Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2011, 09:52 PM   #1 
Norichan

Cool Messin' with PetSmart... >:D

Went in to get supplies for my 5gal today. Walked past the bettas...

You PEOPLE have INFECTED ME! I was immediately overcome by the urge to buy them ALL and take them home with me!

^^!!

Sadly, I didn't. I couldn't. I didn't even buy one, just lavished a slightly ridiculous amount of money on the betta I have. But the impulse was there.

So what did I do instead? I took all the bettas that were shabby and in the back and pulled them to the front, on display, so people had to pay attention to them!!

Did it help? Maybe, probably not. But I think the statement was clear. A betta-lover has been here and you have been, as they say, 'told.' And I had myself a little laugh over it.
Norichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:56 PM   #2 
Sakura8

At the very least, maybe someone will notice and wonder why all the bettas look so bad and question how Petsmart is taking care of them. And maybe it will get the attention of a fellow betta lover who will look at them and say, "I can rescue a few of these." Good job, Norichan!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:00 PM   #3 
JKfish

:D That's awesome~ That's what I do every time I visit mine, just so they get noticed. Then I find the ones that are in pretty bad condition (luckily it's typically just SBD and finrot), and hand them off to an employee after telling them what needs to be done. It's a great way to show the store you care about how bettas are treated and that you expect more of them.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:01 PM   #4 
Jessabell

I do this all the time! lol.
Jessabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:13 PM   #5 
Pitluvs

We have a wall of 0.5 betta tanks, you can't arrange them :( They usually put the sick boring ones up higher and the pretty healthy ones down lower. I look some silly standing on their counter in the fish dept, looking at the sick ones. Once the girl said "We have real nice ones down here" to which I replied "Ya I noticed, but they don't need me right now" That's the night I took Hughie home.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:22 PM   #6 
Jirothebetta

Awesome! Hopefully someone will take the hint...

When I go to my local wal-mart I usually end up looking all through the bettas and the fact is that there aren't really any "betta off betta's" they all look ragedy and beat up and It never fails, each time I go over there some jerk has put two of the males in the same container and I end up having to separate them...sigh...I don't know why I even go into the wal-mart pet department, it just means I'm gonna see some fish I want to help but can't
Jirothebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:21 PM   #7 
sunrise2397

ahaha i LOVE it! hmm i think maybe i should start doing that
sunrise2397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:38 AM   #8 
OwnerofSaix

I always do that. Poor things! They're always shoved to the back and forgotten.
OwnerofSaix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:48 AM   #9 
Loralyn94

After reading this, I realize that i do this without thinking! Glad i'm not the only "freak" out there doing it.
Luckily though, I usually dont have to move too many around, the stores near me seem to be doing a fairly good job at keeping them taken care of (though seeing them sitting in those tiny cups breaks my hearts).
Loralyn94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:40 AM   #10 
Norichan

The Bettas weren't actually in terrible shape at PetSmart. Yeah, some had been shoved into the back and looked depressed, but all the ones I handled were responsive, aggressive, and the damaged ones looked to be recovering. I examined a magnificent ice-blue CT male (ALMOST brought him home with me. The BF would have flipped, only because I have nowhere to keep him. It wouldn't be responsible). He'd had some obvious fin rot, but I couldn't see any signs of current infection. And I understand that store changes their water daily.

No, what really traumatized me were the comet goldfish- there were two dead ones in their tank. Which is normal, I guess, since goldfish are so delicate. But one of the bodies was actually still floating in the middle of the tank, because the others kept attacking and biting it. It was disturbing. I used to think I wanted goldfish, but not if they eat their dead.
Norichan is offline   Reply With Quote