Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2011, 12:18 AM   #1 
SageMyster

Wink The Betta Addiction... what do I do now?!

When I went to get my pretty boy, I had my mind on a beautiful black and blue Betta; one I had seen off of a website, though I can't remember which! But of course, I fell in love with Harlot, a red veiltail (my favorite kind) with turquoise stripes along his tail and white glimmers under his eyes. Perfect, right?!

Well. I'm new to this. I admit that I am anything but an expert, but when I got Harlot, I was researching at record speed and got him to near-health and fin restoration after poor Petco maintenance. But for those of you who are acquainted with Harlot's antics, he tends to get himself into all kinds of trouble. Sassy personality. Temper. He ended up getting caught in a silk plant for an undeterminable amount of time, and stressed as he was, destroyed much of his caudal fin.

So here I was, an hour ago, in Petco to get some API Stress Coat to fix Harlot up AGAIN, when I passed the Betta isle and ... I found him. HIM.

I had forgotten to bring my phone along the way, so I have no pictures. But suffice it to say, he was a healthy young veiltail, who looked much like this:

With the shimmery coating and scales of this guy:
http://watershed3.tripod.com/betta_splendins.jpg

Black face with orange eyes, shimmery royal blue body, beautiful. But quite worn and, as Harlot had been, a Betta in distress with damaged fins and depleting color. Just a baby who needs some TLC for fast rejuvenation.

I admit it. I fell in love. I have even named him Merlotte. But I asked the store to hold him for 24 hours because... I can't decide! I'm a pre-med biology major with a minor in psychology. I'm going to be involved in clubs. I have a heavy load, plus I want to be social. I've never had a fish in my dorm room before, so I don't know what it will be like once I do.

Will caring for more than one Betta be that much work, since I already have all the supplies and whatnot, other than the tank and decor? I simply can't decide! I want him so badly, but at the same time, if he and Harlot will take up too much of my time together, I can't... I... ugh! Someone please help me decide!

Another thing. Both fish would be in individual 1gal tanks (all my uni will allow, to my knowledge), not the same one. Harlot currently gets 2-3 50%-75% and the occasional 100% tank change per week. Is it possible to do this concurrently? Would the workload be drastically different, in your opinions?

Advice would be much appreciated!

Last edited by SageMyster; 07-29-2011 at 12:23 AM.
SageMyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:09 AM   #2 
bettaloverforever16

I would say if you think you can care for two bettas go for it
bettaloverforever16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:09 AM   #3 
maggiegator

I am impulsive myself, so I would have just gotten the second boy and dealt with whatever followed. xP But I'd say just try and think about how much time Harlot takes. How much time do you spend a week cleaning the tanks and all that other stuff? Then double the time, because you're going to need to give the same tlc to Merlotte. Can you feasibly see that time frame working into your schedule? Do you think you can put them first? If you come home late one night and are exhausted, are you going to be able to force yourself to stay up an extra few minutes to wash a tank?

If I was in your situation, I'd just set up "appointments." Treat a tank cleaning as if it's a class -- there are specific times you do it each week, and if you miss it there are consequences, even if just small ones. And if something pressing comes up that gets in the way, make sure you schedule another "appointment" for later that day or the next day. That way you never have to stress about "oh crap... when was the last time I cleaned Merlotte's tank... was that Tuesday or did I clean Harlot's on Tuesday?" or whatever.

Enough rambling from me now, haha. But hopefully that helped!
maggiegator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:11 AM   #4 
Sakura8

SageMyster, you caught the betta bug bad. And you're like me, you fall in love with the ones that are a little beat up.

Let me ask you two questions:
*How long does it take for you to usually clean Harlot's tank and change his water?
*Have you ever been tempted to or actually put off one of Harlot's water changes for a few days?

These are the important questions because it all stems around keeping a 1 gallon tank clean. It doesn't take much time to feed them or give them a little attention, but it DOES take time to change the water. A betta can go for a week or two without food but a week or two without water changes and you'll have a sick betta.

Two things that may or may not make water changes easier or faster:
*Get two 1 gallon jugs of spring water. Drink the water, you won't need it. When the jugs are empty, fill them up and add your water conditioner. Now they're ready for when you have to do your water changes. Just remember to fill them up and and the water conditioner after each water change so they're all ready to go.
* When you change Harlot's water, do you take him out of his tank? You can leave him in there for all but 100% water changes. You can drain it down to 95% and as long as there's enough water to cover him, he'll be fine in there.

Definitely take a few moments to really think about how busy you're going to be and about how much time it takes to change water. I know you'll make the right decision.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:06 PM   #5 
SageMyster

Sakura, I love your idea with the bottles! That would definitely save some time! And I would clean their tanks at the same time, which would also save time, since I won't have to dig out supplies. For a half-water change, it really doesn't take me so long to clean Harlot's tank... so... after much deliberation....

Hell. I'm off to Petco to claim Merlotte.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:07 PM   #6 
SageMyster

Thank you all so much for your suggestions and help! You helped me come to the right conclusion that will best please me. :)
Old 07-29-2011, 07:34 PM   #7 
LittleBettas

Like everyone is saying, its what you think you can manage, I personally LOVE leaning tanks out, I find it relaxing, I have five bettas currently :P and I have a easy set up, I have two bettas, Wildfire and Hercules, in quarantine due to SBD and torn fins, so right now I clean their tanks out eVERYdDAY 100% however, what I do with the other three (and plan to do to these two) is assign a day to them, Tihs is Monday (100% water changes), King is Tuesday, and Pickle is now Wednesday, and so on, I find it easier this way, and I have developed a schedual, the last thing I do before bed it lean tanks (this way they have time to eat).... right now Im acutally cleaning out 3 tanks a day, I have about a week leftfor Wildfire... and who knows howlong for Hercules, I enjoy it though and I dont mind staying up till 1:30 cleaning tanks (and I have done that, lol)
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:24 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Haha, LittleBettas, I've cleaned tanks early in the morning too.

SageMyster, I really like maggiegator's idea of regarding the water changes as "appointments" or "classes" too. If you think of it as a class where you're only allowed one absence before they drop you (and no money back either!), it will become very important to change the water and you won't put it off. Think of it as Water Changes 101. Now that you have Merlotte, you're actually in Water Changes 102.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote