Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2011, 05:36 PM   #1 
Pitluvs

Anyone familiar with SBD?

I got Hughie a few days ago, severe SBD. He fasted for 24h, ate live food for 24h and finally poo'ed. He's in a 0.8g treated with epsom salts. Well once he poo'ed, he could finally swim everywhere in the tank. Only problem is, once he eats, he's floating again and can't swim down. Then he poos and he's back to swimming. It's been like this for a few days now.

Whats going on? lol
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:43 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Has he always done this or is this new...what is his tail type or body shape...can you complete the sticky and post that so we can get more information...tank size, water change, feeding...etc.....more detailed information the better.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:48 PM   #3 
Pataflafla

My sister has a veil tail that does that. Feed him more frequently, but lesson the amount of food. If you're feeding pellets, presoak them in some tank water so it'll be easier for him to eat them, but will also limit how much he can eat at a time since pellets swell even after being eaten.

Keep up with the epsom salt, keep the water warmer (Around 82*-84*), and feed him 3-4 times a day 1/2 -1 pellet each time.

If you're feeding him live foods, just try to feed frequently, but with the overall same amount.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:14 PM   #4 
Pitluvs

I cannot heat the tank past 80F :)

I'm really starting to hate that sticky! LOL I filled it out the other day when I asked for help when I brought him home, no one answered but Sakura. He's a VT that I took home with severe (floating belly up) SBD last week. He has since corrected and was able to swim normally, until he eats.

Housing
What size is your tank? 0.8g filled half way
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no, it stays at 80 in room temp. He does have a heater in his perminant tank
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Can't remember the pellets name, it comes in a shaker package. Not the best but not the worst either. I also feed frozen brine shrimp.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice, once in the afternoon and one in the night. 2 soft pellets soaked in water in the mornings and sometimes he gets 6 shrimp at night

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Daily
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 90% (we keep betta in the tank but siphon out all debris)
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner (Betta Plus or Stress Coat)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? We don't test the small tanks, since it's changed daily. pH is 7.6.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He was belly up when I brought him home last Thursday, stayed upright friday and was swimming Sunday morning. He's back to floating after he eats.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Nope, he's still saucy and full of beans.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Since Sunday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? He's been in 0.8g half filled with 1tsp/1g epsom salts. I lowered the water so he could rest on the rocks.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Unknown
How old is your fish (approximately)? Unknown

Last edited by Pitluvs; 07-25-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

If it is a chronic problem he may need to stay in Epsom salt 1tsp/gal all the time.....but since it resolves on it own once he poops.....I would just watch him...but I would get a different brand of food....live is best....if you are going to soak the food use garlic juice-only small amounts.....by soaking food you leach the vit/min and nutritional value.....the fish enzymes/gastric acid break down the food in the gut

If you want to do a short term Epsom salt treatment 10-14 days....use more Epsom salt 2-3tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes and tannins if you have some..

I ask about body shape because-shorter body shapes can sometime have deformed or shorten gut and this is a chronic problem...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:24 PM   #6 
Pitluvs

I have brine shrimp eggs, could he live on those? If so, how do I keep them going for only one fish? Or could I feed the bettas live everyday?