Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2011, 09:03 AM   #1 
fishcurl

Doing first water change - temperature??

I'm going to do Flambé's first water change today (50%) and I'm terrified I'm going to muck it up somehow.

I know how to use the water conditioner, but what I'm not clear on is the temperature. Everywhere I've read about water changes says to make sure the temperature is the same in order to avoid shocking the fishy.

But (dumb question coming through), how do you make sure the temperature is the same? Adjust the faucet temperature before putting water in the bucket? Something else?
fishcurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:11 AM   #2 
Littlebittyfish

I use water jugs while doing water changes and I fill them up by adjusting the faucet temperature. I use an extra thermometer to make sure the faucet water is close to or the same temp as the tank.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:13 AM   #3 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishcurl View Post
I'm going to do Flambé's first water change today (50%) and I'm terrified I'm going to muck it up somehow.

I know how to use the water conditioner, but what I'm not clear on is the temperature. Everywhere I've read about water changes says to make sure the temperature is the same in order to avoid shocking the fishy.

But (dumb question coming through), how do you make sure the temperature is the same? Adjust the faucet temperature before putting water in the bucket? Something else?
do you have any thermometer on hand? i have 2 in water thermomenters i can use and a multimeter that has a temperature function. you could use the in eater thermometer. i use the multimeter function out of convenience for quick results. its 2-3 degrees off but it does the trick.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:39 AM   #4 
fishcurl

Thank you!!!

I thought that was the case, but I've messed up water changes before in the past due to lack of knowledge.

Yes, I do have a digital thermometer that I keep in the kitchen. Great tip!

I'll let you know how I make out when I do it later today. Thank you!!!
Old 07-27-2011, 07:46 PM   #5 
fishcurl

Done! I think it was more stressful for me than Flambé, hehe.

The faucet water was about 1 degree off. I couldn't get it right on the money but it was still close. He's swimming around the tank now like water changes are no big deal. In fact, he was supervising the process. Chased a few bubbles in the siphon, followed the tube, and so on.

He's a cheeky lil' dude :D
Old 07-27-2011, 07:49 PM   #6 
Littlebittyfish

I am always worried about accidentally sucking up my fish or something...my one guy always bites at my fingers and chases the siphon..haha
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:58 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I really don't think 1 degree will hurt and it's getting mixed with your tank water.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:29 PM   #8 
SmokeNLark

1 degree won't hurt at all. And once you get into the routine of water changes, you won't have to use a thermometer. I just use my finger. Fill up the pitcher with the water that I think is right. Dip your finger in the tank, then in the pitcher, if it feels the same or really close, it's good. The best and easiest thermometer is you. :)
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:29 PM   #9 
fishcurl

Whoops! I didn't see there were more replies

Thanks for the answers everyone!

I'm too terrified to use my own finger to test the water temp right now. It took me a year and a half before I felt confident in gauging the temperature of my daughter's bath water without Mr. Bath Duck Thermometer's help, lol.

It's good to know 1 degree isn't a big deal. I also took the added step of using a reverse siphon to add the new water back in the tank. I figured that it was a more gentle way of doing it (no fish freak out) and that any temperature fluctuations would be gradual and not all at once.

So far I've got two changes under my belt. I'm less scared, too. Hopefully it'll get quicker and easier the more I do it :)
Old 08-01-2011, 10:10 AM   #10 
SmokeNLark

I was nervous for a while about using my finger too, it gets easier. I promise. :)
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote