Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2011, 01:10 PM   #1 
karendc

Post Betta bloated, has trouble swimming under water

I am hoping someone can help me. I recently changed my aquarium to a much larger one and the filtration system is totally different in my new tank, which is where i have run into problems. My old tank when i put the food in, it seemed to sink quite easy with the flow from the filter. Very rare was there any food left by the time it reached the bottom. I have my Betta hanging around the top, my Neon Tetra's in the middle with a couple of Guppy's and my Cory's on the bottom all the food was gobbled up real quick. My new tank the food seems to just swirl around the top of the water, where my Beta has been having a feast to himself!! It took a couple of days before i realised this and now feel sooo guilty.. .... The problem now is he is constipated and having trouble swimming, he just seems to float. I understand i am to put him in water with epson salts to take away the bloating but what i would like to know is i dont have another tank to seperate my Beta and was wondering if i could put eps salt in my aquarium with my other fish and snails? Or would that harm the others? I do have an old fish bowl (square) which would prob hold about a litre and half of water and i do have a spare heater i could put in there but do not have another filter. Would it be possible to put him in that bowl and not use a filter? Just dont know what to do please someone advise me .... Hope this all makes sense, as i am not very good at explaining myself ? ! ? ! Thank you.
karendc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:18 PM   #2 
Pitluvs

Salt kills snails, so no.
You could try fasting him for 24-48h and see if that moves things along. If that doesn't work....

Mix 1tsp of Epsom salts and water in a 1g container, this is where you'll store your salt mixed water.

Put him in the small tank. Only about 2-3 inches of water max.
Mix half of your tank water and half of the epsom salts mix. You don't want 100% salt mix the first day, he has to get used to it.

Tomorrow do a 100% water change and use 100% salt water mix. Do a 100% water change everyday UP TO 10 DAYS MAX :) If he's fine in 5 days, do a 100% water change with half tank water and half salt water to wean him off the salt.

He will be fine without a filter, Betta's dont NEED them but they are good to have if you can have one.

And lastly... you're going to need to baffle your new filter on the big tank. Take some aquarium foam/sponge and put it in front/on the intake. Rubber band it on. It will lessen the water flow and stop the flow on top of the water. What type of filter is it?

Last edited by Pitluvs; 07-28-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:38 PM   #3 
karendc

Hi ya, thanks for that it was really good of you. I will do as you say first thing in the morning. Keep my fingers crossed he gets better... I'm quite attached to him as he is such a character.
The filter i have is a Marina power filter. Slim.
I have tried to keep him away while i fed the others and have made sure no food has been left on the top of water for him but he is so clever and now is diving and anchoring himself under plants to get near the bottom to steal whatever he can find! I will seperate him tomorrow now i know he will be fine without a filter, so hopefully he'll get better soon.
Once again thank you so much for your help. I'm new to this, but thanks to sites like this i am learning all the time.
I will set the other bowl up tonight ready for him to go in it in the morning so the water will be warm.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:17 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum.....

To make sure it is over eating related that is causing the buoyancy problem....have a few questions....

Is his stomach bloated and any other symptoms besides the buoyancy problems.....
How big is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, live plants, additives used, how long have you had him and has he ever been sick and/or treated

To understand....he is housed in a filtered aquarium with other species of fish...correct.....and you just set this tank up...how long has the tank been running and is it cycled, do you have a test kit, no worries if you don't.....but if you do, what kind is it and can you post water prams...also can you post a pic.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:13 PM   #5 
karendc

Hi, Oldfishlady.
Yeah his stomach is bloated. He seems happy enough though and i'l give him his due he is trying real hard to swim below the water and he still comes over to great me (more like wait for his food!!) I have starved him for 48 hrs and still no better.
My tank is 60 litre and i have him, 4 Neon Tetra, 2 Guppy, 2 Cory and an 2 Assassin snails. I have it filtered ans heated. The temp is kept at 27. I have live plants. My tank is half gravel and half sand to accomodate for my Corys. I do a weekly water change once a week which is 40 - 60. I change the filters once a month but only ever one at a time. I always check my water and (touch wood) never had a problem i do have additives though incase nitrates or ammonia does happen to increase. All in all i have a very happy community and normally healthy bunch of fish. Never ran into any problems till now. I cannot believe this has happened because i always made sure the tank has no old food left in. As i said earlier there normally wasn't any food left really by the time it reached the bottom. I have seperate food for my Corys. Which my Assassin snails seem to enjoy also. I have had the set up about 6 month now and i done it all gradual. Adding 2 fish at a time.
When i purchased my new tank i had it up and running for three days before i re-housed my fish into it so i got a healthy build up of bacteria ready for them.
This new tank has been running for about four weeks now. My Corys love their new home as they have a sand pit to play in now.
The levels show at present ... Cl2 - 0, pH -6.4, kH - 3d, GH - 4d, NO2 - 1, NO3 - 10 are these levels ok?
Do you think it could be something different wrong with him? I am going to put him in a hospital tank with some epsom salt mix today and follow what i have been advised to do.
Thanks Karen
Old 07-29-2011, 02:59 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

This is about 15gal filtered at 80F-stocked with-1 Betta, 4 Neons, 2 corydoras, 2 guppies and 2 snails...sand and gravel substrate, running for about 4 weeks with live plants....what species and number of live plants and are you using any plant food...I ask-because of the Nitrite...what kind of test kit are you using and is this ppm...1ppm nitrite can be deadly...and since your fish are not dead...I suspect this may be either an error, not ppm or from plant food......do you have ammonia reading....good that you have nitrate 10ppm...correct.......good sign of the tank starting to establish the nitrogen cycle

What is the product/additive you are using for the ammonia, nitrate that you posted about.....not sure what this is

Buoyancy problems can happen due to a number of reasons- the most common being pressure on the duct due to overfeeding/constipation that usually will resolve on its own within 1-2 days of fasting, however, if the duct become inflamed/infected a treatment with Epsom salt will take care of it...depending on several factors the treatment can take anywhere from a couple of days to a week-10 days unless it is a chronic problem and sometime it can be genetic and/or due to how the Betta was housed/cared for at the fish farm or breeders....sometimes some breeders will not cull fish when they should and problems they had at the breeders resolve only to return later in life as the fish matures.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote