Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2011, 07:45 PM   #1 
person

can you keep to male bettas together?

i was wondering if a 10 gallon tank is big enugh for 2 male bettas and one female. i have a fish named cuddles. i named him that as a joke becausde he attacks everything. even a snail i tryed to put ion his bowl. lucky for the snail it has a shelll. i cant even keep another bowl next to his because he once jumped into the bowl sitting next to his and killed the other betta. he seems to flair his gills more then half the time even when nothing is near his bowl. ice had bettas for years but hes the most agressive one ive ever had. i want to try to put him in a community tank but i dont know if i should. dose anyone think he could get along in a bigger tank?
person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:55 PM   #2 
NCPanthersgurl

Erm. It's not really advised that you put three betta's together unless they're all female, and even then only if you plan to supervise to make sure they get along okay. Two males definitely not. If he's that aggressive, I'd keep him by himself to be honest. Depending on the other fish, maybe? But I wouldn't advise.

You say you've had betta's for years...but you put two betta jars beside each other and are now asking if you can put two males and a female together?

I think you should go into the betta care forum and do some reading...
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:01 PM   #3 
person

i just wanted to try it because i have had two males sucessfully live together in the past and my other two bettas get along so well. ill just keep him in a seperate tank. i guess i should just keep him seperate.
person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:06 PM   #4 
NCPanthersgurl

Advisable if he has a past of killing other fish. Betta's are aggressive towards others and territorial. Now, that doesn't mean they can't live together; some people experience success with it, and better success with spawn siblings. But it's not something you want to chance if you're not sure.
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:46 PM   #5 
MaggieLynn

The general rule is you dont put males together period. And i agree if he is going after a snail other fish would prob be a no. I have had bettas for years as well but i wasnt educated properly until a couple months ago. So to be blunt no dont put males together and keep cuddles by himself, you dont want to cause stress for any of your fish. If you did a divided tank you could do two males. also what do you mean by community tank? are you talking about with other bettas or are you referring to with schooling fish? either way i think cuddles should stay alone, i mean that way aggresive for a fish if he jumped out and attacked another fish.
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:46 PM   #6 
caitic10

No, its very risky keeping males together. Your two are probably a once in a lifetime thing. Even keeping a male with a female can be risky.

If you want to keep bettas together, I reccomend a sorority. All you need is a ten gallon tank, and you can put five girls in there, but nothing more or less. Less will raise aggresion levels and more will be overstocking.

Whenever you keep fish together, its a good idea to keep another empty tank ready and on hand. That way, if a fish is sick, stressed out or is being a bully, you can put it in there. Your male, however, sounds to aggressive to be housed in a community tank.
caitic10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:48 PM   #7 
MaggieLynn

yes sororities are fun! i highly recommend going that route instead :)
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:56 PM   #8 
caitic10

Yes, soroities are fun! :D

Just make sure you read and learn more about bettas first. Ask questions around the forums, read up on betta soroities and so on. I think there's a thread aBout starting up and keeping a betta soroity in the Betta Care category.
caitic10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:19 PM   #9 
TonyK

Only way to keep the 3 Bettas in q 10 gallon tank is divided 3 ways.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:12 PM   #10 
PewPewPew

^ Agreed.

I do not recommend this person do a sorority, considering they had to ask if males could be housed together.

A sorority is difficult and often fail.

I mean no disrespect, but would hope you dont jump into something youre not prepared for under bad advice.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote