Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2011, 05:29 PM   #1 
Sky

Heater for a 2.5 gallon tank?

Hello everyone!

I'm currently looking to buy a heater for my betta fish. Unfortunately, I don't know which I should get so I'm looking for any suggestions, recommendations, or advice. I have a 2.5 Gallon Aqueon Mini Bow Desktop tank and it's an acrylic tank, so I'm slightly worried about heaters melting through the tank which is another reason why I haven't purchased a heater yet.

Does anyone know which heater is the best for a 2.5 gallon acrylic tank? I was looking at the Marineland Thermal Plastic Shatterproof Heater (10 watts) but I'm hesitant to buy it just yet.

Thank you.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:00 PM   #2 
xMandy

Have you ever seen Zoomed betta heaters?
I have two. I use them in my one gallon and my 2.5g. Works great. :)
It's also nice because it can go under the gravel. The only thing you see is the cord.
xMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:52 PM   #3 
Lion Mom

I have a few of the Hagen Elite Mini 25 watt heaters is as little as 1 3/4 gallons & they work great. Also, they are 100% submersible & adjustable.

No worry with the acrylic tanks - I heat all my acrylic tanks and have for years. :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...sr=8-1&seller=
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:41 PM   #4 
gummi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
I have a few of the Hagen Elite Mini 25 watt heaters is as little as 1 3/4 gallons & they work great. Also, they are 100% submersible & adjustable.

No worry with the acrylic tanks - I heat all my acrylic tanks and have for years. :)

I've seen conflicting information regarding the submersible nature of the Hagen Elite Mini. I've seen several comments on various forums about them being fully submersible, but in the description on most web sites it says that they're not, including the product description in the Amazon link that you posted. I leave the adjustment knob of mine out of the water just in case. I wish there was a definitive answer on this.
gummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:44 PM   #5 
Sky

Quote:

Thanks for the advice! I'm pretty new to heaters. I just had a couple of questions. I went ahead and followed your link (thank you for providing one!), and I read that it is not a fully submersible heater, and yet in the title of the product it says it is? So it is fully submersible? Also, I saw that it has a suction to the actual tank. Is it attached to a long chord that you have to plug into an outlet? One last question, does it tell you what temp. the water is? Thanks again!
Old 06-26-2011, 09:50 PM   #6 
danifacetastic

I used to heat my 1 gallon with a 25 watt heater and it worked fine. Now I use the same 25 watt to heat my 10 gallon.
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:54 PM   #7 
Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMandy View Post
Have you ever seen Zoomed betta heaters?
I have two. I use them in my one gallon and my 2.5g. Works great. :)
It's also nice because it can go under the gravel. The only thing you see is the cord.
Thanks for the advice! Nope. Never heard of it. I'll check it out.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:16 PM   #8 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
Thanks for the advice! I'm pretty new to heaters. I just had a couple of questions. I went ahead and followed your link (thank you for providing one!), and I read that it is not a fully submersible heater, and yet in the title of the product it says it is? So it is fully submersible? Also, I saw that it has a suction to the actual tank. Is it attached to a long chord that you have to plug into an outlet? One last question, does it tell you what temp. the water is? Thanks again!
Yes, it IS fully submersible. I have mine in a horizontal position at the bottom of the tanks/bowls I use them in.

Yup - long cord that is plugged in to an outlet. Don't worry, the cord is water proof!

The one thing lacking on these heaters is the lack of temperature numbers to help you set it. You have to play with it a little using your thermometer to get it set to where you want it, but once you do I have have them to be VERY dependable.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:01 PM   #9 
Sky

Quote:
Yes, it IS fully submersible. I have mine in a horizontal position at the bottom of the tanks/bowls I use them in.

Yup - long cord that is plugged in to an outlet. Don't worry, the cord is water proof!

The one thing lacking on these heaters is the lack of temperature numbers to help you set it. You have to play with it a little using your thermometer to get it set to where you want it, but once you do I have have them to be VERY dependable.
Sounds great! One last question, please excuse my ignorance, but could I burn myself if I touched the heater while it's on in my tank or could my fish burn himself? Because he would go poke it as soon as he saw it.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:31 PM   #10 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
Sounds great! One last question, please excuse my ignorance, but could I burn myself if I touched the heater while it's on in my tank or could my fish burn himself? Because he would go poke it as soon as he saw it.
No problem!

I have been keeping fish (and heaters) for over 10 years and have yet had a fish burn himself. I haven't burned myself yet, either!

Sure, if you grad the end with the heating element it IS uncomfortable, but haven't actually burned myself.

Hope that helps!

Tags
heater