Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2011, 01:39 PM   #1 
ktrain13

Trouble swimming/Laying on bottom

My fish, Poseidon, seems to be having trouble swimming. He is in a divided 10 gallon on the side that does not have the filter. He used to have no trouble swimming but now he seems to struggle to the top and doesn't stay long once he's at the top. He is still eating, though it's come down to me feeding him a pellet or two when he comes the top on his own since he doesn't come when I open the cover anymore. He swims almost on his side sometimes too. He's also laying on the bottom a lot more than he used to. I don't know if it's because he can't get into his shelter anymore (he's gotten too big for it and I'm getting a new one this week) or if it's something else. I'll probaby get him a leaf hammock too so maybe he won't have to swim too far to the top. Anyway, is there any explanation to how he's acting and is there any way to fix it? I have an empty one gallon and 1.75 gallon that I could put him in if it would help. Oh yeah, he's less than a year old too so I don't think it's an age thing.
ktrain13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

In the 10gal divided/filtered tank....how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, live plants, additives used, has he been sick and or treated in the past 30 days, how long has he been having buoyancy problems and type of food....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:56 AM   #3 
ktrain13

I change out about 2 gallons every week. It gets dirty pretty fast and I don't know why. I condition it with API Stress Coat Plus. He is fed (and has been since I got him) Top Fin color enhancing betta pellets. The temp averages about 80. There are no live plants. He hasn't been sick since I got him. He is a tailbitter, if that makes a difference. He's been having problems for about a week. I think an alternative way to describe it is lethargic. My fish in the other half of the tank is doing just fine.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:46 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I would get him QT in a small container that can be floated in the heated tank to maintain temp in the 76-77F range and start Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt) and tannins along with 100% daily water changes for 10-14 days....

Pre-mix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add Epsom salt 2tsp/gal and tannins...either IAL or Oak leaf and use this water for 100% daily water change in the QT....also, cover the QT with plastic veggie wrap to retain the heat and humidity for the labyrinth organ...

Hold food for 2 days-then offer small frequent meals of high quality varied diet...live is best like mosquito larva.....

In the 10gal-I would increase the regular water change to 50% weekly with vacuum to maintain water quality.....
Old 07-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #5 
ktrain13

Ok. Thanks for the help. Hopefully he gets better soon.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:30 AM   #6 
ktrain13

This might be a silly question, but I just wanted to make sure. Do I use conditioner in the water I'm treating him in or will the epsom salt and tannins condition it? Also, I thought it would be easy to find, but what are tannins and where can I get them? All that I found is that tannins come from wood products.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:51 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

If you normally use dechlorinator...yes...always use dechlorinator with any water used for the Betta.....
Old 07-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #8 
ktrain13

UPDATE: it's been two weeks and I've kept him in a cup floating in the tank filled with epsom salt dissolved in water (2 tsps per gallon like suggested with 100% changes every day). I haven't put him back in the large tank yet to see how he's doing, but from what I can tell by watching him in the cup he's not much better than he was two weeks ago. Anything else I can try or should I set him loose in the large tank?
Old 07-29-2011, 01:24 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

He may have chronic swimbladder...I would start making 50% water changes with fresh/dechlorinated like temp water and get him back in his tank and see how he does......he may need long term Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt) 1tsp/gal.......once the damage is done they will always have buoyancy issues...as long as he can still get to air and is eating well and overall acting okay other than the buoyancy.......he can live a normal life...but if at any time he seems to be suffering you need to do what is right by him....
Old 07-29-2011, 01:28 PM   #10 
ktrain13

Ok. Thank you so much for the help. Is it safe to use epsom salt in the divided 10 gallon with my other fish in there or should I put the one having trouble in my smaller 2 gallon?