Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #1 
Lucypie

He's puffy! What do I do?

Okay, I have a beautiful Betta. He's probably a year old or less. I've had him in a 10 G tank with some fathead minnows, otocincluses, and khuli loaches. He is beginning to look a bit puffy around the head. Do I need to remove him? I will put pictures. This is my BABY. So please help me.

Here are pictures.

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/7726/1003209j.jpg
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/5292/1003200n.jpg
http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/4631/1003202.jpg
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/9914/1003204x.jpg
http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/7125/1003229t.jpg
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/5793/1003218m.jpg
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/5919/1003220s.jpg
http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/840/1003224p.jpg

My aunt has a Betta, and he has Dropsy (I think) and he looks like someone put a XL Marble in his head. Meme swears he doesn't look any different, and refuses to get help for him. I hope that you guys know a cure for whatever this poor dear has.
Lucypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:09 PM   #2 
Lucypie

Okay. In my rush and worry i forgot to provide vital information.
*copies and pastes from the sticky at the top of the forum*

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 Gallons
What temperature is your tank? 75-80
Does your tank have a filter? Yes. 5-15, runs over a plant to reduce current but increase aeration
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 3 minnows, 2 otos, 3 loaches

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? a mix of crushed tropical flakes, crushed goldfish flakes, and crushed bloodworms. Crushed to help the tinnnny minnows
How often do you feed your betta fish? about once a day, one day of fasting

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Haven't yet, don't know how. Only had him in this tank a week. I have added some bacteria to the tank to help keep it clean & non-toxic.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I only know how to ph test and I don't have a "local pet store". Nearest one is an hour+ away.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH: between 7.2 and 7.6
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? top of head is swlling
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? not changed a bit
When did you start noticing the symptoms? just a hour or so ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No. Dunno how.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Nope. Never been sick atall.
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1 y?
Old 07-28-2011, 05:45 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum...sorry you are having problems....and please don't take this the wrong way......but your tank is poorly stock, overstock and uncycled without the needed water changes to keep the fish safe.....good that you are here for help......

Right now get the Betta in a small container and start 50% water changes with like temp dechlorinated water for a couple of days...you want to try and keep the water temp in the 75-76F range for now

I couldn't really tell much by the pics...can you get a side view full body
He is a year old or you have had him for a year
What did you keep him in before this 10gal tank...is he eating and pooping okay, any buoyancy problems, clamp fins or

The 10gal filtered tank-start making 25% water only change today and tomorrow make a 50% with vacuum

Tell me about your source water....well water, RO water, city supply tap water.....

You didn't list additive...do you use dechlorinator

Is that live plants or fake plants...if live how many and what species....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:10 PM   #4 
freeflow246

I'm no expert, but I can't see anything wrong with your betta.
freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:39 PM   #5 
Lucypie

I can't really get any more pictures, I will get some tomorrow or late tonight at another persons house. I have computer issues and am using someone elses computer.

He WAS in a normal fish bowl. I realized this was cruelty and bought a tank. I set the tank up, let it run a week to get the bacteria set up, and then placed him in it. I began stocking the fish in there about a week later, and have had it fully stocked about a week. I've added bacteria twice to insure I don't have toxivity problems.
I don't have a vaccumn and I don't know how to change the water other than in a fish bowl. Don't think that the tank is any bit dirty, because the Otos are GREAT algae eaters, loaches are great rock cleaners, and minnows are wonderful about cleaning the decor. The plants are fake, but I planned on adding one stick of bamboo for a live plant.

I use city water, but put through a very good filter. I use about 1/4th the dose of dechlorinater that you are supposed to use for hard tap. The tank filter has a 3 step process of cleaning water, and the filter on my sink has this whole big fancy deal that I don't know or care anything about xD But the water does get REALLY clean.

The betta is not having any problems at all. He is swimming like normal, eating like normal, and just being his normal self. Before I put him in the 10G he was a little depressed and wanted to sit on the rocks until I "played" with him. (I would move around the tank and he would swim with me and was very frisky). He wasn't very enthralled with a filter, so I bought a large fake plant that would kind of help out the current on one side.

The only problem is, I noticed that he was getting a little extra round in the front, and I was worried he might have developed a disease. I mean, its not HORRIBLE yet and he doesn't look pinecone-ish yet but I want to be safer than sorry. I will prepare a tank tonight and put him in the new tank tomorrow.

As you can tell in this picture (which was in the first post)
http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/7726/1003209j.jpg
Right about his fin, you can see almost a lump going. It's on both sides, but you can only tell on one side in the pic.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

You can't see the toxic substance...even with clear water doesn't mean its fish safe water.....especially with overstock/poorly stocked tank....it hasn't been running long enough for the nitrogen cycle to establish...can you post water pram numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and type of testing product used......Sadly, you have a lot of problems going on in the tank and its just a matter of time before things go wrong/bad.......

I would at least make a 50% water change by dipping half the water out with a cup since you don't have a vacuum and dose the dechlorinator for the full volume of the tank....depending the water filter system you are using for the source water it may only be changing one Ion for another that is worse for the long term health of the fish...

Good luck.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #7 
freeflow246

By 'round in the front' do you mean his head or his belly?
Old 07-28-2011, 09:51 PM   #8 
Lucypie

When I say I added bacteria, I mean I added the living bacteria to the tank and it speeds that cycle up by about 200%. It is supposed to make it safe for fish "instantly" but I gave it a week to filter. I watched the water get cloudy (bacteria burst), and then waited for it to calm back again (settle in filter/gravel/other), and then when I stocked it completely, I added a booster to INSURE that there was enough bacteria to keep it safe. I don't have a test kit because they don't sell them around here. They don't sell crap around here :/ The only place I could buy something like that is at least an hour away, and I don't even know if any of those stores would have the crap. The only things our local walmart sells are food, thermometers, tanks, and rocks. Maybe an ornament or two. Thats about it. Wouldn't taking 50% of the water out kind of traumatize the fish? The chlorine stuff says to wait 24 hours for it to be fully safe. Do I need to wait till tomorrow to pour it in?
Will putting it in a metal pan be safe? Thats the only thing I have big enough to keep part of the water in. Even then I'd be using several pans and bowls.

And round in the front kind of means right below the head. His eyes and mouth are not affected, but below is.

PS, If I got some of the other fish out, could my 10G hold another betta? We already ran into a problem with my male disliking a rosy red minnow. He doesn't like colors much, but could he deal with another male? I saw one at the pet store the day I went to get my fish. He was 10$ but he w as BEAUTIFUL. His water looked old though and I worry they don't take care of them like they should. I wish I could have bought him then but I didn't have room.

Last edited by Lucypie; 07-28-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:02 PM   #9 
freeflow246

Well, that's right where his stomach is. You might be over feeding him. I saw that you fast him once a week, but how much do you usually feed him? I thought there was something wrong with my betta a few years ago, but once I cut back on how much I gave him he returned to normal.
Like I said, I'm no expert, but sometimes the easiest solution is the right one.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:21 PM   #10 
Lucypie

Well, I only feed a half a pinch of each type of food, but you could be right. he doesn't touch the wafers so I'll drop more of them in and cut back the flakes/worms. I'm going to try that before I traumatize him by sticking him back in that bowl xD I'll keep a REALLY close eye on him and if he gets any worse I'll separate him.
I still need to know if its safe to put water in a large metal stockpot because I don't wanna poison them by filling it like that.