :P

I finally got the guy to sit still for the two seconds it took for me to snap a photo, and the spots definitely aren't fuzzy or raised.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lauriel...in/photostream

OFL, I have no idea what kind of plants I have. I just bought "Betta Bulbs" from Petco and they grew into 2 totally different plants. I took a picture, maybe you can help me identify them? They grew crazy fast when I first planted them, and one sprouted a weird flower after only a couple days.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lauriel...in/photostream

Thanks again for all your help :)
Old 07-26-2011, 04:05 PM   #7 
MorganC2010

Yeah it just looks like he is changing colors. So yay! lol.

And yup they change colors. I'm pretty sure Tiberius did it on purpose. He is pretty rebelious, he knew that I loved the purple so now he is like "Ha! I'm not purple, now i'm red, deal with it." Mars is really pretty btw!
Old 07-26-2011, 04:05 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Looks like normal pigment to me, they can also change color especially around the head and face with age...

The Tall plants look like crypts.....and with that species of plant...I would do twice weekly 50% water changes not once weekly...since they are not big feeder....1-50% water only and 1-50% to include light vacuum of the substrate...you don't want to disturb the roots...I would also pull the crypt up a tiny bit so the base of the bulb is slightly above the substrate....

Your tank and Betta look great....nice job.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:15 PM   #9 
LadyLaurels

That's great, thanks so much for your input! Tiberius is really pretty too! I love the bright red fishies. :)

Thanks OFL. I'll start doing that. Hopefully the plants stay as happy as Mars. Thank you! Your betta is a beauty too. :D

Thanks you two, it's good to know I'm taking care of him well. ^_^