Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2011, 09:46 PM   #1 
fishytheamazing

Question New fish after the fact?

I inherited my betta, a red Veil tail named 'Count' (but lovingly called 'Fishy'), from a good friend at school. No one is quite sure whether I'm still fish-sitting for the summer or have assumed full custody. I've recently moved him to a 10gal tank. My friend thinks he should have company in his new home and suggested that we go fish shopping once we get back to school in September. I know the suggested method of having a betta in a community tank is to introduce the betta last, so my question is this: Is it possible to successfully introduce a small school to an established betta tank? Or should I tell my friend to buy her own tank if she wants more fish?

Also, I don't have a heater YET (because my a/c stays set on 78dgs all the time). I'm planning to buy one in the next week hopefully, and I'm wondering if there's a particular type/style/brand to get so that Fishy is most comfortable and safe.

Sorry to be long-winded...
fishytheamazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:25 PM   #2 
TonyK

First off welcome to the forum. I would make it first priority to pick up a heater before you do anything. The heater you choose should be 50 watts and adjustable. Try and stay away the the preset heaters. I've heard they sometime have problems keeping temperature in the correct range.

I can't help on fish question. I don't have any tankmates for them.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:28 PM   #3 
fishytheamazing

Thanks so much! Yeah, I had thought the preset heaters seemed iffy at best.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:39 PM   #4 
Shaon

I use Eheim Jager heaters. Here is a link: http://www.eheim.com/products/detail/Jager-Heaters

It works great for my 15G! It's submersible, adjustable and also my favourite part, it has a recalibration system. When the temperature is too hot or too cold, the heater will turn off or on depending on what temperature you set it at. Fair warning though, they are expensive o.O

As for your tankmates question, I'm not an expert so take my words on this lightly. Observe your Betta's temperament, if it flares a lot and is super hyper I may be cautious in adding other fish. If it's peaceful or less active, you can try adding ghost shrimp (inexpensive) and see the Betta's reaction...at worst your Betta will be fasting for a few day if you catch my drift...
Shaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:21 AM   #5 
fishytheamazing

Ok, thanks Shaon! I'll keep that in mind about the Ghost Shrimp. And the Jager heater doesn't look to be any more expensive than what I was expecting to have to pay.

p.s. Do you know if there's much of a safety difference between having the heater in the tank itself as opposed to putting it in the filter?
Old 07-29-2011, 12:34 AM   #6 
Shaon

Depends on what kind of filter you have. I think the Jager brand heaters are pretty big and they will not fit into a filter (assuming you have a hang on back filter). I would suggest you put it in the tank itself but depending on the type of filter you have maybe other members can suggest otherwise ;)
Old 07-29-2011, 08:15 AM   #7 
fishytheamazing

Yes, it is a HOB.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:58 AM   #8 
Shaon

Considering you have a 10G tank, I'm guessing your filter is too small to have a heater put inside it. What you can do is place the heater (it has suction cups) close to the outflow of the filter.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:04 PM   #9 
fishytheamazing

Great, thanks! I have a perfect corner for it next to the filter intake. I'll have the heater tonight - my mom is picking one up and bringing it with her since she and my dad are coming to see me this weekend. (And she lives much, much closer to Petsmart than I do....)
Old 07-29-2011, 12:15 PM   #10 
jeanclaudeasher

You should be able to get tank mates for your betta if he isnt too aggressive, I have had mollies in with a betta as well as neon tetras. The neon tetras need to be keep in a group of 10 or more because they start picking on the betta if their group is too small. I currently have ghost shrimp in with my bettas and those work nicely as well. Before you add any new fish to the tank you should move the plants and decorations around, that way your betta doesnt have a territory staked out.
jeanclaudeasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
community fish, heater recommendation