Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2011, 04:12 PM   #11 
Indyfishy

The Petsmart in my town is actually really nice!!! The employees are knowledeable and the animals are always pretty healthy!! But the Petco a few towns over..... oh my gosh. So bad. I got one of my bettas from there, and he was one of about 10 that were completely healthy. And there must have been atleast 50 bettas on those shelves. Most of them were covered in white fuzz, two had popeyes, and all were lethargic. The cups were NASTY. The store itself was dirty and stinky, and when we went to check out the cashier was HIGH. Like no joke, he was completely out of it. I hate that store >=(
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:04 AM   #12 
Tahki

Try working there. Oh the um..how to put it nicely...amazingly dumb questions people will ask me about fish. The best so far was "do tropical fish need heaters?".

I must have spent an hour yesterday explaining to a mother you couldn't put males together...or a male and female. She wouldn't take no for an answer and kept trying to come up with all sorts of ways that she thought would work. Don't get me started on explaining that they need heaters. If you're gonna shell out $50 on ornaments, why not a heater?

I've also caught coworkers saying that if you put a plant in a betta vase, it'll just eat and live off that. And you should see the new "aquarium test" in Pet Care that we had to take. It said we should tell people to change 25% of their water...MONTHLY. My manager is sitting there with me reading it going "Yeah....corporate is an idiot". I'm happy to say at least our animals are taken care of. D: I hate hearing that other stores are this bad. Where's their manager!?
Tahki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:19 AM   #13 
youlovegnats

@Tahki- O_______________________________________O !!!

that is all.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:28 AM   #14 
caitic10

I just found a new lfs!!!! It has a few other locations but the one by me if soooooooo cool! They have every type of tropical fish imaginable. They even have this tank with a huge shark in it. My dad's taking me on the weekend so I can go buy some frozen bloodworms and brineshrimp. :)
caitic10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:08 AM   #15 
justemoi

I was at my Petco the other day... there were so many sad little bettas... some laying on their side at the bottom gasping, some floating on the top on their sides, king bettas squished into little cups and some dead :(

So, I asked an employee "Do you know that you have a lot of sick betta fish? What do you do with all of the sick bettas?" He responded... "Yes. I know. We wait for them to die and then write them off as damage" (by now the manager has come over) so I asked him "Can I take the sick ones since you are just going to let them die anyway?" and he stated "No, because then we will be unable to write them off".

I wanted to grab all the fishies and run for the hills!!! :( So sad.
justemoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:17 AM   #16 
youlovegnats

@justemoi,
Don't you just hate how the economy these days are treating animals just as money? I've been seeing more and more mistreated bettas >_<; And it seems like whatever anyone does, it really doesn't help as much as it should. *rollseyes*

EDIT: Well, more and more mistreated fish I should say. My Walmart does a splendid job at keeping the water clean, but there isn't enough of it- however their stock tanks are TERRIBLE. 20+ neon tetras with 20+ barbs in something around a 5 gal. >_<
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:30 AM   #17 
ashlyn1984

I have learned that our local Petco is more knowledgeable about bettas than our local PetSmart is. My dad had informed with that when he went and got a betta for their house from PetSmart the department manager of the fish department told him not to worry about using the filter in their tank and also told him to feed her once a day. He soon realized that she needed to eat at least 3 times a day when she was slowly knocking on death's door. Needless to say she has perked up. However he has yet to put the filter on the tank but it is cleaned out quite often. Now my story. I went to PetSmart to get a betta. Found what I was looking for and bought a betta starter kit (only temporary). Within 4 days he was still an unhappy fish. I did a tank cleaning on day 3. I went to Petco and was told they do thrive ok in the tank I had but describing my issues with him she informed me he probably didn't like the quality of the water or unhappy with his tank. Bought him a new tank that did have a filter and boy has he perked up big time and finally eating. I so wish pet store workers were trained about all their fish and what they need and how many times a day they need to eat. The local PetSmart is making changes and putting female bettas in bigger tank like the other fish. Ok so my rant is over. Hope everyone has a great day. I am going to hopefully get another betta and tank today :)
ashlyn1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:49 PM   #18 
fishcurl

I think it all depends on how the Petsmart is being managed and by who. I'm not discounting or defending any of these stories, but did want to share that my local Petsmart is getting top marks in my books.

Compared to other locally-owned stores, my Petsmart has been hands above the rest in customer service, cleanliness of the fish tanks, and selection of supplies. I'm not so impressed with their betta section, but they're no worse or better than other LFSes.

However, the staff there have really won me over. They're genuinely friendly - like when they say "hello" or ask if they can help you, they're positively sincere. They even (mostly) know what they're talking about (I've checked up on some of their answers at home, hehe).

For all those with less than ideal stores, complain (respectfully) to corporate. Things happen, people do listen. Or at least I like to think so :) </eternal optimist>
fishcurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:49 PM   #19 
Luimeril

Quote:
Originally Posted by justemoi View Post
I was at my Petco the other day... there were so many sad little bettas... some laying on their side at the bottom gasping, some floating on the top on their sides, king bettas squished into little cups and some dead :(

So, I asked an employee "Do you know that you have a lot of sick betta fish? What do you do with all of the sick bettas?" He responded... "Yes. I know. We wait for them to die and then write them off as damage" (by now the manager has come over) so I asked him "Can I take the sick ones since you are just going to let them die anyway?" and he stated "No, because then we will be unable to write them off".

I wanted to grab all the fishies and run for the hills!!! :( So sad.

you could try telling them to give them to you free, and they can write them off anyways. or discounted. it's horrid, that they use them as money like that. :/
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:53 PM   #20 
BeCkS

When I was getting one of my female bettas for my sorority at Petsmart my mom kept bothering me to get a "pretty one" and I felt so bad for this girl because she was in a filthy tiny little cup and wasnt the "prettiest" and I knew that a lot of people just go for the nice looking ones, I finally convinced her that this female was the one I wanted. Shes now been with me for at least 8 months and she's GORGEOUS! her colouring came back as soon as I put her in proper housing and fed her.... My mom finally agrees that shes a pretty betta :) (sorry the picture is huge :s )
BeCkS is offline   Reply With Quote