Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2011, 09:25 AM   #1 
fishytheamazing

Exclamation Fin biting!

I moved Count to a new 10gal tank last night about 8 o'clock. He seemed unsure of his new home for awhile, When I went to bed at almost 2, he was fine. When I got up this morning, his dorsal and caudal fins were shredded! I immediately unplugged the filter because I thought it might have done something to him, but then I saw it! He swam in a circle and bit his own tail! He has also discovered his reflection and and been attempting to get to the "other" fish. He seems to be swimming without difficulty, but hasn't chilled out since I put in the tank.

His tank isn't heated yet, but is a constant 78dgs. His tank is in the living room, but before yesterday he was kept in my sewing room with lots of windows. Could that cause him stress? He remained perfectly happy (bubblenest included) when we relocated from school to home in May.... He lives with some Amazon Swords, an Anubis, a plastic bonsai, and bridge/rock thing the Anubis is anchored on.

Please help! What can I do?
fishytheamazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:03 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Dang...thats too bad.......tailbiting can be so frustrating and since this is a new behavior...I am sure it is related to the new tank as you probably already suspect....hopefully it will resolve on its own once he adjust to the new an bigger space...until then keep the water clean and watch for a secondary infection....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:18 PM   #3 
fishytheamazing

Thanks! Yeah, he seems to have chilled out a bit in the last couple of hours - he actually sat on a leaf for awhile! I've got some Kordon Fish Protector - would it be alright to add some to his water?
Old 07-29-2011, 05:31 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

In my opinion/experience...fresh/dechlorinated water from water changes...is one of the best medications you can use....adding more chemical IMO is not always the best...but that is just my opinion......I like to use a more holistic natural approach in keeping and treating......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:44 PM   #5 
fishytheamazing

Thanks!