Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2011, 09:42 AM   #11 
Oldfishlady

Have you looked up Ich to make sure your Betta doesn't have that....white spot like lint and spasm......google pic of Ich and see if it fits....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:27 AM   #12 
BS96TB94

I think we misdiagnosed. His mouth is turning white and a little fuzzy. He's paler and fins are almost transparent looking. He is also somewhat lethargic.. Tank conditions are different, moved to my females tank because I thought it was the water quality from my NPT.

If he dies what do I use to disinfect and what about the frog?
Both tanks will have to be so the minnows and mystery snails and the plants, what do I do to disinfect them?
BS96TB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:11 AM   #13 
Sakura8

Columnaris, aka mouth rot?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:23 AM   #14 
Oldfishlady

If he is getting worse...I would QT in something small that can be floated in the heated tank to maintain 75-76F temp and start him on high dose of aquarium salt 3tsp/gal....Premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water add the salt 3tsp/gal and use this water for 100% daily water changes for 10 days....

Good luck....
Old 07-31-2011, 11:25 AM   #15 
DarkMoon17

That sounds like Columnaris but look up pics of Columnaris and Ich to make sure... Use Aquarium Salt (do not use iodized salt with fish...) and lower the temp to 76*F. Add 1tsp/gal 3 times, twelve hours apart so you have a concentration of 3tsp/gal. It will be easiest to QT him again since you will need to do daily 100% water changes. You will need to move quickly though. Columnaris moves quickly.

I don't know about the frog... You might want to QT the frog for at least two weeks before housing him with another betta. You can clean the supplies with hot water and a 10% bleach solution...

Good luck and keep us posted.

EDIT: OFL beat me to it!
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:22 PM   #16 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaloverforever16 View Post
Bettas can't have seizures can they?
Technically, anything with a neurological system can have seizures.

Relevance to thread:

Judging by the time in posts from this thread from your NPT thread, I can only think of two things:

- your water has terrible alkalinity and the sudden LARGE pH change shocked your fish

- The live food you gave them was carrying columnaris or another disease.

Have you started giving them this live food recently? Because unless you are purposely breeding live food, you shouldn't just randomly grab things from outside and plop them into your tank. They usually carry something harmful.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:27 PM   #17 
BS96TB94

It too late thanks for all the quick reply but he's gone. He passed while I was sleeping.

I guess all I can do now is clean. So QT all the live animals and clean with water and 10% bleach, what about the filters?

Thank god I my female still alive. Now she'll get more attention than ever. But she's in her tiny betta cup right now so if I can hurry she'll be happy again
Old 07-31-2011, 01:49 PM   #18 
Oldfishlady

If it was colomnaris..not much you can do since it is normally in the water to start...what I would do- is make several daily 50% water changes to reduce the numbers, keep the temp in the low range...and if I am remembering correctly...and I may not....I respond to a lot of people/post....lol.....anyway...the soil based tank...was it limited on the number of plants and you had trouble with cloudy water...is that correct...if so...you need to add lots of stem plants or you will continue to have problems....water quality issues can stress the livestock and this in turn-compromise the immune response that can set the livestock up to be affected by pathogens.....sorry for your loss......but don't give up...
Old 07-31-2011, 02:00 PM   #19 
BS96TB94

Thank You. Yes in the planted tank the soil was capped with aquarium gravel and the water became dark and had a brown tint. I originally bought three minnows. I guess on the first night they didn't like one of them because he was dead with a little tearing on his fins, now today I see only one left and he's jerking around because he has the bottom part of his back fin gone. I guess my snails ate the other because he is nowhere to be found.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:35 PM   #20 
BS96TB94

Frogs gone. Don't have to worry about QT