Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2011, 03:25 PM   #151 
fightergirl2710

He deserves a break, what a good dad! :D
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:36 AM   #152 
Jirothebetta

Hey guys thought I would do a quick update!

So far both Jiro and Kurai are healed up and looking like their old selves again and the babies have all graduated from infusoria to BBS

I've had about two big scares since I last posted. One was a temp drop(I lost about 4 ) and another was a damsel fly nymph(they look a lot like dragon fly larva) I found him in the tank perched in my mossy plants looking hungery this morning! I grabed him out of there as quickly as I could but there's no telling what kind of damaged he's done...stupid damsel fly(as a side note, blood worms are actually damsel fly larva. Something to chew on if you feed you fish live blood worms )

I seem to have ended up with about 10 or 20(of course these guys are such good hiders. I can stare at the tank for an hour and not see a single one and then bam, suddenly about 10 are swimming along the top so I'm not really sure of the exact numbers) But I seem to have ended up with a good manageable amount so I'm fairly happy

....I will probably post some pictures this evening if I get the chance! They have about doubled in size in the last few days
Jirothebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:43 AM   #153 
Sakura8

Grr, I'm sorry to hear about the damsel fly. *squish bug* But 10-20 is a good number. Lots of pretty little bettas waiting to grow up. I'm glad to hear Jiro and Kurai are back to 100% too.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:02 PM   #154 
Jirothebetta

Yeah, the damsel fly was a panic moment, especially since I couldn't find one fry that morning, but once I took him out they imediately started showing up all over the tank. It was another one of those "Phew" moments XD

Its definitely an ease on the heart to have both of my beauties back to full color. Jiro actually had me very worried for a couple of days. He would just barely swim around the tank and had turned a very very pale grey with serious stress stripes. He looked about the same way he had looked when I first brought him home. It really scared me! I kept thinking about how Ncpanters lost her beautiful calisto over night and it nearly had me in tears...thankfully pulled through after about 4 dayz of making me worry half to death. Kurai already grew back her fins and Jiro's looking his normal dark color's again, he even blew me a bubble nest this morning

Last edited by Jirothebetta; 08-17-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #155 
fightergirl2710

D: Blood worms are midge fly larva.. Maybe what you're giving them isn't bloodworms.. O.o
Old 08-17-2011, 12:13 PM   #156 
Jirothebetta

...Well that was a brain fart moment O.o I don't know how I got midge and damsel flies confused...I guess my sleepy brain made that weird connection XD...but it does make me wonder where the creature came from then? I do know for a fact what I'm feeding is blood worms though...
Old 08-17-2011, 12:20 PM   #157 
fightergirl2710

Weird... :/ Do you have some plnts in there? It could have hitched a ride or whatever left it there, flew in from somewhere and laid eggs.. I think you should keep an eye for others O.o
Old 08-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #158 
Sakura8

I'm glad Jiro pulled through and I definitely agree with Fighter, keep an eye out for any more of those things.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:04 PM   #159 
bettaloverforever16

Glad to hear both parents made a full recovery, and you have plenty of little bettas!!!
bettaloverforever16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:08 PM   #160 
Jirothebetta

Sorry it took so long for me to reply (busy day) I just did a decent search of the tank. I can't seem to find any more damsel fly nymphs...not that that makes me feel relaxed in any way. I'm tempted just to take all the plants and hiding spots out of there so I can get a decent head count and make sure I really am rid of those disgusting things XP...I just don't think I could handle waking up one morning and not finding a single baby