Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2011, 03:19 AM   #1 
mookeeful

So...about water changes...

I am newer to the betta in a way (my mom had them when I was a kid, but of course I wasn't very involved in upkeep, hehe) and had a question about water changes. My hubby & I each got a male betta. Each of our boys are in their own 10 gallon tank. Each have a waterfall filter (with the pump rate adjusted to its minimum) and an air pump with airstone for extra oxygen. We dechlorinated the water appropriately at setup, we regularly test the pH levels (which we maintain around 7.0), and we have a 5-in-1 dial thingy that stays in the tank to test the ammonia, nitrites, etc. and at all times the levels show safe. We don't have heaters for them at the moment (I know they need the warmth) but we do have thermometers and the temperature is consistently staying around 76-78 degrees. Next pay day we will be picking some of those up to install as I know we are merely maintaining those temps now because it is summertime & we don't have an AC. I read in the betta care - day 1 that it is recommended to change water every 4 days or so in a 10 gallon tank, but that didn't specify if that also pertained to tanks with filters. Anyhow, my question is this: with tanks setup as ours are, what should our water changing schedule be? Do we still stay on the desired schedule of all of the test results show a healthy environment?

Sorry to be long-winded... I just wanted to be certain to include the info.
mookeeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:24 AM   #2 
Abby

in a filtered ten gal, about 2 gal change a week is ok
if you get some plants they will help with the ammonia levels

those 5 in 1' is it like a wheel thing? im told that they are not very reliable, apparently its only good for 1/2 the tests for like 3 months and the other half 6 months or something?
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:49 AM   #3 
fishman12

Ya those ammonia things don't work... I do a 50% change once a week, I have 1 betta and 4 cories... and live plants
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:20 AM   #4 
Tisia

you don't need airstones. bettas get most of their oxygen from the air kind of like we do and the extra water movement may just annoy them
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:56 PM   #5 
mookeeful

Wow, thanks for all the info!!! We will be sure to do that!!! The ammonia tester is one of those wheel things... dang it, we should have researched! It seemed like such a good idea...we will have to pick up some tests then. Regarding the airstones, We have to have lids on our tanks so our furry little friend doesn't decide to get into the tanks. My hubby did drill holes all along the tops so that air could get in. My little betta Mojo Jojo actually loves the bubbles - he chases them everywhere! Sometimes I turn it off for a sec and he just swims in circles around the ornament we have it hidden in (we have them hidden inside ornaments with holes so the air just comes out in little bubbles). When I turn it back on he goes mad chasing all of them! But my hubby's betta Swifty is not a big fan of the movement... his bubbles we have had adjusted to the minimum. We had read that air was super duper important for those lil guys, and we just weren't sure if they were getting enough of it with the style of lids that we have. If we removed the airstones, would they still be getting enough air with our setup? And finally @fishman: what type of cories do you have? We were waiting a bit to add some tank mates and these guys are new to their homes... we didn't want to have the tank cycle go out of whack by adding too much at once. We were thinking of getting some albino cories for ours...do you think those would be sufficient?
Old 07-24-2011, 08:34 PM   #6 
Silverfang

Some bettas do enjoy the entertainment of bubbles.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:42 AM   #7 
fishman12

Yeah I have albino cories... 3-4 in a 10g tank. They are schoolers so they need a group.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:10 PM   #8 
mookeeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman12 View Post
Yeah I have albino cories... 3-4 in a 10g tank. They are schoolers so they need a group.
OOOO good to know! I have only been seeing them 1 at a time in tanks here... I wouldn't have even guessed! Thanks again!
Old 07-27-2011, 10:27 AM   #9 
fishman12

No problem!