Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2011, 09:35 PM   #1 
TinaMaxis

Would a sorrority work if I had one female with four of her female offspring?

Hey, so right now I only have one female(and don't plan on getting a male) High pathetically speaking, if I found someone who has a male Betta and bred my girl with him, and sold the offspring or gave them away, something. If I kept four female Bettas from her fry and put them in her tank, is it more likely that they will all get along because they're related? Has anyone ever done this? Because I have a ten gallon tank and I do want a sorority one day, so I'm just curious. (Also, if anyone wants to try this, is there anyone out there who's got a Male Betta they'd like to breed with my girl in Southern California?)

Thanks! :)
TinaMaxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:47 AM   #2 
Super Fish

Hi there,

First of all, it is spelt 'hypothetically'.

Secondly, I don't think your plan is viable. I can't imagine any male owner wanting to "borrow" your fish for mating. Unless of course, you have a very expensive and rare fish. What type and colour is your female?

Breeding is expensive, time consuming and dangerous for the mother and father if not done correctly. How would you feel if your betta was killed because she was not introduced properly or taken out in time?

Sorority's consisting of sisters are morely likely to work. I think this has to do with the fact that they are constantly together from the start, rather then genetics. Mama fish is not likely to recognize the young bettas as her own.

I think you need to read more on breeding bettas and on sororities before you proceed.

Good luck!
Super Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:36 AM   #3 
TinaMaxis

Thanks for correcting me, such a silly mistake, I know that's how it's spelled, I don't know what I was thinking writing it that way. O_o

And I was just kinda throwing that idea out there, I don't intend to do all that. Thanks for answering my question! My fish is in my avatar, she's pretty ordinary, I guess, just a blue veiltail with very little red. I don't want to breed my Betta anytime soon, I'm still new to keeping a Betta, I don't have nearly enough information or experience to do something like breeding. And of course I'd be hurt if anything ever happened to her!

I do plan on having a sorority soon, though, and I think I have enough information about that to go on with it(though any tips would be wonderful!). Thanks again for your reply. :)
TinaMaxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:39 AM   #4 
youlovegnats

^ Superfish is correct. The fry's mom would just most likely eat them (if you were planning on adding them as fry :P )
But yeah, she wouldn't recognize them as her own. Sister fry are much more compatible because (as stated before) they grew up together.

I recommended just buying a couple more females instead. They're pretty cheap- and as also said before breeding is EXPENSIVE.... I've gone through $100's of dollars already :P But my 4 little ones are happy ~
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #5 
cajunamy
Banned

I think it might work -- months if not a year down the line, when the babies are as big as she is. Then it would be like a sorority with unrelated fish.

And another 'yes breeding is very expensive' lol! I've spent well over $500 for my first spawn. Granted, I have all that I need now, there are just things I'd like to upgrade :)
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:42 AM   #6 
Super Fish

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=29402

The above link is a good place to start when it comes to sororities. Read hte whole thread, as many people have asked questions that you might have.

I suggest you just purchase a few more females too.
Super Fish is offline   Reply With Quote