Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2011, 01:44 PM   #11 
DarkMoon17

Thank you Sakura! I saw that will I was looking up Seachem Kanaplax (you might want to look into that too- it treats Dropsy) and I was wondering how it worked. I'm going to my FAVORITE fish speciality store today so hopefully they have both. Some of my fish are "off" right now so I've been soaking their food in fresh garlic twice per day, really time consuming -.-
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:12 PM   #12 
Sakura8

DarkMoon, I just got some today and it's pure garlic extract. Now my bloodworms smell as bad as they look! And everyone but my sick girl attacked the garlic soaked food so it works! I never once would have guessed fish liked garlic.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:06 PM   #13 
Kytkattin

I will have to pick some of that up the next time I order from them. Which will hopefully be a while since I am broke now... lol.

So far Monet seems to have perked up a little bit. I did 2 treatments, and now they are in clean water (no treatment). Should I do one more treatment? The box said to do 2-3 treatments depending on what the fish was infected with, but since I don't know what that was...
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:50 PM   #14 
DarkMoon17

You'll want to do at least one more course of meds. Internal parasites typically take some time to get rid of. If you have Epsom Salt, you can use 1tsp/gal to help him expel the worms naturally.

Sakura- I found that Seachem Garlic stuff and it is amazing! The fish love their pellets even more now :D Their love for garlic has surprised me too! It's really quite strange...
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:21 PM   #15 
Sakura8

Kytkattin, I'm glad to hear Monet is perking up. Keep on fighting, the two of you will get those parasites whipped in no time.

I'm glad you found the Garlic Guard, DarkMoon, it makes soaking food in garlic sooo much easier. I'll keep an eye out for the Kanaplax, too, it sounds like a good one to keep in the medicine cabinet.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:28 PM   #16 
Kytkattin

Unfortunately I only have lavender scented epsom salts (well I also have these other plain ones, but they are soooooo old I don't know if I can trust them/would only use them in an emergency). Though apparently brine shrimp might help them go? Which might have been the reason I even noticed parasites in the first place since he would only eat them (I got them about 2 weeks ago and that was the first time since I had him he ate regularly). Now he is eating some of my spectrum crumble. :)

I did one more treatment, and will do another in a few days. I get my wisdom teeth out in the morning, so wish me luck with a water change tomorrow (and also, I might be rather out of it so if I post something completely off the wall you know why!). Right now he is actually up at the top of the water cruising around! Smaug flared at him, but he just ignored it (though his back was turned, so I am not even sure he saw Smaug flare...). Just the fact that he is at the surface is major progress. Before he would just lay at the bottom of his tank (not dieing, just... there).

I am just so happy he is perkier! He is so pretty, I just like being able to see him! Thank you again!
Old 07-31-2011, 11:47 PM   #17 
Sakura8

Yup, brine shrimp and daphnia both have a lot of fiber. Daphnia is probably the best but it's so small, I find brine shrimp a lot easier to feed. I'm so happy he's doing better, thank goodness you caught the parasites in time.

I hope your wisdom teeth removal goes smoothly. I'm hanging on to mine for dear life, bound and determined not to have them out. I think it's because I remember how my brother was after he got his out and I'm like, "No way am I doing this." But then, I hate having anything done with my teeth in general.

Take it easy, Kytkattin, and don't bend after for a couple hours after you get those teeth out.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:34 AM   #18 
Kytkattin

I just realized that I don't know how to start a siphon without suction.

Water changes are going to be miserable.

But I am glad to know that the brine shrimp are good to keep feeding for now. I was rushing out the door tonight so I just gave him some spectrum. He didn't even finish it. Going to try brine shrimp again tomorrow evening. Hopefully he is just acting spoiled and wants his brine shrimp. Or maybe he is upset that I put medicine back in the water.

And I do have a wonderful boyfriend that can help me with said water changes and feedings! So I will post again once I am done with my teeth extraction! ( <- how I feel right now)
Old 08-01-2011, 03:38 AM   #19 
Sakura8

This video should help. Dirty fish water would NOT be good for your mouth after the teeth extraction.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfEBbjKK5xQ
Old 08-01-2011, 11:58 PM   #20 
Kytkattin

Thank you for the video! They will have to wait on a water change until tomorrow morning, but that is okay. I will manage to get the energy up to feed them in a little while. To be honest I haven't even checked on them since this morning before my surgery. Monet was back to his mopey self, but I think that is because of the meds. He should perk up with the water change in the morning.

For now I am enjoying watching various things. Including 1-5 of the Harry Potter movies.