Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2013, 11:54 PM   #1 
shimagoma

Prospective pair

So im getting my firs really nice pair of bettas and would love feedback on this pair. I waited a bit for them and fancy the male rather a lot!

thoughs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyx5Ikh7b_0

I also want to keep in mind that i would love others opinions on their shape and color, seeing as i want to sell some of the babies as well as make a few of my own clean looking fish!
Attached Images

Last edited by shimagoma; 05-13-2013 at 11:57 PM. Reason: picture added
shimagoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:18 AM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Color wise, he is still quite rare - blue fins with white body (dragon)

But fin wise, he needs lots of improving. He can be classed as traditional PK though. Round caudal, small front ray dorsal.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:20 AM   #3 
shimagoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
Color wise, he is still quite rare - blue fins with white body (dragon)

But fin wise, he needs lots of improving. He can be classed as traditional PK though. Round caudal, small front ray dorsal.
that is my current issue, his colors are really cool but I am wondering if I want to spend the work for better tails over time? and as to how long that might take.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:33 AM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Can't say really - but about 3 generations in the least. The more fry you can produce out of 1 spawn, the faster you can reach your goal.

When breeding for form (improving), luck may play a key factor - if lucky and get what you need/want in fry. But sometimes the genes you want were the ones that didn't survive. This will take more generations to finally get you want.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:05 AM   #5 
shimagoma

This makes me think as a starter project I might want to hunt down something to breed mostly for color? something that is easier to start with no?

hmmm ): ! i hate deciding!
Old 05-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Most colors are easier to fix than form. But you are working with a very difficult color combo :

Dragons are suppose to have white body and colored fins - which names the dragon color. But this is almost impossible for irid colors. For some reason their bodies will be irid colors too. So a green dragon would have green body and fin, so will blue and steel blue dragons.

You are working with a white body with royal blue fins . . . what I call "a true blue dragon" because it is in accordance to the original dragon "setup". This is very hard to achieve - but easily lost.

I say work for that color. Once you have a good number of them, begin cross breeding to other dragon colors to fix the fin form. . . . with this color, your goal would be totally white body with totally blue fins. . . . it wont be easy, but then again too easy wouldn't make it interesting, would it. :)
Old 05-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #7 
shimagoma

thoughts on the female at all?
she does have a bit more red in her tail and better fins. She would make for a good first step i think!
Old 05-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #8 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

They are not hmpk, they are jus pk. Not amazing spread and round caudals.
Ventrals, the male has nice thick ones that are not split but the females, appear as if they could be better.
Their colours are very nice though, a personal goal of mine is to achieve a perfect blue dragon. But it is very hard. Beautiful fish though
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:06 PM   #9 
shimagoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulBetta123 View Post
They are not hmpk, they are jus pk. Not amazing spread and round caudals.
Ventrals, the male has nice thick ones that are not split but the females, appear as if they could be better.
Their colours are very nice though, a personal goal of mine is to achieve a perfect blue dragon. But it is very hard. Beautiful fish though
Well, neither of them are dragon scale (just basically a purple splash blue cambodian with some purple sheen)

also isnt it 6+ rays that make a hmpk? ontop of the 180?
Old 05-14-2013, 11:02 PM   #10 
Mahsfish

Can see the female but male is very poor quality. Dorsal is too small, and the caudal is rounded and not 180. Both male and female have poor coloring for marbles. And the males looks like ha he's red wash
Mahsfish is offline   Reply With Quote