Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2011, 08:08 PM   #1 
Kytkattin

Thumbs down Internal Parasites

Yesterday when I was feeding my boys I noticed that Monet had what I will call 'poopy-butt' because I have rabbits and that is what we call it when they have poop stuck to their bums. Basically he had a long white thing with poop on it.

I went to Wally World and got some Jungle fizzy dissolving anti-parasite tablets. I broke them into 4ths because it said it was for treating 10 gallons and they are in 2 gallon tanks. Not sure I was supposed to do that, but they seem to be doing fine 5 hours after the fact (I am treating Smaug because there is a good chance that he could be infected too, based on his small poops and the fact that they share everything but the same bowl).

Now, where could my precious Monet have gotten worms? I recently started feeding frozen brine shrimp, but I thought they were relatively safe. Of course the other possibility is that he has always been infected, it is just now noticeable. His poops have been very large and healthy, but I just don't know if maybe they did come out with white stuff before.

So this is not really an emergency, but I obviously want to get this taken care of ASAP!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:08 PM   #2 
DarkMoon17

Are you sure the poop is white? How long have you had them and have you added anything new to their tanks recently? Can you fill out the sticky at the top of the disease section for us? That will help us diagnose them better.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:58 PM   #3 
Kytkattin

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gallons (per fish)
What temperature is your tank? 78-80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? A sponge filter.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? In the sponge filter.
Is your tank heated? yuppers.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None. 2 -2gal bowls right next to each other (but I am trying to get them free of parasites so they can go into a 5.5 split tank).

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Frozen Brine Shrimp, Spectrum (the tiny crumble with high protein one).
How often do you feed your betta fish? Every day or every other day.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every other day or every 3 days.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: Fine
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: I don't test this often, but our tap is always between 6.0-7.0
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Poop with white strands holding it together (the poop was normal colored brown, the strands holding the clumps together were white).
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He didn't want to eat as much today as normal (ate 2 brine shrimp and then went back into hiding).
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday I noticed the white poopy butt.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? The Jungle fizzy tabs from Walmart.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He has always been a mopey, lazy (lethargic?), miserable fish. I will never pick out a fish based on color instead of temperament!
How old is your fish (approximately)? Probably around a year when you consider he was 6-8 months at the petstore.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:20 PM   #4 
DarkMoon17

If he has always been "mopey" then he might have come to you with a mild case of parasites.

Jungle's Fizz tabs should do the job. If they don't then give them a break (1week) and try API General Cure. You can also soak their brine shrimp/pellets in garlic juice. That will make them taste better and garlic has natural anti-parasitic properties.

Try to throw in a 100% water change each per week long term. For now, do a 30-100% water change every other day and clean the gravel thoroughly to remove eggs.

To be safe, premix the fizz tabs instead of breaking them. Dissolve one fizz tab in 5 cups of dechlorinated water. Use 1/2 cup of the mixture to treat 1 gal of tank water (1 cup per 2 gallons).

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 07-28-2011, 12:49 AM   #5 
Kytkattin

I am actually really hoping that he came with parasites and they are not from the frozen food. Then that means I don't have to switch food. Oh, and I forgot to mention that only recently did he start eating normal amounts of food. He loves brine shrimp, so maybe now that is is not subjecting himself to starvation rations the worms got bigger?

Do they sell garlic juice in a little squeeze thing like they do lemons? That would be awesome!

Hopefully long term (as in 1-2 weeks) they will be moved into a planted/filtered tank. Once this whole thing gets taken care of that is... I was actually going to move them in next week, but now I am thinking I will hold off. Oh well. They don't need to be moved until mid August when I move.

I will dissolve the tabs now.

Thank you for your help! Hopefully he will be doing better in the morning.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:32 AM   #6 
DarkMoon17

I truly wish they sold garlic juice bottles but they don't! The closest thing to that are jars of precrushed/preminced garlic. You'll find them next to the fresh garlic in your local supermarket. You could also crush fresh garlic yourself, it might be more effective that way. I use garlic a lot for cooking so I always have a jar of preminced garlic laying around. It makes life much easier.

I doubt he got parasites from his frozen foods so don't worry about that. You'll see him acting better soon if he did indeed have parasites. It's a good plan to keep them separate for a bit but I'm sure they will love the new tank!

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 07-28-2011, 01:02 PM   #7 
Kytkattin

Gah! Will I do love garlic too, but right now I wish I had a juicer that I could put a few through. I do always have a jar of minced garlic on hand too! It is good in just about everything.

Now I do have a question about the whole treatment thing: How long should I wait between water changes and adding new medicine? It says I can re-treat the tank after 48 hours and a 25% water change. Should I wait that long?

Also, should I up the temp? I thought I had read somewhere that you are supposed to raise the temp for parasites, but maybe that was for ick...

Thank you again so much! I just want my boy to feel better. I would love to see him flare!
Old 07-28-2011, 01:10 PM   #8 
DarkMoon17

When I treat fish in a tank under 2.5 gal I try to do a 100% water each day and replace the whole dose of medication. This is especially important with parasites since you need to remove fallen parasites before they can reproduce. If possible, at least do a 30-50% water change every day where you clean the gravel thoroughly and replace the right amount of medication. You will need to continue treatment for at least 4 days (aka 2 courses) but you might have to do it a bit longer. Increasing the temp will quicken their lifecycle so it would help.

Keep us posted!
Old 07-29-2011, 01:10 AM   #9 
Kytkattin

Okay. I did that. They both ate amazingly tonight. No more poopy-butt that I noticed, but since I fed him a lot hopefully he will poop a lot in the morning. What should I increase them temp to? Right now it is at 79, but I was thinking 82 or maybe even 86 if that would be safe.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:56 AM   #10 
Sakura8

Kytkattin and DarkMoon, if you can find it at a LFS, there is Seachem Garlic Guard. Foster and Smith Aquatics also carries it online. The breakdown is:
Garlic extract - 9900ppm
Allicin (active ingredient) - 130 ppm
Vitamin C - 1000 ppm
It works in the same way as garlic juice, soak the food in it. I know one of my LFS carries it so hopefully there will be a store that carries it in your areas.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote