Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2011, 03:30 PM   #1 
iLuviPod

Tail look shredded

So I recently came back from my highschool dorm and I had to bring my betta with me...I had to move him from a 7 gallon tank to a 1 gallon. He lived fine for 2 weeks in the 1 gallon. I even stared at him yesterday and there was no problem. This morning, his tail suddenly became shredded.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 Gallon
What temperature is your tank? Room Temperature, about 65-70 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Nothing

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Dried Baby Shrimps
How often do you feed your betta fish? About Once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 50% water change every other day and 100% water change once every week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? ^^^^
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Nothing

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? It's tail became shredded
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? If something changed, it would be how he seems a lot more active. (Is he running around because it hurts so bad?)
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Well I gave him a 100% water change today and added a bit of aquarium salt (The Dose recommended for stress, not medicinal)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not Really
How old is your fish (approximately)? I'm Not entirely sure...

Here is what he looks like now (It was hard to get a picture since he seems to love running around)
iLuviPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:36 PM   #2 
EverythingNice55

Well, sometimes your bettas fins can tear if you have plastic decorations like plants in the tank with your betta. I suggest if you have plastic decorations, just take them out. And if you don't have any plastic decorations, maybe your betta is stressed? Hope I helped.
EverythingNice55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:38 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum.....

What is your source water...I see that you don't use any additives like dechlorinator

How much salt are you using and are you sure he is not biting his tail since it happened so fast....

I would also add another type of food to the diet

Beautiful Betta by the way....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:38 PM   #4 
iLuviPod

well there is actually nothing but the fish in the tank..i thought that maybe he was stressed so I put in a shell from my other fish tank (with healthy fish)...he doesnt seem to care...
Old 07-26-2011, 03:42 PM   #5 
EverythingNice55

Oh, OK. Well, something must have gone wrong. I suggest you talk to a betta fish expert like a vet. This is serious. I'm sorry that I couldn't help that much.
EverythingNice55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:45 PM   #6 
iLuviPod

My water is aged water, I have a couple of buckets that I use to hold tap water, then I just let it sit there. I'm not sure if its biting its tail, but I cant seem to catch it in the act (which is making me very nervous). I guess I'll try the different food. And thatnk you for complimenting my Naz (It's the name I gave it) :D. I used about 1/2 a teaspoon of salt

Last edited by iLuviPod; 07-26-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:37 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

If you are in the USA and use city supplied tap water-aging the water will not help with chloramine and you will need a dechlorinator to rid the water of that....aging water will take care of chlorine but that it......

Your water temp is a bit on the cool side too, any way you can get that up to at least 76F.....

If you are going to do a salt treatment-its important to use therapeutic dosage of salt-that being 1tsp/gal...its also better to QT the fish in something small that can be floated in a heated tank to maintain water temp in the 76F range...and premix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water....this helps to make the needed 100% daily water changes and dosage easier too and you can add tannins to the premixed treatment water for added benefits, however, at this stage I would do a clean/dechlorinated water treatment with daily water changes...50-100% in the tank he is in.....you rarely will see them bit their tail-the chunks or bite marks is what make me think he is biting....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:43 PM   #8 
iLuviPod

okay thanks for the advice, I will do just that, but why is it that there are still those little streaks, When I see biting, it looks like some1 snipped the tail with a scisor (online pictures), this one looks really funny, as if some1 tore off different sections leaving a tiny strand...that can also be biting right?
Old 07-26-2011, 05:44 PM   #9 
Silverfang

I'd say you have a tail biter on your hands. Fortunately the treatment is still the same, lots of clean salted (AQ only please!) water. You mentioned there is nothing in his tank/bowl? IF this is the case he is probably a boredom biter. Add a little hidey hole cave (in a pinch a mug or shot glass can work). Some plants, either silk or live would also help. Something to keep his attention. A little time spent flaring every day has sometimes helped boredom biters.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:08 PM   #10 
iLuviPod

thank you all sooo much!!!