Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2011, 05:13 PM   #1 
Nexangelus

Indian Almond Leaves...

I'm aware these are usually used for breeding, but I have more of a general use question. Can anyone testify any positive impact on water parameters? I've seen quite the list of alleged benefits and was wondering if anyone had experience using them in regular non-breeding tanks.

I was hoping they'd soften water. There's no way to really measure the "disease fighting" power of them, but I'm curious to see what the general consensus is on how they affect betta health in general.

Either way, I ordered some. I think they're about 10 dollars for 50 or so... Wasn't a bad deal at all. I was just wondering what to expect. I'll definitely do extensive water testing and post on my findings. :)
Nexangelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:22 PM   #2 
fightergirl2710

I've never tested water parameters as such but I dump a leaf in every tank because I get it for free lol! I know for sure that it makes my boys bubblenest more than before and fins heal faster, even without AQ salt... So far all positive! Oh, and the bettas love to sleep under them too :D
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:25 PM   #3 
Nexangelus

I wish I got them for free! Is that because you live in India? And thank you so, so much for the positive experience... I'm expecting a few nipped fins from the stress of shipping and can't use aquarium salt because of the plants... Sounds like a good alternative to me!

More bubble nests is never a bad thing either! Definitely will be appreciated when breeding time comes! :)
Old 07-26-2011, 05:36 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

With both IAL and Oak leaf...
When the leaf decomps it produces CO2 and that in turn can lower the pH and along with the tannins being acid base lower the pH....it not a lot...but they can lower it some...in heavy tanned water-when making water changes the replacement water needs to be tanned too...especially with large volume changes.

Decomp helps to create microorganisms

Helps to hold bubblenest from a surfactant type substance produced

They contain antibacterial/fungal properties

The darker water helps with stress and this in turn can help support the immune response

Depending on what you like...some don't like the amber colored water..personally I do.....

Boiling the leaf will kill all the good stuff...but you will still get stained water that is good for stress...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:40 PM   #5 
Nexangelus

Ah! Thank you for that explanation, OFL! I already have a C02 injector... But I suppose more couldn't hurt! I actually really like the look of the darker water, especially with the Flora bulb. Sounds perfect for breeding, too!
Old 07-26-2011, 05:43 PM   #6 
fightergirl2710

Yeah, it grows pretty much everywhere lol! I should add though, I don't know how it will do with fin rot, you may need aq salt for that but with torn fins, it works fine. :) You may get a few crumbs from the leaf as it gets old in the water but that isn't really an issue.
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:47 PM   #7 
Nexangelus

So lucky! I wish I lived where I could pick my own leaves for my tank... I'm not terribly worried about fin rot, more just torn fins and small rips. Thanks for getting back to me so quick. I'm excited to try these out. :)
Old 07-26-2011, 05:57 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

You don't have Oak trees in your area??....thats what I use...Oak leaves from my trees in my yard....99% the same as IAL......
Old 07-26-2011, 09:06 PM   #9 
Nexangelus

Is that right? Well now I feel a little silly for ordering leaves from Thailand... I had just figured that you meant "Indian Oak Leaves" when you posted that... I've heard all sorts of names. I'm sure we do have those in our area... Aren't they a pretty common tree? Is there anything special I have to do to them? Can't say I've ever dried a leaf before. I think that's what the site I ordered from said they did to the IALL...

Off to google to figure out what an Oak tree looks like!
Old 07-27-2011, 09:33 AM   #10 
Oldfishlady

You want to gather/collect....naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf.....shake off the dirt/debris and use just like you do IAL........be sure that the collecting site is free of pollution, pesticide, poison...etc......keep in a dry airtight container just like IAL

I use 10-12 crushed per gallon of water.....