Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2011, 12:51 AM   #1 
MaggieLynn

Question Dragon??????? =/

Ok so on here there have been talk of petsmart having dragons, and more and more about dragons, and I have been wondering what classifies a betta as a dragon, I have read that they have overly metallic coloring or the scales look solid like you can see the actual scales as if on a reptile or something, I also feel really dumb asking this because I did make a trip to petsmart >.> I also am curious if the dragon classification is just for hmpk's because I read that it can be any tail type yet all i have really seen to be dragons are hmpk's
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:57 AM   #2 
Jirothebetta

Dragons can be any tail type as long as they have the thicker, highly metalic scales...The thicker scales make them look like dragons or even like they are wearing heavy betta armor so they get a lot of attention...my dad has been wanting to get a dragon scale for a long time but we haven't seen one, just yet, that has really stolen our hearts ...
Jirothebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:00 AM   #3 
MaggieLynn

do they have to be the heavier scale and metallic? cause I have seen some at petsmart that are white and not metallic. Thanks for the help though. I have been wondering ever since I got my dragon Norbert.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:05 AM   #4 
Jirothebetta

I think so, I mean, they are called dragon's because of the heavier metalic scales...now with the white one's it might be harder to see the metalic color(they will look normal white color) but they should deffinently look a little heavier scaled than a normal betta...if not I would think that they had been miss labeled...but I could be wrong...
Jirothebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:20 AM   #5 
copperarabian

Dragons are supposed to have heavier scales with some iridescence

Here's some examples since I have a few dragons

This is my dragon with super thick scales

Glorfindel has more normal dragon scales

they also come in different colors, my blue dragon has thinner scales for a dragon

And Altair has dragon scales, but they are smaller

And here's some smaller pics
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:25 AM   #6 
MaggieLynn

Your blue guy's coloring and scales looks like Norbert. After comparing Norbert to Fred and Hercules my two crown tail males I can definitely see a difference, I can see all of Norbert's individual scales.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:30 AM   #7 
copperarabian

Being able to see the scales doesn't mean it's a dragon though, I can see all of the sales on my fish easily(Except some on the marble who has some cello scales), with a dragon you want to look for the thickness of the scale, as well as a iridescence.

In this photo you can see my dragons iridescence better, the one above was taken in sunlight so it was super shiny lol
Old 07-23-2011, 01:46 AM   #8 
MaggieLynn

Well norbert has the iridescence covered, ill see if i can get a good picture of him, the camera scares him =/
Old 07-23-2011, 01:51 AM   #9 
MaggieLynn

Pics were a no but after looking at him close I do see thick-ish scales like in those pics
Old 07-23-2011, 02:02 AM   #10 
copperarabian

cool that's awesome :D how long have you had him? If he's still new he'll be less shy as he gets more settled in so you can get photos.