Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #1 
audjree
Member
 
audjree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Southern California
Cycling a Tank Questions

so, when i brought my betta home, i followed the instructions in the thread
"your new betta - day one!" in this forum. but now, i'm reading all this information
about cycling a tank, and i'm not even sure if i've done that. i don't think i have.

first of all, WHAT IS CYCLING AND HOW DO YOU DO IT?
do betta fish need their tank cycled?
if i follow all the instructions in the thread "your new betta - day one!"
but don't cycle the tank, will my fish die after a few weeks?


i have a 2.5 gallon tank, i don't have a filter or live plants.

i've heard that if you don't cycle a tank, after a few weeks, the ammonia levels
rise and the ammonia can burn their skin, eyes, and gill tissue which can cause
blindness, skin damage, and possibly death.

what's the difference between doing weekly water changes and cycling a tank?

please help, i don't want my second betta to die so soon.

thanks in advance! <3
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:42 AM   #2 
thePWNISHER
New Member
 
thePWNISHER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Glendale, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by audjree View Post
so, when i brought my betta home, i followed the instructions in the thread
"your new betta - day one!" in this forum. but now, i'm reading all this information
about cycling a tank, and i'm not even sure if i've done that. i don't think i have.

first of all, WHAT IS CYCLING AND HOW DO YOU DO IT?
do betta fish need their tank cycled?
if i follow all the instructions in the thread "your new betta - day one!"
but don't cycle the tank, will my fish die after a few weeks?


i have a 2.5 gallon tank, i don't have a filter or live plants.

i've heard that if you don't cycle a tank, after a few weeks, the ammonia levels
rise and the ammonia can burn their skin, eyes, and gill tissue which can cause
blindness, skin damage, and possibly death.

what's the difference between doing weekly water changes and cycling a tank?

please help, i don't want my second betta to die so soon.

thanks in advance! <3

Keep it simple, No your fish won't die because you did not do a 6 week cycle, Ammonia will only build up to dangerous levels if you negelct to do water changes regularly. How much is regularly? Well your tank is 2.5 gallons so if you do a 100% water change weekly or bi-weekly then your ammonia levels reset at 0ppm with the newly conditioned water. I've never had a 2.5 gallon tank so I don't know what you schedule is but basically if you have an ammonia test kit and you see it at 2.5ppm or higher then you need to do a 100% change. Dangerous levels are when you get up around 5.0ppm. It will take more than a week with just one betta fish.

Your other question about what is cycling. Simple answer, it is establishing the Nitrogen Cycle in your small ecosystem if your tank is large enough to accomodate the "good" bacteria that eat ammonia, then the ones that utilize Nitrite and Nitrate as well. Basically different forms of Nitrogen chemicals in your tank from the fish living there. Cycling is more for tanks with filters that are 5gallons or larger.

I hope this calms your fears
thePWNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:19 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
You can establish the nitrogen cycle in small filtered tanks, however, due to limited surface area the nitrogen cycle is not stable and you don't have a filter anyway.....but no worries.....as long as you make the needed water changes all should be fine....

In 2.5gal unfiltered tank-without live active growing plants...twice weekly water changes...1-50% and 1-100%....first water change (50%) scheduled on or about day 3 of new setup

Be sure and try to keep the water temp within a couple of degrees between old and new water to prevent temp related problems
Always use dechlorinator with any water added to the tank
Dose the dechlorinator for the full volume of the tank even with partial water changes......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:20 PM   #4 
audjree
Member
 
audjree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePWNISHER View Post
Keep it simple, No your fish won't die because you did not do a 6 week cycle, Ammonia will only build up to dangerous levels if you negelct to do water changes regularly. How much is regularly? Well your tank is 2.5 gallons so if you do a 100% water change weekly or bi-weekly then your ammonia levels reset at 0ppm with the newly conditioned water. I've never had a 2.5 gallon tank so I don't know what you schedule is but basically if you have an ammonia test kit and you see it at 2.5ppm or higher then you need to do a 100% change. Dangerous levels are when you get up around 5.0ppm. It will take more than a week with just one betta fish.

Your other question about what is cycling. Simple answer, it is establishing the Nitrogen Cycle in your small ecosystem if your tank is large enough to accomodate the "good" bacteria that eat ammonia, then the ones that utilize Nitrite and Nitrate as well. Basically different forms of Nitrogen chemicals in your tank from the fish living there. Cycling is more for tanks with filters that are 5gallons or larger.

I hope this calms your fears
thank you for your help! so, you really think it's okay if i do 100% water changes only every two weeks?
most people recommend every week, and i will do it if it's really needed, but i might also do bi-weekly if it's okay.

thanks for your info on cycling. helped a ton. c:



Last edited by audjree; 07-28-2011 at 12:25 PM. Reason: fixing quotes
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:24 PM   #5 
audjree
Member
 
audjree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
You can establish the nitrogen cycle in small filtered tanks, however, due to limited surface area the nitrogen cycle is not stable and you don't have a filter anyway.....but no worries.....as long as you make the needed water changes all should be fine....

In 2.5gal unfiltered tank-without live active growing plants...twice weekly water changes...1-50% and 1-100%....first water change (50%) scheduled on or about day 3 of new setup

Be sure and try to keep the water temp within a couple of degrees between old and new water to prevent temp related problems
Always use dechlorinator with any water added to the tank
Dose the dechlorinator for the full volume of the tank even with partial water changes......


thanks for the help! c: i'll be sure to do regular water changes.
so, if you only change 50% of the water, you have to dose the dechlorinator for 2.5 gallons?
would you fill a 1.25 pitcher with water, and dose it with dechlorinator for 2.5 gallons?
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:21 PM   #6 
audjree
Member
 
audjree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Southern California
still waiting for the answer to my question about the dosage of dechlorinator. haha
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:20 PM   #7 
thePWNISHER
New Member
 
thePWNISHER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Glendale, AZ
you only need to treat it for the water you are adding so if you are doing a 50% change for 2.5gallon then dose it for the 1.25gallon of water since the other 50% in the tank is already treated.
thePWNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:49 PM   #8 
audjree
Member
 
audjree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Southern California
okay, thanks. c: that's what i was thinking, but OFL said treat it for the
full volume of the tank so i suspected add dechlorinator for the full 2.5 gallons?

but, i guess i'll just dose it for whatever part of the water is untreated.
oh, and also, do you think it's okay to do 100% only every two weeks?
most people recommend every week, with usually 50% in between,
but, is bi-weekly possibly okay?

for now, i think i'll do every week.
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:14 PM   #9 
thePWNISHER
New Member
 
thePWNISHER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Glendale, AZ
I am uncertaqin because again I've never had a 2.5 gallon. Best thing to do is check test your water for ammonia since you will not have the tank cycled and see how fast it takes it to grow from 0-0.25ppm It could be 2 days it could be 10 days, but you'll see how much it is changing, just remember that 0.5ppm or higher is when you for sure need to do and 1.0ppm or higher is deadly to your fish. Everyone has a different tank and you just have to know how fast your tank grows to 0.5ppm after that you will know how often you need to change your water.
thePWNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:49 PM   #10 
audjree
Member
 
audjree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Southern California
alright, thanks! i'll be sure to test the water. c:
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A A few questions about cycling tank and starting another BlueHaven Betta Fish Care 8 09-27-2010 05:02 PM
Questions about tank and cycling etc. laurie07 Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 4 11-20-2009 11:21 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.