Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2011, 02:45 PM   #1 
PitGurl

Breeding DT's, a ?

So my DTPK pair came in today ! The breeder sent a dt female sibling. I should of asked to make sure the female was a single tail but I didn't. I've always heard you should breed dt x dt and you should especially not breed sibling dt's so now I don't know what to do. Both are long bodied and have no deformities. So now what? Here is a photo of the pair...
Attached Images

PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:36 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I have always heard/read and even posted due to what I read- that you should never breed two double tails or you end up with deformed fry..it should be DTxST and/or DTxST with DT gene......I have not been able to find any scientific research to support this...not even sure where or when I read this to start...lol.....anyway....since I keep doubletails and HMDT.....
I did some experimenting myself.....(this is not scientific by no means).......but what I got in my DTxDT was about 90% DT offspring with 5% ST with maybe 5% spinal deformities that had to be culled and that is about what I normally cull to start more or less in the first week or so anyway with any of the spawns I do......and I cull hard with all my spawns to start.....

And then when I spawn siblings or mother/son-father/daughter...no change in regards to deformities %.......

I also have spawned DTxST without the DT gene and got about 5% DT fry without any deformed spine

What I have seen-is due to the shorter body to start in some of the DT offspring-about 1%..... I can see more buoyancy problems as they mature even with straight spines and these need to be culled as well...so When I pick my breeders I look for the longer body shape along with other qualities I am looking for to meet my goals.....

It can vary...I like the DT and use them a lot to get that awesome dorsal fin on all my offspring...I personally like the look of the mirrored anal and dorsal fin...I even like that short compact body to a degree but I have been working to get that a little longer for long term health reason on the Betta...I want that thick strong caudal peduncle area to hold that tail up and so that the fish can swim correctly and without struggling.....

One way to find out.....spawn them.....

Wow....nice find....they are beautiful....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:15 PM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

DT can be or is safe to breed to another DT once. But it's safer to breed non related pairs. Assuming the breeder wouldn't spawn a pair of DT, IMO it should be safe to breed them for one generation. Then breed out your F1 to ST (preferably non related).

I often have problems with light colored HMDT as they get older/bigger. For some reason, they often lose their appetite after they're 1cm. And when their fins start growing, many have problems swimming. But PKDT are usually more adaptive compared to HMDT.

BTW, I love your male.....
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:24 PM   #4 
PitGurl

Thanks guys . I feel better now. I'll probably spawn them and then breed out to my green marble HMPK's.

@ indjo- The male is really nice. Unfourtunatly he endured some shipping stress and isn't doing so well . I'm really hoping he pulls through.
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:47 PM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I sure hope he makes it. He'd make great offspring.

Good luck with everything.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:50 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

omg, he's beautiful!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote