Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2011, 04:30 PM   #1 
Indyfishy

Question Blue water vs. clear water at the pestore?

I just went to the petsmart around the corner from me the other day, and they usually have all their bettas in the blue tinted water (i think the stuff they put in there is called methalyne blue??). This time, they only had their "halfmoons" and "dragon scale" bettas in the blue water, all the veiltails, crowntails, and females were in clear water. The halfmoons and dragons were all super active and flaring like mad at eachother. But the veiltails, crowntails, and females were all clampy and sad looking. There were actually two crowntails that had the blue water, and they were acting all tough and flaring at their mopey counterparts. None of the bettas I saw were actually sick, and the cups were all clean. Is that blue stuff really beneficial for bettas or something??? Or does it just make them feel more secure since it makes the water more murky??
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:40 PM   #2 
freeflow246

It helps prevent diseases, and I think that it may have something in there that boosts their immune system too, but I'm not sure. The store may only be putting medicine in cups with more valuable bettas, or the blue may have come from whoever ships the bettas to the store.
freeflow246 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:44 PM   #3 
fishman12

Yeah. Hmmm FreeFlow246 is right.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #4 
freeflow246

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman12 View Post
Yeah. Hmmm Jalen is right.
Haha Jalen's my fish, but that's okay. XD
freeflow246 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:52 PM   #5 
fishman12

Fixed it
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:53 PM   #6 
vibs

The storekeeper where i bought my betta said that the VT bettas have better immunity as compared to others. Probably it might be one reason.
vibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:44 AM   #7 
YoshesMom

Ok heres the rundown..The blue stuff Aids in general disease prevention, including superficial fungal infection, ich, and costia. Detoxifies fish from nitrite or cyanide poisoning it is put into the cups in a heavy dose before they are shipped out as shipping can cause alot of stress and stress weakens the immune system which increase the possibility of infection..The store after unpacking usually will do an about 90 percent water change on the cup leaving a blue tinge to the water so where as it is good as a "dip" it isnt reccommended as a prolonged treatment and it STAINS!! (Trust me i know..my poor carpet) I hope this is helpful..P.S. The betta that you saw HM and Dragon were probably a new shipment and had not had there water change yet my store gets there HM and Dragons in a different shipment then there CT and VT
YoshesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:55 PM   #8 
Indyfishy

Thank you everyone for your input!!! It just got me wondering when I saw the drastic difference in behavior. Its very true that the HM's were probably from a newer shipment, I didn't even think about that!
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 02:19 AM   #9 
Vanah

Yep, I was standing around squinting at some dragons in blue water at Petsmart when I heard customers ask about the color. Happens every time I'm in there. I knew they were medicated, but the guy who answered the woman pointed out the same thing YoshesMom said. The HM and dragons had just come in and so had more heavily treated water. He told her after they had their first change they'd get less and less heavy dosing.

Personally I don't think it's necessary and it really makes it hard to bond with a fish and make decisions there. When they come in they could at least do a 50% change of those tiny little cups right away so people can get a slightly better look at the fish. And honestly I see just as many if not more unhealthy fish there as I do at my local Petco, where the water is crystal clear and most of the fish are healthy as can be.
Vanah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:17 PM   #10 
ashlyn1984

I know our local PetSmart keeps all their bettas in the blue tinted water. However I do know they just recently started moving the female bettas into the big tanks. I am going back there this weekend. I will let you know if they have changed how they are keeping their bettas now and how the females are doing in the bigger tanks. Unfortunately I am not going to be rescuing any. I just did a rescue of a delta tail last friday from Petco and we found out dead yesterday morning. I honestly don't think it was a healthy betta he didn't even eat the food Petco fed it so I thought I would try to rescue him but he wouldn't eat for me either. Returned it today and now have a veiltail female who would just keep eating if I let her, lol. Hopefully she stays alive if not I will honestly have to say their fish are not healthy at all. Our male VT from PetSmart is healthy and happy as can be. Petcos around here keep receiving dead fish returns on a lot of their fish at at least 2 stores that I am aware of. If I do any more rescues it will probably be from PetSmart. I just wanted to try one more time on a Petco rescue. Wish me luck that she stays alive. We aren't naming her for a few days just to make sure.
ashlyn1984 is offline   Reply With Quote