Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2011, 11:27 AM   #1 
Sakura8

Sand Going Bad

I had some white CaribSea Instant Aquarium sand in three of my tanks: a 3g, a 2.5g isolation tank, and a 10g community tank. While cleaning the 2.5g, I noticed the sand had turned completely gray and was giving off a horrible sulfur smell. I dumped it all out and thought maybe it was just because the 2.5g was too small or something. But now I'm noticing the sand in my 10g is turning gray in places also. I've lost two cory cats in that tank, could it be the sand? And yet I had cory cats in the 2.5g for isolation and they did fine, it wasn't until they got into the 10g that they died. I'm getting concerned because I have my very dear betta Sherman in the 3g tank. So far the sand in there looks okay but now I'm worried.

What could be causing the sand to go bad? Could it be killing fish? I made sure not to put too thick of a layer in the 10g and there was less than a half inch in the isolation tank. Any help or suggestions would be welcomed.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:31 AM   #2 
Tisia

I think it's going anaerobic, I believe it's basically gasses building up in the sand. poking at it and moving it around some now and then helps

Last edited by Tisia; 07-27-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:10 PM   #3 
Sakura8

Won't that release toxic gases into the water that could kill the fish? Or should I take the fish out, stir it up, do a water change, and then put them back in?
Old 07-27-2011, 12:16 PM   #4 
copperarabian

with sand you should move it around every few days, little pockets of bacteria can develop if it isn't disturbed and can kill you fish. I would take your fish out, mess up the sand so all the bad stuff is released, then do a 100% water change. You could also start over with new sand if you wanted.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:21 PM   #5 
Sakura8

Since it's already turning gray, maybe I should start with some new sand. Double-drat. I wonder if what happened was my cories who died hit an air pocket of that toxic gas and it just dropped 'em right in their tracks. Since the cories are always rooting around in the sand, that is.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:44 PM   #6 
fightergirl2710

You'll go broke if you replace the sand all the time lol! You have to rake it every few weeks to remove those gases and bacteria.. I put up a link to how to make a little sand rake in the i have no self control thread, see if that helps. :D
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:49 PM   #7 
Sakura8

You rock, Fighter. Thanks Tisia and Copper, this helps me a ton. Wish I'd thought to ask you all BEFORE I got the dang sand. I might not have killed two cories that way.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:52 PM   #8 
fightergirl2710

Aww shucks!
It wasn't your fault, you didn't know, it was an accident. Now you'll know what to do. :D
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:05 PM   #9 
Sakura8

Thanks Fighter, you always know what to say to cheer me up.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #10 
Pitluvs

Get yourself some Malaysian Trumpet Snails :) They burrow in the sand and rummage around looking for nomnoms. I have them in my tank, I'll stir my sand once a month just in case :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote