Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2011, 08:20 PM   #1 
Indyfishy

Exclamation What the heck is going on here???

I posted a thread about my betta, Finley, a few days ago. Here's the link to it:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=75352
Now Finley isn't eating. But its not that he doesn't want to eat, he physically CANNOT eat. He tries to put things in his mouth and then he can't seem to chew them/get them down so he opens his mouth REALLY WIDE and expels whatever it is he's tried to chew. I don't understand this, I've never heard of it before. He's so hungry, and he keeps trying to eat. He even tried to chew on a pellet, and he hates pellets. I noticed him having trouble with a blood worm a few days ago, but now its everything he tries to put in his mouth. What is this???? please help me.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? mid seventies
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no (summer, house 80 degrees pretty consistently)
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One betta buffet flakes and bloodworms.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day (was at night time, switched to mornings a couple days ago due to bloating issues)

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? twice weekly, one 50% and one 100%
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?see above
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?Top fin betta water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
N/A
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His fins are looking raggedy
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's very lethargic, and he can't eat. He's also hiding alot, which is not normal for him. He's a big show off.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? I noticed him starting to become less active about a week ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I tried to feed him a few pellets soaked in garlic but he can't get anything down =/
Does your fish have any history of being ill? None.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him for a year, and I think he's about 1 1/2 years old.
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:15 PM   #2 
Indyfishy

I should also add that he's looking quite pale. He's not clamped, but he isn't flaring at all, and he usually flares at everything in sight.
If I need to medicate him I have stress coat, Maracyn II, and epsom salts on hand. If he absolutely needs another medication, I could probably get out tomorrow to pick it up.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:09 PM   #3 
inkrealm

@Indyfishy,
reviewing your details right now, but from the first bit, it sounds like he just can't chew them well? try pre-soaking them. squish it with your fingers ( make sure they're clean with hot water, no soap, before doing so ) and when it no longer resists, or feels spongy, no hardness, try slipping it in. for bloodworms just wait till it sinks to the bottom.

to soak food-
I like to use the cap of the food container. just remove paper if there is any, rinse it off well with hot water, no soap, dry off well, check for residue, then fill it up with TANK water. sit it down and just drop in the food ^-^ maybe push it down a little and hold it under to get it started.
again make sure your hands are clean ofcourse.
it makes it tons softer :D
you might try breaking up the pieces as well, into smaller ones I mean.
if this still doesn't help, maybe someone else will know D: please keep us posted on the poor little guy ;^;

added stuff:
he may be getting pale because of the no eating thing, I've heard they can go at least a week if they must though....
any other symptoms?
he also may be getting old.... I've heard large ranges of how old they can get... not to mention the ones in the store are commonly already adults... if the soaking doesn't help, and the breaking doesn't help, and breaking then soaking doesn't help >^< then maybe try posting in the forums for tiny soft food suggestions?.... does he open his mouth a lot? maybe there's something lodged in his throat? how was the last waste you saw?... I'm sure there must be something we can do for this little guy... and you're taking excellent care of him, just so you don't blame yourself.... ^-^;

Last edited by inkrealm; 07-21-2011 at 10:16 PM.
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:12 PM   #4 
Indyfishy

The pellets were pre-soaked, they had been sitting in garlic juice for several minutes before I tried to feed them to him. And the flakes are very soft, and he's eaten them all his life, there's no reason for him to have any difficulties with them all of a sudden. But thank you for the suggestion! I'm really worried about the little guy =/

Last edited by Indyfishy; 07-21-2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:20 PM   #5 
Indyfishy

I tried feeding him the garlic soaked pellets, flakes, and a very small bloodworm. All with the same result. He opens his mouth, wider than yawn, and expels them very quickly. It almost looks like its painful for him when he's trying to eat. He's also doing something similar when he comes to the surface for air, he's acting like it hurts when he inhales through his mouth =/ I know he's not old, he was a tiny little thing when i bought him a year ago, and even now he's not quite as big as my other full grown betta. I just changed his water yesterday, all the poo I saw was normal looking.
Full List of symptoms:
Pain/difficulty eating/inhaling
Not eating (wants to, but can't)
Pale
Lethargy
Hiding alot

Last edited by Indyfishy; 07-21-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:24 PM   #6 
inkrealm

Indyfishy-
how odd.... :(
the flakes too? I agree those should be an easy bite... maybe the something lodged in throat theory then? perhaps something's blocked between his mouth, throat, and stomach.... no constipation signs or anything? you may ask OldFishLady if she's ever seen it before.... I'm sure she must encounter everything, she's kept so many fish over such a long time....
he could just be getting old... I commend you on doing your best to find out though, I hope he'll be okay, I know that's tough...... D:

edit:
it really sounds like there's something in his throat...
post in the forums with a title relating to dislodging assistance when a fish has something stuck in their throat, "fish has something stuck in his throat?" if you'll forgive the redundancy ^-^; and maybe comment OldfishLady, she must have had a fish get something stuck in its throat at some point right? .x.
see if you can get a view of his gills too, outside and in. see if anything seems odd out, and try to get a look in, I've heard it should be red, because of the blood and all.
try to get a view of him from the top too, see if one or both of his gills are sticking out, ( not closed all the way, like they're jammed for lack of a better word )
it's worth a shot.....

are there live plants in the 2.5? I saw you do a 100 and 50 change, how often of each?
ammonia poisoning can harm the lungs too, but unless there are plants I'm sure this shouldn't be it. when I put my boy in a 2.5 I try to do a 50 every day or every other, but they aren't huge on giving off ammonia so you should be okay to wait one more if you really need.

Last edited by inkrealm; 07-21-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:42 PM   #7 
Indyfishy

I don't have any live plants. The tank is filtered, and I do one 50% and one 100% every week (3 to 4 days apart from eachother) as advised by Oldfishlady. I pm'd her, and I really hope she can help me with this one =/ I'm really upset, I just lost my other betta to a tumor just three days ago. I don't want to lose Finley too.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:54 PM   #8 
inkrealm

Yeah, that sounds right... :/
Geeze... :/ at least you're in good hands..... I can't even begin though, I'm so sorry...... best of wishes for him.... :/ <3
Old 07-21-2011, 10:54 PM   #9 
Indyfishy

Another big thing I've noticed is that he hasn't been tailbiting, and he's a chronic tail biter. This whole thing is so strange!! Thank you for all your help. If he does have something stuck in his throat, I have no idea how I'm going to help him get it out X_X. Its been a sad week betta-wise, but I did just bring a new one home today and he's been a little blessing already =)

Last edited by Indyfishy; 07-21-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:14 PM   #10 
inkrealm

Indyfishy- awww, well there's an up :) always wonderful to have some happiness in the midst of sadness <3
and I'm sure he's very happy too, :D