Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2011, 04:41 AM   #21 
Arashi Takamine

My Petsmart sucked for quite awhile until the tropical fish sale. I swear every little kid and their mom was there on mothers day buying fish tanks, expensive fish tanks and looking at fish. I'm proud to say I was one of the teenagers there with mom picking out Kai's 'bed' AKA his dragon and finally...Picked my baby boy. The employee who rung us up asked if we had everything for him and praised us for already having a heater until we explained we still had the tank from when my female passed. He gave us his condolences and wished us luck with him.

Runs true to form every time I look at my boys. I've only had once instance where my mom and I left there in a sputtering rage and that was back in Winter.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:17 AM   #22 
Silverfang

At my LPS I went in searching for live food and some floating plants after he first started his tail devouring. The lady I talked to was so nice, she showed me how much bettas (and the other fishies) love frozen blood worms (since they had no live food of any kind) and even showed me how to feed them. I don't know who was more aggressive, the bettas, the angels, or the chichilids!
She went and found me some nice floating plants out of their brand new shipment, still in the back, and before I left she made sure I had a heater.

Since then I have found out there is a betta breeder who works there. When I get home in the fall I'm starting a sorority, and her girls will be the stars!

Oh, and I did see one rather sickly betta there once, well not sickly, but practically finless, they had him in one of the big tanks with what I believe were tetras, so he could have more room.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:49 PM   #23 
Vanah

Wow... I feel really awful you guys all have such shoddy Petsmarts. Mine isn't too bad, and the staff usually gives proper instructions when I overhear them talking to customers.

The only horror story I have from Petsmart is the one I posted last night, which has nothing to do with the staff. I found a dead male VT in a cup with a live CT male, as some sicko customer decided to put them together and watch them fight to the death. When I showed it to the associates they were baffled and kept trying to figure out how someone pulled that off when there's always someone in the department.

I could tell a million horror stories from listening to customers look at fish next to me, though. I've snipped at a few people in said scenarios...
Vanah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 02:05 PM   #24 
ninjaofthe9seas

Honestly mine isnt too bad as far as the fish being taken care of. I just couldnt believe that she told me to keep the water dirty.. XP I sent them an email and got an email back saying they'd look into it :P but who knows if they will or not.
ninjaofthe9seas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:06 PM   #25 
Abby

LOL i get into my "good" store on shipment days and get to root through the fish BEFORE they are unbagged while still floating in a large tank.
i actually helpped him i passed the bags to him while he opened drained and tanked them.

but i went in the other day and spoke to Liz (absolute lovely betta breeder ) and was like "you got ich" shes liek "WHERE"
turns out she got 10 vt from her supplier the day before they looked a little off and by the time i got there the next day 8/10 had ich she was rather upset and was calling the suplier
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:03 PM   #26 
ninjaofthe9seas

Theres a place near where i go to college called "That Fish Place" which is pretty awesome. :3 They have all sorts of fish, freshwater to saltwater and a little stingray? touch tank. They actually know what they're talking about. The one guy helped me when i told him i had cynobacteria even though he didnt believe me at first XP but he went right to what i needed and it was wonderful. I didnt know what it was for awhile, just thought it was some sort of algae... I think thats what eventualy kept making Henny sick and eventually killed him though. :/
ninjaofthe9seas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:53 PM   #27 
Mew

One employee tried to tell me that a 10 gallon tank was too big for a betta and that mine would only live half of his life span because of it. I just started laughing and told her how stupid she sounded.
Mew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:38 PM   #28 
Vanah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mew View Post
One employee tried to tell me that a 10 gallon tank was too big for a betta and that mine would only live half of his life span because of it. I just started laughing and told her how stupid she sounded.

Man you'd think they'd WANT you to buy the biggest tank possible based on simple retail store profit logic. Which means they really actually believe that you should put them the smallest possible. *shakes head*
Vanah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:18 PM   #29 
BETTA DET

I know its not petsmart, but a funny Petco story. It is amazing how many people think keeping a betta is easy. I must say that. One mother was walking with her son who was looking at the bettas and said to him, those are easy fish. I held my tongue, for once.

But anyway, I went and picked out Freedom today and of course that led to a piece of driftwood, a plant, bloodworms, water conditioner (I knew I was out of it) and twice as much as I wanted to spend.

I get home hoping to get the fish acclamated and put the plant and the driftwood into the tank, figured Id do that first because it seemed logical. Put my arm in the tank and said well that seems cold. Check the thermometer 68, uh oh. My heater burned out, back to petco. Now 4x what I wanted to spend today. Get back home, set up heater. Plug in and nothing. Call petco, Hey is this things light supposed to be on? Let me plug one in and check, YEP. Back to petco. Pick up a non-defective heater, home and set it up.

So freedom is waiting in his petco cup, and was looking mighty pale, but I gave him some bloodworms and he has perked up pretty quick.
BETTA DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:59 PM   #30 
Mew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanah View Post
Man you'd think they'd WANT you to buy the biggest tank possible based on simple retail store profit logic. Which means they really actually believe that you should put them the smallest possible. *shakes head*
That would make sense, but the employees don't think when they say something to their customers. The bigger and better the tank, the more expensive it's going to be. You'd think that they'd want you to spend more money at their store. It's a shame that they're so ignorant about their own live animals.
Mew is offline   Reply With Quote