Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2011, 10:31 AM   #1 
gigibetta

The billionth water question you've been asked....

I know you guys get this stuff all the time, sorry...

I recently started a job and there was already a betta fish here when I started. They just use tap water for him. When someone else changed the water, I asked if they were just using tap water. I've had bettas before and know that plain tap water is not safe. Well, that's what they've been using (with no conditioner) and the fish seems fine (visually to me, at least). I still don't feel right about it. My co-workers told me ta water is fine and that's what they've always kept their own bettas in. They also think you can just let tap water sit for a few hours and change the tank, but in my experience, it is supposed to sit at least 24 hours. Anyway, I just want some advice on what steps to take to change his water.

I know it can be dangerous to change from one type of water to another. I bought some spring water at the store. I don't know if it's truly spring water, since it's just the grocery store brand. So, do I have to bevery gradual with introducing this water to the fish? If so, how gradual? What steps should I take the switch the water from tap to spring? Is this water really perfectly safe or does it still need conditioner? His water is dirty right now and needs changed. When I change it today, should I just introduce a little bit of the Spring water?

I feel that when someone else changes the water they'll just use tap water, and that shock of switching back from spring to tap will be bad for him too. Maybe I'm just better off buying conditioner at the store and keeping it here, so anyone can use it. How much is the water conditioner? To use it, do I also have to get the water testing strips?
gigibetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum...

I would get some dechlroinator and use that with the tap water that has always been used.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:01 PM   #3 
gigibetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Welcome to the forum...

I would get some dechlroinator and use that with the tap water that has always been used.......
Yeah, I thought that might be the best solution. How much does it usually cost?
Old 07-27-2011, 02:07 PM   #4 
Jirothebetta

Its usually about 5 bucks a bottle...
Jirothebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:14 PM   #5 
gigibetta

How should I change the water if I use the dechlorinator? Should I only change a certain amount of it since he's not used to the dechlorinated water? I just don't want to shock him. Also, if I get the dechlorinator, does that mean I also have to get the water test strips?
Old 07-27-2011, 02:43 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

As long as you plan to make regular water changes...I don't think you need the test strips, however, if you wanted to test the water I would invest in a master test kit or take some water to a local fish shop for test...they usually do it for free.....

I would start with partial changes...how big is the tank, filter, live plants and how much and how often did the water get changed before you took over and do you know if the office is on well water, has a filtering system like an RO unit, if this is city supplied water.... etc.....I ask because if you are in the USA and using tap water that has not been treated the fish should be dead or in really bad shape due to the chlorine and chloramine that is used in city water supply to make it safe to drink.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:41 PM   #7 
gigibetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
As long as you plan to make regular water changes...I don't think you need the test strips, however, if you wanted to test the water I would invest in a master test kit or take some water to a local fish shop for test...they usually do it for free.....

I would start with partial changes...how big is the tank, filter, live plants and how much and how often did the water get changed before you took over and do you know if the office is on well water, has a filtering system like an RO unit, if this is city supplied water.... etc.....I ask because if you are in the USA and using tap water that has not been treated the fish should be dead or in really bad shape due to the chlorine and chloramine that is used in city water supply to make it safe to drink.....
Well, I came in today and someone had already changed the water. They used tap. It's city supplied. They didn't put the fish in it. They changed all of the water, but he's currently sitting in a smaller container with old water from his tank. Do you suggest I take some of the water out of his tank and put some of the old water back in with him?

The container is probably a half gallon, with no filter, no live plants, nothing. I told them he needs a bigger tank with a filter, but they think they know what they're talking about and they believe all the old betta myths about them living in tiny jars!

I bought the water conditioner. I haven't put it in. Would it be safe for me to put it in now and put him in th water right after? I just don't want the change from tap water to the treated water to shock him.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #8 
bettaloverforever16

I would slowly adjust him to the new water first, so you don't shock him.
bettaloverforever16 is offline   Reply With Quote