Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2011, 06:37 PM   #1 
Sarahlydear

Green Tea on a healthy fish

So I'm really big about prevention, especially since I'm going to be a college student and won't(can't) be able to afford medication or anything.

Right now I just occasionally put some Aquarium Salt in my bettas tank (weeks apart). I can't afford Almond Indian Leaf or whatever it is that you put in there but my mom is a HUGE tea drinker and she has some decaf Green Tea, Lipton brand. She also has some decaf organic Mint Green Tea (I was thinking no on this one).

Would it be alright for me to put some in my bettas tanks (5gals) even though they are completely healthy?

I'm really wanting to now so they will be in tip-top shape for the drive up to my college (4hrs) and adjusting to a new place and home.

Any advice, as always, is welcome. :)

Thanks;
Sarah
Sarahlydear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:07 PM   #2 
DarkMoon17

It wouldn't hurt. I'm not sure how effective tea is at preventing illness but it should help boost their immune system. As far as prevention goes, the most important thing is regular water changes. In a 5 gal you should be doing one 50% per week and one 100% (or 75-90% if it is filtered) per month. Clean water does wonders. Otherwise just keep them on a varied diet. Though many aquarists might suggest adding Aquarium Salt long term to prevent illness it can actually harm your bettas kidneys so it is best to avoid using it unless you need to. Have fun in college :)
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:40 PM   #3 
Sarahlydear

Well both tanks are cycled and planted so I only do 50%-75%.

Alright then, no more regular Aquarium Salt! :P

Ok should I put the tea bag in a separate bowl, let it soak and then add that water to the tank? Or would just putting it directly into the tank be alright?
Old 07-30-2011, 05:34 PM   #4 
Sarahlydear

Hello? I guess I'm just going to put the tea bag directly into their tanks...
Old 07-31-2011, 07:54 PM   #5 
DarkMoon17

Sorry for the delay! Actually, you should soak the tea bags in a separate bowl of dechlorinated water. Don't worry, it shouldn't hurt them if you put the tea bag directly in this time but in the future let it soak and add the tinted water to the tank gradually.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote