Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Memorials
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2011, 04:08 PM   #1 
justemoi

Unhappy tragic loss... and it's all my fault :(

I bought 4 new heaters for my four small tanks. They have been keeping the water at a perfect 79 degrees. All my little guys were fine at breakfast... great water, great temp, bubble nests, active, happy. An hour later, Zevo was gone and his water temp was over 100 degrees. I am devastated. The heater went spastic. Needless to say, they are all out of the tanks now and being returned to amazon. Zevo was the happiest guy ever and I killed him! My heart is broken
justemoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:09 PM   #2 
justemoi

we miss you, Zevo
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2011, 04:15 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Wow...so sorry for the loss.....usually with high temps like that they will show stress signs....sudden death...it may be something else along with the heat that pushed him over the edge....

I have fish and fry in water over 100F outside-granted this was a slow change and the temp is cooler at different levels of the buckets and cools down at night...but for about 6 hours of the days the upper level of the water is 100+......

What is the water temp without heaters......and how do they act when the water is left at room temp.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:23 PM   #4 
QueenBetta383

Oh my, I am very sorry for you're loss.
I'm sure Zevo will live happily in Betta Heaven.
QueenBetta383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:43 PM   #5 
justemoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Wow...so sorry for the loss.....usually with high temps like that they will show stress signs....sudden death...it may be something else along with the heat that pushed him over the edge...

What is the water temp without heaters......and how do they act when the water is left at room temp.....
Their water temp without heaters looms around 72/73 degrees. They seemed perfectly happy without the heaters... active, bubble nests, eating, flaring, swimming, etc. I just added the heaters because I wanted what was best for them. When I checked on them at breakfast, all of the tanks were at 79 degrees. Within an hour, Zevo's was over 100 degrees and he was laying on the bottom. I hurried him out but he was already gone . The other 3 were still at 79. What else but the sudden and drastic temp change would have caused this? He was making bubble nests just this morning .
Old 07-26-2011, 05:27 PM   #6 
fightergirl2710

This is so sad, and so freaky.. It was a technical accident, you shouldn't blame yourself for it. I'm sorry you lost such an active and happy boy. :(
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:39 PM   #7 
justemoi

Thank you all for your thoughts. Not to lessen the impact of Zevo's sudden death... this morning while running my quick errands, I rescued a little guy from petco. Having him to care for makes me feel better in a small way.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:45 PM   #8 
fightergirl2710

At least with Zevo's passing, another betta found a home. :)
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:50 PM   #9 
Pitluvs

Its an honest mistake hun, every one of has or will do something to this effect eventually :( My pre set heaters has one that's a dud. The first heater I bought actually! I put the heater in and went to bed an hour later. 5 hours pass and I woke up and checked on my tank... it was at 92F. This would be kinda ok for if it was a Betta but I had colder tropical fish. They were darting around and panicing. I had to toss ice cubes in, get the heater out ASAP. I am very lucky they survived. Like you, I was trying to do the best thing after I was scolded for not having heaters :( I nearly killed them.... sorry, the heater nearly killed them. THE COMPANY nearly killed them. I, like you, was trying to do my best. I took that heater back for a new one.

What I do now is put the heater in a bare tank/clean mop bucket for 24h, and keep checking the temperature. If it stays constant for 24h, it's safe to use.

I'm sorry about your boy :(

Do the test on your other 3 heaters, but by all means get 4 new ones if it makes you feel better. I know it took me a long time to trust heaters again.

Last edited by Pitluvs; 07-26-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:23 PM   #10 
justemoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
What I do now is put the heater in a bare tank/clean mop bucket for 24h, and keep checking the temperature. If it stays constant for 24h, it's safe to use.
I did this as well. I heated the tanks for about 12 hours with no fish in them and then monitored them the entire day after I put the fish back in... I thought I had it just right as they never fluctuated from 79 degrees :( I guess the 1 heater was just no good or had a short or something... still took the rest out just in case. My larger plant tank has a Fluval 50w that heats very gently and slowly. I wonder if they make a mini heater.