Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2011, 02:50 PM   #1 
RoderickUsher

Exclamation Food Frustrations!!

I am shocked at how little consistency I find in thoughts about feeding bettas. As far as I can see the range on what people suggest goes from 2 pellets once a day to Aqueons suggestion of "feed several times daily as much as can be eaten in three minutes."

It's absurd! :)

I'm just trying to do right by Proximo. I've been doing 2 pellets twice a day with one day a week off. Except for today....where just to see I decided to feed him "as much as he would eat in 3 minutes." I stopped about 10 seconds in after he snarfed his fifth pellet and continued to look at me as though I'd not yet fed him.

Anyone know why this area of fish care has so much less attention put on it? The forum sticky's on bett care are GREAT but the food parts are always less detailed.

Thoughts?

P.S I am fairly sure Proximo would eat me if he could.
RoderickUsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:00 PM   #2 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoderickUsher View Post
I am shocked at how little consistency I find in thoughts about feeding bettas. As far as I can see the range on what people suggest goes from 2 pellets once a day to Aqueons suggestion of "feed several times daily as much as can be eaten in three minutes."

It's absurd! :)

I'm just trying to do right by Proximo. I've been doing 2 pellets twice a day with one day a week off. Except for today....where just to see I decided to feed him "as much as he would eat in 3 minutes." I stopped about 10 seconds in after he snarfed his fifth pellet and continued to look at me as though I'd not yet fed him.

Anyone know why this area of fish care has so much less attention put on it? The forum sticky's on bett care are GREAT but the food parts are always less detailed.

Thoughts?

P.S I am fairly sure Proximo would eat me if he could.
I think most bettas will eat..and eat..and eat..and eat... So I wouldn't go by the "as much as he would eat in 3 minutes." rule...It sounds like you're doing it right...2 pellets twice a day sounds fine. I believe what the package should say is "remove uneaten food within 3 minutes" . However, food rarely goes uneaten in a betta tank.At least mine, anyways.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Since Bettas and Betta food can vary so much it is hard to give exact numbers or amounts to feed....a lot of feeding opinion are based on that members food they have sitting in front of them- not what you have sitting in front of you.....my two pellets may be 10 times larger than yours or vice versa.......

Feeding is sometimes a trial and error...a bit of common sense in some cases....you can't go by how the Betta acts in regard to feeding most times, since Betta can eat non stop to the point of causing health problems and even death

Based on the Betta size, age, growth and development stages and tolerance of some foods in regards to digestion, general overall health and nutritional needs...a good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals is best...remembering that the Betta stomach is about the size of its eye....you also need to base food and feeding on nutritional needs at the time....for example...if it is a young/growing Betta or injured/sick Betta or a healthy adult.......

Bettas are pigs and will act like it has never been fed and will wag its tail begging for food...resist temptation because overfeeding can cause problems....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #4 
RoderickUsher

Thanks for the reasurance! I figured 2 twice a day was ok, he seems active, and blows bubbles....but it boggled my mind that there seems to be some success doing anything from 1 to 6 pellets a day. It's like saying that its fine for me to eat anywhere between 1 and 6 thousand calories a day, a huge range!!
Old 07-29-2011, 03:22 PM   #5 
RoderickUsher

Thanks for weighing in OldFishLady (I posted just as you did)

That's a great point about pellet size. And since you mentioned age....

Is there anyway for me to guess how old my betta is? I got him from petsmart, so who knows how long he'd been in that little plastic tub.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:49 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Laffs....I seen that we both posted at 3:19...surprised we didn't bump heads...lol......

Age-usually Bettas at pet shops like petco, petsmart...the Bettas are generally about 6-8mo of age...the breeders wants to get them finned out as fast as possible for resale-long fins sell..lol......the longer they have them the less profit they make and the more it cost them for the food and care...depending on the supplier/breeder...sometimes the Betta may have been a breeder for them and they may be a bit older-but nearly always less than a year of age since most for-profit breeders spawn their fish at 4-6mo and can get a lot of spawns from a single male in a short period of time and almost always they will have a big surplus of females and since females are generally grown out in large tubs together you can get stunting problems and a small female may be mistaken for a young one...this varies from breeder to breeder...they are NOT all created equal...lol......however, they do want their Betta to look good and most get really good care and nutrition...

Remember in the pet shop-the small container that the Bettas are kept in are intended to be temporary homes....display for re-sale...its just not feasible to keep all the Bettas in a 1gal or larger container.....same goes for all the other species of fish kept in too small and overcrowded conditions...this is for re-sale..display.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote