I am having the worst luck... :(

Three fishies gone just this week :(.

Housing
What size is your tank? 55 gal.
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Female betta, platy, glofish, glolite tetras

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tropical flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once or twice a day everyday.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25% weekly, 50% monthly
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress Coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH: 7.8 (Not usual, perhaps the problem?)
Hardness: N/A (but i know it's fairly hard without the conditioner)
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? She was suddenly lethargic and stayed toward the top as if she didn't have the energy to come up for air. And then a platy just died out of no where, no symptoms whatsoever.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Well, she's dead now, but I'm trying to prevent further deaths by figuring out the cause. Like I stated, she was quite lethargic.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Two nights ago, she was dead when I came home an hour ago.
Have you started treating your fish? I floated her in tub with some clean water and a little aquarium salt, I didn't know what else to do and the power was out, so posting wasn't possible.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? All of the deaths in my sorority have been fairly quick and without noticeable symptoms but this particular betta had never been sick while I've had her at least.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had her maybe 6 months.

I would really love some help and suggestions and would rather not have my intelligence undermined because that's a problem I see in this thread particularly. People ask for help and rather than receiving it get lectured on things that they should have done when the problem is what they should do now. I take good care of my fish, a lot of people do, but sometimes they miss things or something happens and they have to ask for help. Be the person to help out rather than make the someone feel even worse.

There was my rant :p haha. But again, I would REALLY appreciate some help.
ChelseaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:30 PM   #2 
Pitluvs

Is your tank cycled? I don't see any Nitrates :(
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:44 PM   #3 
ChelseaK

Ooops I meant to put N/A there because for some reason my test kit doesn't test nitrates. Yes it is cycled. It's been established since January.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:49 PM   #4 
Pitluvs

Hrrm, don't know what to tell you then. And judging by your last paragraph, not sure I'd want too :(
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:08 AM   #5 
Sakura8

You said three deaths. What was the third? I count platy and betta. Are any of the fish acting abnormally like darting or flashing? Also I don't think the 7.8 pH is the cause. My pH is in the 7.4-7.8 range and all my bettas are fine. It might be a little high for the tetras but they do adjust even if it isn't their favorite environment.

Did you notice any other abnormal behavior before your girl became lethargic? Was she getting enough to eat or was she perhaps eating too much? Did she see bloated at all? Did you notice if there were any problems between your betta and the other fish? Tetras CAN be nippy so if they were perhaps nipping her, she might have become stressed, which in turn would lead to more susceptibility to illness.

Also, 55g is pretty big for a betta. Because they come from very shallow still or slow-moving waters, they are not powerful swimmers, even the females but especially the big-finned males. Your girl may have been stressed from having to make long treks up to the surface to breathe. In the future, if you keep a betta in a tank that big, get a betta log so they can hang out at the top or use lots of tall/floating plants. They love the betta logs, though.

Without much info, I can't really say for certain what caused the deaths of your betta and other fish. Usually my first suspect is water parameters but those sound fine. You may want to keep an eye on all fish to make sure they don't show signs of parasites or any other illnesses.

Oh, and I'm sorry you feel that we have not been helping other posters and have instead been lecturing them. However, these so-called lectures, which are usually about water changes, are important and contain info that many betta owners need to know to keep their betta healthy in the future. If you read the posts thoroughly, you will see that we do help all posters who ask for help, offering advice about medicine and treatments. It is simply that we feel it is necessary to bring up the importance of clean water and frequent water changes, especially in cases where the betta is ill because it has been kept in poor water.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:03 PM   #6 
ChelseaK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
You said three deaths. What was the third? I count platy and betta. Are any of the fish acting abnormally like darting or flashing? Also I don't think the 7.8 pH is the cause. My pH is in the 7.4-7.8 range and all my bettas are fine. It might be a little high for the tetras but they do adjust even if it isn't their favorite environment.

Did you notice any other abnormal behavior before your girl became lethargic? Was she getting enough to eat or was she perhaps eating too much? Did she see bloated at all? Did you notice if there were any problems between your betta and the other fish? Tetras CAN be nippy so if they were perhaps nipping her, she might have become stressed, which in turn would lead to more susceptibility to illness.

Also, 55g is pretty big for a betta. Because they come from very shallow still or slow-moving waters, they are not powerful swimmers, even the females but especially the big-finned males. Your girl may have been stressed from having to make long treks up to the surface to breathe. In the future, if you keep a betta in a tank that big, get a betta log so they can hang out at the top or use lots of tall/floating plants. They love the betta logs, though.

Without much info, I can't really say for certain what caused the deaths of your betta and other fish. Usually my first suspect is water parameters but those sound fine. You may want to keep an eye on all fish to make sure they don't show signs of parasites or any other illnesses.

Oh, and I'm sorry you feel that we have not been helping other posters and have instead been lecturing them. However, these so-called lectures, which are usually about water changes, are important and contain info that many betta owners need to know to keep their betta healthy in the future. If you read the posts thoroughly, you will see that we do help all posters who ask for help, offering advice about medicine and treatments. It is simply that we feel it is necessary to bring up the importance of clean water and frequent water changes, especially in cases where the betta is ill because it has been kept in poor water.
Three deaths because one of my favorite boys died just a few nights ago. The rant was built up energy from the post I posted about him in which instead of receiving help, I received endless questions about the water quality so I ran out of time to treat him, and he died. But that is in the past and I'm over it... Now. No she didn't have any abnormal behavior other than the hovering at the top as if needing air. None of the other fish have done or are doing that. She wasn't bloated other than being eggy which she was probably just a few days from dropping her eggs. I do have tall plants and floating plants as well as my decorations reaching close to the top of the tank.

Question: Would treating for parasites even i there aren't any hurt anything?
Old 07-31-2011, 02:10 PM   #7 
Sakura8

Haha, yes, I understand the rant. I'm sorry you didn't receive help in time. :/ I wonder if the oxygen level is okay in the tank since your one girl seemed like she needed air? Maybe an airstone would help circulate things. I'm also wondering about the possibility of gill flukes. I learned from a recent case that not all fish with gill flukes exhibit flashing/rubbing behavior but they do seem to need to surface more often for air because their gills are compromised. I don't think treating for parasites would hurt but I'm not an expert at medications. If you want, you can wait and see if someone posts who IS a medicine expert. What medicine would you use for the treatment?
Old 08-01-2011, 12:00 PM   #8 
ChelseaK

I do have a big air stone, bubble wand thing in there, it's always been in there too. I'm not sure about the medicine yet, I was goin to see what my LPS had but I read about some sort of tablets in another thread I can't quite remember the name though. And yes if some medicine expert should come along that would be very handy!
Are there any physical signs to gill flukes that I can look for in my other fish? In the passing of one of my girls, I'm left with only three females in the tank and so of course one of them got beat up a bit. I currently have a mini sorority of fry that I'm waiting to get bigger so I can introduce them into the big sorority so that none of them get killed at the size they are now. Any way, she has been floating in the tank in her own tub with daily water changes but aside from the fin damage she seems to be a bit more bloated than normal. Any ideas?
Old 08-01-2011, 12:04 PM   #9 
Sakura8

Physical signs of gill flukes include heavy breathing with the mouth opening/closing and the gills moving a lot, darting to the surface for air, rubbing on things, and flashing. Also, really red and inflamed-looking gills.

Did your female happen to see any males? Maybe she is just eggy. Is her eggspot sticking out a lot more than usual? Is she passing any weird whitish/eggish poo?
Old 08-01-2011, 12:59 PM   #10 
ChelseaK

Hmm, I guess I haven't seen any symptoms for gill flukes then. But no, she is beyond eggy, maybe constipated. I am fasting her now and will give her frozen daphnia tonight and see if that does anything. She doesn't have much for poop at all. There are still two females left to roam the sorority, but the one that beat her up still just circles the tub trying to get at her, but she leaves the other one alone completely! It's the weirdest thing.