Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2011, 11:28 PM   #1 
SageMyster

Exclamation RAPID Fin Loss! HELP ):

Here's some backstory:
I bought Harlot on July 12th from Petco, where he was very poorly handled; his fins were short and raggedy and he was very unhealthy. I began a five-day salt treatment that ended on July 17th in order to help his fins grow. And it worked marvelously!

Before: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/oci2/harlot.png
After: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/oci2/Harlot3.png (this was the day his treatments ended.)

Since then his fins have grown and grown with rapid speed, and he has been a very happy, spoiled boy! He likes to play with a ping-pong ball and follow my finger around, and he's got quite a bit of sass nowadays. I was amazed with his progress!

Now some stats:
- 1-gal plastic tank (all my university will allow)
- marble "gravel"
- two silk plants
- filter
- every 2-3 day water change (50%, 75%, or 100%) with conditioner
- last water change was 3 days ago, 100% change

Yesterday morning I found him tangled in one of his silk plants; he had somehow managed to get himself caught in it, and was writhing to get out... so I lifted the plant gently up and he shot out. He looked none worse for the wear, just a little scatterbrained. His fins were fine. I took that plant out this morning, just in case.

THIS morning I woke up, and to my horror, found this:

Before:

(he had actually drastically progressed since this outdated picture)

AFTER:

What on EARTH happened??!!

The pictures did not come out well and do not show the majority of the damage, but they do show major tearing on his caudal fin. However, irl, just looking at him right now, he looks like a ragdoll! He was also especially antsy, almost traumatized this morning. It can't be the filter... the pull isn't strong enough! And are no fin remnants on the tank flooring or anywhere.

I looked up fin diseases. I suppose it could be fin rot, but he is so well taken care of, and how could he go from glorious babe-killer one night to raggedy andy the next morning?! I mean, the change is drastic.

There IS transparent growth at the end of his caudal fin, so that's good. No bleeding, no blacks spots, no white spots, just giant rips. If I were to try another 5-day salt treatment, would it be too soon? Help! I don't know what to do to help him!

Any advice would be appreciated!

Gratefully,
Sage

EDIT: I checked water levels this morning. Nothing was out of the ordinary except that his pH had shot down from 7.5 three days prior to 6.8.
SageMyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:02 AM   #2 
DarkMoon17

Poor Harlot! Always getting in trouble. It looks like he tore his fins on the plants. I don't see black tips so it isn't fin rot.

Your water change schedule is perfect for helping his fins regrow so keep it up. You can add Stress Coat or Kordon's FIsh Protector to help his tissue regrow. Feed him frozen/live foods to boost his immune system. A healthy fish's fins will grow back within a few weeks.

You should consider removing those plants and buying some more betta-friendly live plants.

Good luck with him and keep us posted :)
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:17 AM   #3 
SageMyster

I know, guy can't catch a break, right? I guess you'll have to wait longer on those pictures...

I use Aqueon Water Conditioner, which claims that it "helps reduce stress"... so should I still try stress coat, or is that a waste? I will definitely look into Kordon's! Do you think I should start another salt treatment (this soon?) or will it matter at all?

And can you think of any other explanation for his fins? The plant in there is silk and I can't see how he could possibly harm himself so badly on it. I mean, THIIIIS badly.

This is what he got snagged in yesterday, which I didn't remove until this morning, so I suppose it's possible he wandered there again... but then, it seems so unlikely that something that's never happened before occurs two days in a row! And he wasn't hurt the first time. :/
http://www.petco.com/product/113422/...t=OnSiteSearch

Thank you so much Moon. I'm glad to hear you don't think it's fin rot and I always deeply appreciate your advice!
Old 07-28-2011, 12:55 AM   #4 
SageMyster

Btw, if I use Kordon's, should I use it at the same time as the salt treatments? Do I need to do 50-75% water changes with Kordon's as I had to with the salt treatment?
Old 07-28-2011, 02:06 AM   #5 
Sakura8

Not fin rot, that's for sure. I wonder if he started tailbiting because he was scared after his plant entrapment? One of my guys has been fine but the other day, my most clumsy cat fell into the tank next to his and made a lot of noise, possibly even jarred his tank a little. I took a nap and two hours later woke up and he had bitten off EVERYTHING.
Name:  Crichton In Light.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  60.7 KB
Name:  Crichton's Bitten Tail.jpg
Views: 1024
Size:  38.1 KB
If Harlot's tail wasn't all torn up at the moment you released him, I would think he got stressed and started nomming on his tail.

No salt treatment, I would say, since he just finished one. Just use Kordon's Fish Protector or Stress Coat and feed him those live/frozen foods like DarkMoon said.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:39 AM   #6 
Tikibirds

I have those plants too, they are soft and even the green pointed one I don't think could do that damage. I would say he is tail bitting.

I've got a blue HM who now looks like a CT and nothing I have done has stopped him from shredding his tails :( And I think Sesshomarhu has been nipping at his tail a bit too

Stress coat is great for fin regrowth but if he continues to bite, i dont know how much good it would do. Although I use it for water conditioner.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 07-28-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:52 AM   #7 
Sakura8

Tiki, no say it ain't so! Not Sesshy! Sesshy can't be a tailbiter, it's not right.

SageMyster, hopefully this was one-time deal where he bit his tail because he was stressed. If he continues to be a chronic tailbiter, there's not much you can do but try and keep him as entertained as possible. You can float soda bottle caps in his tank, show him videos, or tie a string to a button and drag it around his water for him to chase. :/ Poor Harlot, I hope he lets his tail heal up. Silly Harlot, whatcha wanna eat your own tail for anyway?
Old 07-28-2011, 12:23 PM   #8 
DarkMoon17

Wow Sakura, your boy did a number on his tail! I've never seen anything like that before D:

SageMyster- You don't need to do another round of salt since you just did one recently. You can use API Stress Coat instead of your normal conditioner. It is much better, especially since he needs to repair tissue. If you use Kordon's you will still need to use a water conditioner. It is awesome stuff though. One of my girls had a hernia after she ate too much. She literally had a hole in her side. After a week of treatment with Kordon's Fish Protector it had all sealed up beautifully. I assume you could use API Stress Coat as the conditioner and Kordon's Fish Protector as well but that might be overkill!

Hopefully he isn't a tail biter but getting himself caught in the plant very well could have caused a tail biting fit. Try to keep his life interesting. Offer lots of different foods and move his decor around after water changes. Reduce stresses as much as possible.

Good luck and keep us posted!
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:42 PM   #9 
Sakura8

DarkMoon, I think I almost literally had to pick my jaw off the floor when I first saw my boy. Thought I was still asleep, haha. I know my case was definitely stress-induced so I'm hoping it's the same with Harlot after his adventures with his plant. His fins are too pretty to be nommed on.

SageMyster, I love Stress Coat. It's great and since it's a water conditioner too, you only have to put one thing in the water. I haven't used Kordon's Fish Protector yet but DarkMoon's testimony about her girl with the hernia has made me a believer already.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:48 PM   #10 
fightergirl2710

I'm imagining the real Sesshy, nomming on his boa now XD.. Sakura WTH Crichton doesn't even look like the same fish!
Lots of fishies have been biting their tails on here recently.. Collective betta conscience?
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote