Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2011, 12:23 PM   #1 
Nexangelus

Getting a betta shipped is unbelievably stressful.

I live in a 3 story house, so I spent the morning sitting on the bottom floor literally 20 feet away from the door where the mail was supposed to be delivered. I decided to go to the bathroom and on my way to the lavatory I spotted a nice pink slip sitting on my welcome mat.

Infuriated, I walked to the post office ready, completely ready to chew out the first employee who gave me any attitude about sorting it out. I realized while waiting in line that the stub said "Available for pickup July 29" and figured it was a typo... It wasn't. I got to the counter and handed them the slip... They checked out back and said the driver wasn't back. I told them the package was clearly marked "Live cargo" and nobody knocked on my door. They said they couldn't help me and gave me the wonderful advice: "Just go look around your neighborhood... He's probably around there still" I had trouble keeping my stupid mouth shut and told the woman she was a moron before I left.

So I walked around my neighborhood for about an hour and a half. I finally spotted the truck driving by me. I tried to wave him down, holding up the slip... He looked me right in the eye and drove by... Great!

I'm incredibly worried... Mad, too... I'm not sure my fish can make it in that post office overnight. It's frigid in there and they've been shipped with a cold pack... I'm worried they're going to get too cold and die.

Anyone have any suggestions short of storming in there and demanding the management to call the driver? I'm an inch away from doing that... That's pure negligence and irresponsibility on their part. You can't go around doing that... Express delivery with a "Live cargo" tag.... And they didn't knock... Unbelievable...
Nexangelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:36 PM   #2 
CoverMeInClay

I would go and do exactly what you said. Demand to speak with someone in charge. If it clearly states live cargo they should have knocked, rang a doorbell, and knocked again if you hadn't answered in a short amount of time. I hope you get your baby home safe. I'd pitch a royal fit myself!
CoverMeInClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #3 
PhilipPhish

wow... I don't know what I'd do... Never had one shipped..

I guess you can call the person who is shipping the betta to you and make sure it was all sent to the right place, if it was, then go to the post office and kindly ask if its there i guess...
PhilipPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:54 PM   #4 
Pitluvs

Kindly nothing, your post should have called that driver and get him to go back to your house! Here, there is a number you can call for people in charge of delivery, the post office isn't. I would get that number and pitch a fit!! I used to buy expensive material online and my small animal food. The post would leave the parcel on my step!!! No slip, no knock. The last staw was when they left my $200 Urn for my dog on my step. I live on a main street in a crime area. Needless to say, they knock like crazy now.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:32 PM   #5 
Nexangelus

The nightmare is over... I found a different mailman in my neighborhood who apparently knew this joker... He called him up and just delivered my fish! Both are alive, although the male looks pretty stressed out and seems to have bit his tail a bit. Either way, mission success! Nice to know there are some good people out there. :)
Nexangelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:01 PM   #6 
Luimeril

when Spy and Heavy were shipped, i was freaking out. x: it wasn't so bad, until it was day 3 of Priority mail, and they were supposed to be at my door.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:37 PM   #7 
CoverMeInClay

I'm glad to hear they arrived safely. If you can find out the name of the guy who left you the slip you should report him.
CoverMeInClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:44 PM   #8 
freeflow246

Well at least you found someone nice enough to get in contact with your mailman. Seriously though, that's pretty negligent.
freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:18 PM   #9 
1fish2fish

This is part of the reason I really prefer to do a hold for pick up when I buy fish. Its much easier to know that I can just go pick them up from the post office and not have to worry about some idiot mail man leaving them.

If they were shipped express the PROPER procedure is for the mailman to knock on your door and then if you don't answer leave a slip for pick up because express mail packages require a signature. However, I've had mailmen who don't even honk, leave the slip in the mailbox and drive off.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:25 PM   #10 
GunsABlazin

yea...mine ended up stuffed in my mailbox in 90* weather....
GunsABlazin is offline   Reply With Quote