Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2011, 09:26 PM   #1 
BS96TB94

Slime coat= flaking white

I have a betta thats probably only a month old. I read some posts by people saying they feed live food to their bettas. I decided to try, went to the rain bucket and got two mosquito larvae and a lot of bloodworms. I gave the mosquito larvae to the male and a few bloodworms, the female had a few bloodworms too, keep in mind that these were alive. A little later i noticed my male started having spasms and would only calm down when he went to breathe and would spasm some more. The female was fine, almost acting stoned, she was moving her whole body back and forth in a sway. Anyway I immediately threw the worms out and QT him and put salt in with him. I don't have aquarium salt, rock salt or epsom. I used iodized, is this fine. Now he has spots on his fin, pretty everyone of them, that almost looks like he has lint stuck to him, little fibers, what is this and other ways to treat him.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78- 84
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes, but was taken out for awhile for tank clean
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?African Dwarf frog moved because of water quality( different problem unless connected) and Mystery snail

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Freeze-dried bloodworms, Bettamin flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 blodworms 2-3x a day of small pinch of flakes 1-2x

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?20% bi-weekly, plants are in tanks too. a lot more now with the water
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?20%-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Jungle Start Right

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? only Chlorine and pH

Ammonia:---
Nitrite:---
Nitrate:---
pH:7.8-8.5
Hardness:---
Alkalinity: ---

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?asided from the white no
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? no
When did you start noticing the symptoms?3 days ago, about
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?yes, iodized salts in water
Does your fish have any history of being ill? not besides the spasms
How old is your fish (approximately)? about a month

Sorry its so long want to be sure I cover everything, I'm observant

The water has a high pH because of the planted tank, the peat moss raised it i wonder if it's all connected. he was in the tank 2-3 days with everything setup. He also has has planaria as tankmates.
BS96TB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:39 PM   #2 
BS96TB94

try to get pictures but no guarantees its getting late
Old 07-26-2011, 11:30 PM   #3 
Sakura8

Peat moss should actually lower the pH, so that's odd. Uhm, if you can get aquarium salt, the sooner the better. I'm not sure iodized is good for them. Also, you may want to switch your water conditioner to API Stress Coat, it's a really good water conditioner that will detoxify heavy metals; a lot of water conditioners only detoxify chlorine and chloramines.

It sounds like there may have been something in the water with the worms and larvae. Did you rinse them off before feeding them? I'm concerned that there was some sort of chemical in the water that you were perhaps unaware of that is causing the spasms and strange behavior in your bettas. The white stuff flaking off is excess slime coat. He probably began producing extra to counteract whatever is wrong with him or possibly as a reaction to the iodized salt.

Is your guy still spasming? Keep him in warm water in a dim room so he can stay as calm as possible. Get the aquarium salt as soon as you can. I hope your little guy gets better, both of you hang in there and keep us posted.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:41 PM   #4 
BS96TB94

Yes he quit spasms. If it's just slime coat should I take him out and put him in regular water. I don't really want to put him in the tank til I get the ph under control. Yes I put them in a bottle of drinking water and shook then used a turkey baster to put them in his tank. The bottle says it " MAKES WATER SAFE FOR FISH IMMEDIATELY. Reduces stress, removes chlorine and chloramine, neutralizes harmful metals, stimulates fish slime coat naturally, adds beneficial electrolytes" it has Allantion. But I'm almost empty so I might get some API brand. Thanks for the info and I'll be sure to post new developments. Does the slime coat cover the fins
Old 07-26-2011, 11:54 PM   #5 
Sakura8

I think the slime coat does cover the fins. I'm glad he quit spasming. Since you rinsed the worms, I don't know what would cause his reaction like that. That is very puzzling to me. I wonder if he was perhaps choking on a piece of worm that was too big for him.

You might want to just put him in regular water until he can go back in his tank. Acclimate him, though, so he doesn't get shocked by the sudden change in water.

I hope he gets better, hopefully it was a temporary reaction to the bloodworms.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:04 AM   #6 
BS96TB94

I already have him floating to keep him warm. Thanks. The dorsal has kind of a tiny ball of white on the tip. I think it's only one though. Normal for his condition?
Old 07-27-2011, 12:15 AM   #7 
Sakura8

I think so, but keep an eye on it. If it gets bigger or changes, then it could be something that needs treating.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:20 AM   #8 
BS96TB94

Alright thank you so much.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:21 AM   #9 
Sakura8

You're welcome. I really hope this helps him.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:58 AM   #10 
bettaloverforever16

If it was rinsed off lke you said I could think of choking. I hope he gets better (:

Bettas can't have seizures can they?
bettaloverforever16 is offline   Reply With Quote