Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2011, 09:11 PM   #1 
JeanLuc2

Exclamation Update on JL...

Hi guys,

Well tonight when my mom called to check if I arrived in Ohio safely (which I did) our family friend who is the best person to ask about Betta fish stuff was at my house. So, I had her look at JL and tell me if it was tail biting, fin rot, or something else and she told me that it is fin rot....... .

Now my poor mom has gone into Betta nursing mode and now she has to take care of him (being totally clueless as she is) until I get back home on Monday. Our family friend has instructed her (and I) to change from our awful Kansas tap water to water bottle water that is not distelled, get 1 gallon of the water ready (exactly half of what his bowl is now) with a little tiny amount of MelaFix, and dish out or pour out half of his water so that we can get rid of the bad bacteria and keep some of the good every day or every other. So, now my mom is off with our friend getting new water, and she is going to do a full 100% bowl cleaning tommorow.

His bowl is a 2 gallon, has a heater, rocks, a super soft silk plant, Betta log (his ultimate favorite toy on the planet), and the little pirate skull from PetSmart. It gets a 100% changing once a week, and does not have a filter at the moment cause JL decided a couple months ago to get stuck in it so I now have to figure something out.

We may try to do the salt treatment as well but that is kind-of up to our family friend who is helping my mom out a LOT right now. It's also up to my mom who is doing this with barely any knowledge on how to nurse a sick little Betta.

So here's my question: Is there anything else you all can suggest that I can forward to my mom? Once I get home on Monday I am pretty much going to take over the nursing with help from our friend but for now we are basically in saving mode since our friend said he has anywhere from a few days to a week or so to live unless we catch it and treat it fast.

My little boy is a fighter so I am about positive that he will live through this latest bout, but if any of you have any suggestions at all treatment wise PLEASE tell me.

Thanks so much =D

PS: Our family friend also mentioned that pretty much all of her Bettas died in August so, this definitely seems to be a trend (given she had so many) mainly due to the water in Kansas. She was also quite amazed that I've managed to keep him alive for nearly a year on the tap water with Prime.
JeanLuc2 is offline   Reply With Quote